African-Americans in the Ballroom World

Hey Everyone,

I am a filmmaker who is considering doing a documentary on the subject of Black ballroom dancers that will also explores the african roots of some of the competition style dances. This forum has been very helpful. I am not a dancer so I will be doing a lot of research before embarking on this project.

If you know of any "must have" people that should be interviewed or featured for a project like this, please let me know.
Chester Whitmore. He has made it his business to study the History of Black Dance. I can't submit urls, so search for chesterwhitmore.
I am a lurker, first time poster who's been reading this thread and finally decided to jump in.

I am a Black American who ballroom dances and I've never experienced overt racism. What I do experience from time-to-time is people seeming surprised at my skilll level. I am by no means advanced, but I am not a beginner either. When I attend a dance party at a studio other than my own (or when we have visitors to our studio) I often get surprised compliments (more so than other non-Black students at my same level.)

I will also concur with the person who posted that I prefer Black American over African-American. I have been to Africa, I felt more American than ever while I was there, and I couldn't wait to get back home. With that said, I am not offended by the term African-American, it's just not my preference.

Angel HI

Welcome to the DF

....I argue that it is equally, or even more true that many Blacks don't take up traditional Ballroom dancing for more practical reasons: They don't care for the music, it's not something you can pick up in a session or two, and you can't dance it at most (Black) dance venues. -ron
Interesting that this thread would be bumped. However, I agree. It's, or was, cultural.

Dance Ads