Carrie Ann Inaba as Nationals judge?

Larinda McRaven

Site Moderator
Staff member
My previous quote of your post is direct.

But in all fairness, it was not just you I was cautioning... you just happened to have an easy post to use as an example of how a personal opinion get stated as fact.

Beto

Not sure if this was revealed in the thread already but on CAI's blog she explained why she was at Nationals and what, exactly, she was judging.

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009/04/carrie-ann-inab.html

Carrie Ann Inaba said:
Okay, a quick wrap up -- I was at the USA Dance Nationals this weekend giving out the Carrie Ann Inaba "Star Quality" Award -- for those who have that special something extra when they dance. Sometimes, it was a grace that seemed to be unmatched by any other -- or that they had incredible charisma and charm, and sometimes, they just took my breath away. Judging by the way the audience reacted, we were often on the same page with our choices. The category was created to give encouragement to those who many not take home the medals based on the normal standards of judging, but who had something that deserved some sort of accolade. And it was my honor to give out that award. My category was outside the normal standards of judging and was quite difficult to choose at times since I could only choose one winner in each of the categories I judged. I saw some familiar faces -- some of the kids who competed in the junior dance competitions we had in seasons past and Valentin Chmerkovskiy -- Maksim's brother who you might remember from the "Billie Jean" performance a few seasons ago where they danced in red, and when the Chmerkovskiy brothers danced together in that incredible "dance-off" performance. He won the adult Latin competition with a new partner and will be competing for the U.S. in the international competition. The competition was wonderful and exciting and for all of you who haven't seen a competition in person, you should try to get to one.

Larinda McRaven

Site Moderator
Staff member
I will say that CAI, I would assume, felt like she was walking into the lions den this past weekend.

However, her attitude was one of pure graciousness, in spite of the mixed feelings surrounding her presence. She smiled, signed autographs, took pictures, watched the competitions, was always friendly and approachable.

Perhaps we all could learn a lesson in how to compose ourselves in the face of adversity.

I will say that CAI, I would assume, felt like she was walking into the lions den this past weekend.

However, her attitude was one of pure graciousness, in spite of the mixed feelings surrounding her presence. She smiled, signed autographs, took pictures, watched the competitions, was always friendly and approachable.

Perhaps we all could learn a lesson in how to compose ourselves in the face of adversity.
I completely agree! She was very sweet and great to work with and seemed to enjoy herself. I think the award she gave out was an interesting new twist to be awarded at a comp and a great way to use CAI's experience and background.

Laura

I think the award she gave out was an interesting new twist to be awarded at a comp and a great way to use CAI's experience and background.
I agree. Some very delicious lemonade was made out of what at first looked like a rather sour lemon. I hope we can do something like this again in the future.

Dance Ads