A tanda for...

tangobro

Milonga -
Edgardo Donato
(played by the d.j. @ a recent New York City milonga)

Sacale Punta

La Milonga Que Faltaba

Portena Linda

Sin Sabor

tangobro

Pedro Laurenz
(played by the DJ at a recent New York City Milonga)

Alma De Bohemio

Arrabal

Garua

p.s. this is an open thread, please feel free to add
a tanda for...

opendoor

Laurenz always is a good choice (he´s one of my favorite). But I want to add that Arrabal does not fit to the rest (for me anyway). Arrabal is club style, the rest pure salón style.

dchester

Staff member
Laurenz always is a good choice (he´s one of my favorite). But I want to add that Arrabal does not fit to the rest (for me anyway). Arrabal is club style, the rest pure salón style.
I don't know about the club style vs salon style thing, but I do agree that I probably wouldn't put Arrabal in a tanda with the other two songs (definitely not with Garua). For me, the emotions I feel from Garua is about the embrace, while Arrabal is more about the rhythm (although actually a bit of a tweener).

I also love Pedro Laurenz.

dchester

Staff member
Tangobro, thanks for starting this thread. I've considered a few new possibilities as a result of it.

I'm still experimenting with various Troilo combinations. Here is a tanda I plan to try this weekend. Feedback is welcome.

Te Aconsejo que Me Olvides

En Esta Tarde Gris

El Bulín De La Calle Ayacucho

tangobro

Feedback is welcome.
YES!
"Te Aconsejo que Me Olvides" gets me scanning the room for a partner as soon as I hear it. "En Esta Tarde Gris" keeps the feeling flowing & if I managed to get the right partner @ the right time, ending with "El Bulín De La Calle Ayacucho" means I can just sit down & enjoy the afterglow of a good tanda.

UKDancer

I love these early Troilo songs, but do crave a wider range of his music making at milongas. I almost never hear anything except Troilo/Fiorentino from 1941. There is so much more, without needing to include the late concert music.

tangobro

Tanturi/Castillo

(Played by the dj at a recent New York City Milonga)

"Que Me Quiten Lo Bailao"

"Esta Noche Me Emborracho" (example - partial recording)

"Madame Ivonne"

dchester

Staff member
I love these early Troilo songs, but do crave a wider range of his music making at milongas. I almost never hear anything except Troilo/Fiorentino from 1941. There is so much more, without needing to include the late concert music.
What are some of his other songs that you like?

UKDancer

What are some of his other songs that you like?
From only a slightly later period (1943-44) and with singer, Alberto Marino. (BTW, the videos are chosen really for the music, rather than for the dancing):

• Nada Más Que Un Corazón
  • Uno
  • Cuando Tallan los Recuerdos
  • Torrente

tangobro

Margarita Gauthier
aarrrgghhh

OK call me weird - when I dance I'm focused on the music & the dance and don't process words, so when I 1st heard Margarita Gauthier
I danced in blissful ignorance. Once I sat and actually listened to it I could not decide whether to sob silently or slit my wrists, so I went to the snack table for the chocolate cake. Now I find it hard to enjoy dancing to. Way too melancholic, even by Tango standards.

dchester

Staff member
aarrrgghhh

OK call me weird - when I dance I'm focused on the music & the dance and don't process words, so when I 1st heard Margarita Gauthier
I danced in blissful ignorance. Once I sat and actually listened to it I could not decide whether to sob silently or slit my wrists, so I went to the snack table for the chocolate cake. Now I find it hard to enjoy dancing to. Way too melancholic, even by Tango standards.
Note to self: Stay in blissful ignorance.

:D

Dance Ads