Chocolate Thread

samina

right there with ya. Need to drag my 11-year-old out camping again so I have the excuse to make some of these. Of course, there is the fall-back position of wrapping crackers, chocolate, and marshmallows in waxed paper and zapping in the microwave for a few seconds. Pretty unsatisfactory in the true S'More sense but works in a pinch.
we haven't had a microwave for years, but i remember getting a kick outa nuking marshmallows when we did... how they expand to gigantic proportions. very fun.:rolleyes:

Peaches

OMG!!! okay, there are two schools of thought on this, with both sides nearly coming to blows over the disagreement every time we go camping. The first sect firmly believes that you must burn the exterior of the marshmallow to a black crisp in order to get the inside gooey enough to go with the chocolate and graham cracker. The second group believes you must slowly, slowly brown the marshmallow, turning the stick so it is evenly toasted on all sides, before you can combine with the chocolate and crackers. Either way, no barbeque is complete without a S'More!
Not pertaining to s'mores, but when it comes to marshmallows and fire I'm of the "catch the damn thing on fire, let it burn for a bit, then blow it out" crowd. The best thing is to then pull off the outer layer and eat that, then stick it back in the fire and repeat the process.

Mmm...burnt marshmallow.

samina

Ok, I can appreciate that as well. Yum.

BUT...a perfectly toasted nicely browned marshmallow that is crusty on the outside and completely melty on the inside, *without falling off the stick*...darlin', now that has some powerful charm. If you can get it...

Peaches

Yeah, them's tasty too. But...oy...the waiting and the patience involved. Catching it on fire is just so much easier.

Besides, they're kind of like edible sparklers. Fun to run around with one on the end of the stick at night.

Peaches

LOL, true. But I also like waiting for...things that are worth waiting for. ;)
See, my take on things is that anything that's worth waiting for is worth having right flippin' now.

I can think of one, and only one, exception I've ever made to that.

etp777

On the news right now "We may be able to ferment unused chocolate and make hydrogen."

Not sure how things work at her house, but I've never had this thing called unused chocolate. :)

samina

You don't have a microwave? That wouldn't work at my house.
Leftovers...not real big in our house...are heated on the stove or in the oven & taste beter that way. And there's nothing else we'd use it for, xept Amy's organics pot pies or enchiladas now & then for the kids. And, again...the oven.:)

What do you use yours for?

Purr

What do you use yours for?
Mainly the microwave is used for heating up leftovers. Whatever is for dinner usually lasts at least two meals.

As well, it's quick for to heat up of water for tea or cocoa. There's no sense in heating up a whole pot of water on the stove when it's just me wanting one cup.

samina

i find that water tastes very different when it's boiled as compared to microwaved. my father is a die-hard fan of nuking his tea water as well and he tends to roll his eyes when it go "the long route" with a pot on the stove. :)

anyway, i don't like the idea of microwaves interfering with my food, not even water, which has a beautiful crystalline structure. that's just me, tho.

Purr

I like hot water when it is heated up on the stove; tea and cocoa are more flavorful. But, since I won't be drinking much cocoa anymore, and I generally don't drink tea during the warmer months, it's kind of irrelevant anyway.

samina

When it's solid, perhaps.
yes, but research has shown that it is an incredibly malleable substance which re-organizes itself at the molecular level depending upon what it is exposed to... and these show up then in the crystalline design when frozen. some pretty interesting research, actually.

it might be a phenomenon that is occurring at an invisible level to my eyes, but as i am mostly made of it, i care about the quality of water i put into my body.

NURDRMS

Had the most excellent chocolate carmelized pudding something at Il Fornaio's last night. May have to run extra miles this week so I can go have another.

Had the best chocolate ever the other day. It was an organic one, can't remember the brand - it was sugar free, 70% cocoa dark chocolate, with mint chips. Really, really good.

Dance Ads