Breakfast ideas

Peaches

Incidentally, I could've sworn I'd read something about too-low levels of fat in the diet leading to increased feelings of hunger, as well.

Or am I just imagining that? :?

You probably read that somewhere. In high school, my dad didn't quite have a heart attack, but my mom came home from the hospital and THREW OUT all of our food that had fat or oil or wasn't vegetarian. The fat free, vegetarian diet started that day. My dad, who'd never eaten breakfast b/c he was never hungry, was all of a sudden hungry when he woke up in the morning. The rest of us found the same thing--we got hungrier more often.

I seem to recall hearing something to the effect that fats have much more calories per...whatever...unit of mass, I suppose. So, in cutting it out from your diet, you're not getting that high concentration of calories, so the same amount of food will be used up more quickly. Granted, I think that was from the pseudo-science diet fad book that my mom was going by.

To be fair, it did help bring down cholesterol drastically for about 5 years. And without changing other stuff, my parents both lost a lot of weight.

skwiggy

My mother, who is a professional diet counselor, has always taught me that fat is what makes you feel full, so you need some small amount of fat with every meal if you want to feel full afterwards. Of course not all fat is created equal, so that doesn't mean to try to add saturated fats to your diet.

This thread inspired me to buy egg beaters for the first time. I made them with my breakfast this morning. Not bad. With a little hot sauce, they almost tasted like eggs. ;)

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
yep, skwiggy...I know they have other crap in them but I find them tolerable with a bit of miracle whip or a bit of cheese....escpecially the flavored varieties..... if I really am starving at breakfast, they will be my choice every time...and I also find that a little bit of fat does go a long way with me...two slices of bacon or a few pieces of cheese can keep me otherwise on the straight and narrow...everything I eat can't be the consistency of dust

Peaches

Egg beaters are egg whites with coloring (it's yellow, like beaten-egg color) and some stabilizers, I believe.

If I'm going to eat eggs in a healthy way (not eat the yolks), I have issues with the color and texture of just the whites. So, with egg beaters I can kind of pretend that it's the whole egg (b/c of the color and texture).

eating egg beaters is the opposite of eating eggs in a healthy way. the natural food is the healthy way, always. not a processed product.

OTOH, i know what you mean about texture issues - eggs squick me a little too, and i eat a lot of them (hardboiled whole and cooked whites only.)

Peaches

eating egg beaters is the opposite of eating eggs in a healthy way. the natural food is the healthy way, always. not a processed product.
I'm with you on this. Really, I am, despite the crap I eat.

But if I want the low-fat, high-protein benefits of egg whites...it's gonna have to be egg beaters. I've got some food issues to begin with, and I really have egg issues (they really really squick me out)--it's either egg beaters or entire egg or nothing.

Peaches

I don't like the texture of just the egg whites. Or the color.

And, no, not really--I make DH make eggs for me, if I have them.

I don't like the texture of just the egg whites. Or the color.

And, no, not really--I make DH make eggs for me, if I have them.

I sometimes will make an omlette withtwo or three eggs and use only one yolk--a little color and taste, and then make sure to use veggies or a good salsa

Peaches

Oh, I'm definitely going to do the cottage cheese thing. I like it, but had forgotten about it.

Re: the multiple eggs/single yolk thing...I know DH does that when he makes eggs, for exactly those reasons.

Sagitta

Egg omlet with cheese, Cut up. Easy to take in small container to work and cheese slows down the digestive process so it doesn't just zoom through.

Carrots are easy

Wheat crackers...I love the salty taste

peanuts/nuts/cashewnuts

All things that I do ;-)

I heard somewhere that one should only eat three eggs in one week. Anymore is bad or something. So if you are doin those three egg omletes, do it once a week...

nah. eggs are fine unless you have cholesterol problems. i eat two a day.

today for breakfast i had some cold roast chicken and a bowl of corn chowder i made myself a few days ago. MAN did that hold me for a good couple hours! i obviously need to eat more at breakfast.

Dance Ads