Ballroom Sponsorship

wyllo

New Member
#41
Kitty said:
Eugene and Maria in latin are definitely sponsored (at least for shoes) - Eugene's picture is on boxes of capezio man's shoes.
I would guess (and hope) that this arrangement goes further than free dance supplies -- it only seems reasonable that if they are the face of Capezio dancesport and endorse the product then they are being compensated monetarily. I don't know if they are, but I believe this would be allowed under USABDA rules since they are among the elite dancers.

I also have heard that some of the top pros are getting corporate sponsorship from non-dance companies (you know, like NASCAR).
 
#42
wyllo said:
I would guess (and hope) that this arrangement goes further than free dance supplies -- it only seems reasonable that if they are the face of Capezio dancesport and endorse the product then they are being compensated monetarily. I don't know if they are, but I believe this would be allowed under USABDA rules since they are among the elite dancers.

I also have heard that some of the top pros are getting corporate sponsorship from non-dance companies (you know, like NASCAR).

I heard that top dancers go through lots of pairs of shoes - like a new pair every week... especially since they are wearing them all day long since they are teaching. so it would be a lot of shoes and I would think it is a good deal in itself.
maybe they get money too, I don't know.
 

Laura

New Member
#45
Section 4.12 of the rule book covers sponsorships. 4.12.4 is of particular interest:
4.12.4. SPONSORSHIPS FROM BUSINESSES OR OTHER COMMERCIAL ENTERPRISES
4.12.4.1. Before an Athlete may accept a sponsorship from a business or other commercial enterprise, he or she must make a written request to USA DanceSport and provide a copy of the sponsorship agreement.
4.12.4.2. USA DanceSport will provide a written response as to its approval or disapproval within sixty (60) days of receiving the request.
4.12.4.3. An Athlete who accepts a sponsorship is required to report the amount received and the expenses claimed annually to the extent specified by the REPORTING REQUIREMENTS section of these rules.
Technically, what I wasn't doing wasn't even a sponsorship. It was rather a deferral of payments program -- the women I made the dresses for paid me for the dresses, just not up front.
 
#46
ACtenDance said:
There are plenty of expenses that can be covered through sponsorships... just think of how much a top couple could spend in travel alone.
Yeah, the thought is amazing, and ... disturbing at the same time ... (referring to how expensive ballroom is, I mean)
 
#47
Kitty said:
I heard that top dancers go through lots of pairs of shoes - like a new pair every week... especially since they are wearing them all day long since they are teaching. so it would be a lot of shoes and I would think it is a good deal in itself.
maybe they get money too, I don't know.
I noticed that Capezio was the grand sponsor of the East Coast Junior Superbowl and awarded the overall winners in each category a 1-yr contract which included 12 pairs of shoes for both dancers of the couple. Shoe costs considered, I thought that sounded pretty good.
 

Ithink

Active Member
#48
Thanks everyone for your input. I have a better idea now of what exactly being sponsored means. Someone approached me with some terms and I just wanted to compare them with other similar or dissimilar arrangements to get an idea just what it means.
 
#53
wyllo said:
I would guess (and hope) that this arrangement goes further than free dance supplies -- it only seems reasonable that if they are the face of Capezio dancesport and endorse the product then they are being compensated monetarily. I don't know if they are, but I believe this would be allowed under USABDA rules since they are among the elite dancers.

I also have heard that some of the top pros are getting corporate sponsorship from non-dance companies (you know, like NASCAR).
I can tell you for a fact Eugene and Maria were compensated monetarily. In fact, when Capezio contracted with them, their contract was the largest in American DanceSport history (this became sticky with USABDA, but it was worked out). Clive and Karen were also sponsored at the same time by Capezio.

A lot of Amateurs, even in America, are sponsored at some level or another. Whether it be shoes, costumes (discounts or free), or what have you. Usually shoes are pretty easy to get.
 

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
#55
Kitty said:
hmm
how?
I could use a shoe sponsor. I hate spending so much on shoes and I really need several new pairs.
I even need a sponsor for heel protectors ...I swear I go through a bag a week..good foot pressure:cool:
 

wyllo

New Member
#58
Try superglueing suede to the bottom of your heels. Sometimes the suede pieces pop off, but you just replace them and they protect the heel from wearing down. But I really love this method becuase then the entire shoe that contacts the floor has the same 'feel'.
 

Katarzyna

Well-Known Member
#59
wyllo said:
Try superglueing suede to the bottom of your heels. Sometimes the suede pieces pop off, but you just replace them and they protect the heel from wearing down. But I really love this method becuase then the entire shoe that contacts the floor has the same 'feel'.
I always tape a piece of suade to the heel.. That lasts me for a while
 

wyllo

New Member
#60
Katarzyna said:
I always tape a piece of suade to the heel.. That lasts me for a while
What kind of tape do you use? I can't imagine regular scotch two-sided tape holding anything for very long that gets as much abuse as a heel.
 

Dance Ads