Best shoes for salsa? (Ladies)

Twilight_Elena

Ladies--
What is the best shoe for a salsa addict? Latin heels? Trainers? Barefoot? ( :p It's economic, the least.)
Bring it on, salseras!

Twilight Elena

leaf

I like latin heels for the obvious reason that it looks good. Also it helps keeping my feet on the balls constantly. I tend to rest on my heels alot when dancing with flat shoes... not sure if that is consider a bad habit/wrong thing to do in salsa. Personally, I feel that it is a challange to balance on the balls.

The downside are very tired feet after a few hours of dancing and the heels are dangerous when landed on someone's foot accidentally. :oops:

Kindra

For a long night out dancing, I personally enjoy my practice shoes with 1.5" heel, as opposed to a my latin sandals. Though I admit, when I wear skirts I always give my sandals a go at first, because they really make the leg line so beautiful...but without fail, I always end up changing into my practice shoes!
I like the control I have (and need) when dancing with many different partners (especially those I'm unfamiliar with), my feet last longer through the night, and I don't run the higher risk of injuring myself or others on a crowded dance floor.

I'm a huge fan of the Supadance line. www.supadance.com

Girls, what's with tan and satin shoes? I'd say satin is most unpractical, because it doesn't last long. Women often wear black outfits and tan shoes to it. How about the black leather types? I hardly see any of those on shopping sites.

For years I danced in "character shoes" with small, rather robust heels (1.5 -2).

Kindra

wuthering said:
Girls, what's with tan and satin shoes? I'd say satin is most unpractical, because it doesn't last long. Women often wear black outfits and tan shoes to it. How about the black leather types? I hardly see any of those on shopping sites.
The satin shoes are a great option for dying to match either skin or costume. Most useful for those who compete or perform...

i wear my low heeled open toe shoes from magic dance shoes a lot, or the thicker 2.5 inch janette salsa shoes, or my black jazz shoes. the satin ones are too flimsy for me, and the spike heels are dangerous to me and for others. one thing i learned: make sure the heel part that touches the floor doesn't have any rough edges or you can cut yourself with it, as i did breaking them in!

I LOVE my jazz shoes, but my heels force me to stay on the balls of my feet a lot more. What shoes I wear also depends on where I'm dancing. Places with nicer floors I'd be more inclined to use my heels, whereas not so nice floors, I go with my jazz shoes. If I plan to be out a long time, I take both and change to flats when my feet start to ache. Also, like leaf mentioned, flats are also good when it's crowded, as I don't worry about stepping on other people's feet as much.

Leah

Guess I'm in the minority but I only dance in those satiny 2.5" heel ballroomy flare-heel shoes (Supadance - Kindra, I agree they ARE great! And they have held up very well). I started in them and now it feels unnatural when I switch to anything else! - Which is too bad since I'm 5'10" already. :shock: Oh well! :D

I'm in the minority, but I love my Latin sandals w/3" heels... I got them from a dance shoe store on Ebay, new, with shipping for only $50. I believe they're made by Very Fine. They are incredibly comfortable, and I like having a higher heel, it helps me with my balance. But I'm generally comfortable in high heels anyway (have to wear them for work.)

Georgette

Leah said:
Guess I'm in the minority but I only dance in those satiny 2.5" heel ballroomy flare-heel shoes (Supadance - Kindra, I agree they ARE great! And they have held up very well). I started in them and now it feels unnatural when I switch to anything else! - Which is too bad since I'm 5'10" already. :shock: Oh well! :D
You're not alone I'm also 5'10'' and wear 2,5'' shoes. Usually I wear black satin sandals which are very similar to supadance style 1618. What I like about those shoes is that I can adjust the width of the shoe when the feet become swollen after long hours of dancing. I also have another pair from diamant, which are open toe leather sandals but I'm not so comfortable in those. I tend to get blisters because the heelcap is to hard.

I prefer a latin style shoe with a 2.5" heel. I have a pair of 3" heel dance shoes, but I am such a chicken, I won't wear them out to a club. I thought I was big and bad when I first ordered them, but when I actually recieved them and tried them on I thought to myself, " How the H&*$ am I going to dance in these things!" I love them and I think they look awsome on, I just haven't learned how to dance in them. Oh well, Maybe someday... By the way, did you ladies know that they make dance shoes with a 3.5" heel? I just found out about a week ago. My hat goes off to you ladies who can dance in those. :applause: I can only DREAM about dancing in a shoe that high!

Mama Salsera Cynthia

Dance Ads