Awful Music

smidra86

I have a ballroom dance collection of music which includes a Paso Doble version of Pinball Wizard. I can't decide if I hate it because it's destroyed the song, or if I love it because I can dance Paso Doble to Pinball Wizard.
The worst comp in regards to music in my experience was Tufts this year-- they actually had to stop rounds in the middle and restart to a different piece because the tempo was poor, or dancers (even upper level dancers) had trouble finding the beat of the music, it was not pretty. I've never seen another comp do that. My experience at Brown wasn't bad, but it was my first time going this year, so maybe it was better this year than it has been in the past?
Someone told me that at Tufts, they couldn't find an actual ballroom dj and so they just found a random dj and told him to play music for 1:30 and so something like paso where the second highlight is significantly before 1:30 throws people off when they start playing the third section.... on top of which they once started a tango song for a paso.... it was just a bit of a mess....

Also 2 minutes of a fast jive that is prob not competition speed, never again, please..... have mercy.
That is not the first time I have heard that jive in competition. By my count, it's 44 mpm, which is the limit for how fast a jive can be. But 2 minutes of that cannot correlate with having happy feet after.

I was just at a competition this weekend, and the music wasn't bad per say, but for open there were 2 heats in the quarter final, and they played music for the first heat from the beginning, and I was in the second heat so I was all excited that we get to hear the music and can easily get into our dancing and our choreo in latin is phrased very precisely, and instead of just starting the music again for the second heat, the dj just played it continuing from before, so there was no intro and we couldn't get the right phrasing.... it was rather frustrating...
How many bars per minute is a typical Jive for you? In Germany, 43 is perfect competition mode (rules say Jive is to be 42-44 bars per minute). I think this one is on the Casa Musica Vol. 19. Having said that, I'd probably find it quite fast, too. I have the feeling that there is a tendency to play slower music overall... and I love it.

Continuing the song from the previous heat is really unfortunate. Sorry to hear you had a tough time getting the right phrasing...

Oh my, did he slow the Foxtrot in the middle of the phrase?!
Ehm... another question... what is the typical tempo of American Foxtrot...?
I only dance international style and this would be too fast for me. I prefer my SF to be around 28 bars, this one's around 29.5 I believe.

[EDIT - oooops, somehow missed a couple of postings. sorry everyone!
... and apparently my tool for calculation mpm works kind of strangely... I seem to get lower numbers than you guys...]

smidra86

That is not the first time I have heard that jive in competition. By my count, it's 44 mpm, which is the limit for how fast a jive can be. But 2 minutes of that cannot correlate with having happy feet after.
Yeah, I don't have a problem with the song per say. The first time I heard it a few years ago it was my fav song and I played it over and over again, but after a full 4 dances before that all which weren't too slow either, doing 2 minutes as your last dance of the fastest possible speed= not happy me. We got off the floor and I'm like to my partner, walk fast so I can get water but so it doesn't look like I'm about to pass out.

Mr 4 styles

Also 2 minutes of a fast jive that is prob not competition speed, never again, please..... have mercy.
ppffft senior 1 champ latin at southwest regionals samba normal cha slightly long rumba normal THE WHOLE PASO then a two minute jive ( judges must really have been out to lunch errr deep in thought)

one competitor told me "if this is typical for senior 1 we arent doing it!! we will just stay in 2 told her it wasnt

our jive was candyman at full speed

dlliba10

... and apparently my tool for calculation mpm works kind of strangely... I seem to get lower numbers than you guys...]
Re-recalculated and realized I was looking at the rounded whole instead of the actual average MPM -- you're right, it's actually hovering between 29.7 to 30 (apologies to smidra). It should be between 30 and 32 for American style Foxtrot.

smidra86

Re-recalculated and realized I was looking at the rounded whole instead of the actual average MPM -- you're right, it's actually hovering between 29.7 to 30 (apologies to smidra). It should be between 30 and 32 for American style Foxtrot.
It's cool. But that lower mpm can make a huge difference in dancing.

Dance Ads