Chocolate Thread

Katarzyna

cocodrilo said:
I think it might be an acquired taste. I didn't care for it much when I first tried it. Same with miso, takuan(yellow Japanese pickles) or fermented soybeans...
I fell in love with green tea ice cream when I had my first bite :) (lick)

DancePoet

Katarzyna said:
So what's the best chocolate in the world... My vote: Neuhaus !!!!
Wow! Tough querstion.

Hmmm ... all I know is that it is a good idea to find out what a woman's favorite chocolate is and to get some for her. ;)

DancePoet

lynn said:
i've never heard of Neuhaus....is that something only available in the states?? or maybe i should raid every single store in the area that sell chocolates?!!

I personally prefer dark chocolates, milk chocolate is way too sweet for me....besides, dark choco has anti-oxident property - good for the heart!! O.K., now i'm just looking for justifications for my cravings :oops: ....
I definitely prefer dark chocolate over milk chocolate! :D :D :D

DancePoet

pygmalion said:
According to fabulous foods.com, here are the ingredients for white cholcolate:

White chocolate is made from cocoa butter, milk solids, sugar and vanilla. When buying white chocolate, look for a brand that contains cocoa butter. There are cheaper versions (which by law cannot be called chocolate) that don't contain any cocoa butter, but their flavor is inferior to those that do.
And here's how dark chocolate and milk chocolate are made:

Similar to coffee, cacao beans are dried and roasted before being hulled. "Chocolate liquor", made from the roasted, ground cocoa bean nibs (the meat of the cacao bean) is what makes chocolate chocolate. Thus, unsweetened chocolate is pure chocolate liquor and about 50% cocoa butter. Bittersweet chocolate blends at least 35% liquor with as much as 50% with cocoa butter, sugar and vanilla. Semisweet chocolate has the same ingredients as bittersweet with the addition of more sugar. Milk chocolate, which contains about 10% chocolate liquor, takes the process a step further by adding about 12% milk solids.
Not really the same thing, IMO, but hey, if you love chocolate, who cares? Have fun. 8)
Great info! Thanks a bunch! :D :D :D

DancePoet

Swingolder said:
As our summer camp ends here, there are a lot of Little Debbie Snack cakes left for the staff and returning faculty. Actually, a couple of years ago we tried giving the kids healthy snacks -- raisens, nuts, bananas, fruit roll-ups, etc, but the kids didn't want anything to do with them. Just a lot of of good food thrown away.
A lot of schools are now trying to go the healthy food route and getting rid of junk food vending machines. Good luck to them!
Imagine that, schools bringing up kids better then they did when I was young. ;) :lol:

My parents kept us away from lot's of candy to keep the dental hygiene issues to a minimum. I recall hearing kids talk about going to the dentist and reporting back on how many cavaties they had. Usually the kids with the most also ate the most candy. :roll:

DancePoet

pygmalion said:
A lot of the schools here are shutting down the vending machines except for after school snacks. During school hours, it's strictly the healthy stuff. As if kids don't know how to starve until 3PM, then fill up on sweet goodies? Sheesh! Give the kids credit for a little ingenuity. :lol: :lol:
If the kids are hungry, they'll find something else to eat during the day. ;) 8)

DancePoet

lynn said:
Swingolder said:
As our summer camp ends here, there are a lot of Little Debbie Snack cakes left for the staff and returning faculty. Actually, a couple of years ago we tried giving the kids healthy snacks -- raisens, nuts, bananas, fruit roll-ups, etc, but the kids didn't want anything to do with them. Just a lot of of good food thrown away.
A lot of schools are now trying to go the healthy food route and getting rid of junk food vending machines. Good luck to them!
I wonder what kind of "healthy food" are they putting in the vending machine?? The way I see it, aside from fresh fruits and veggies (something i don't think you can stuff in a vending machine), there are very limiting number of healthy alternatives. I also think one of the reasons why kids go for chips & chocolates is because sugar/fat/salt is high addicting (no scientific proof to back up this statement but I'm pretty sure I read something in this context).
Well, less sugar, less salt, les fat, gee, now that sounds healthy. ;) :lol:

DancePoet

pygmalion said:
raisins, veggie chips, banana chips, crackers, cheese, trail mix, flavored rice cakes, low-fat popcorn, nuts, low-salt pretzels ...

100% juices and 100% juice cocktails

And there are lots of fresh fruits (and surprisingly vegetables) that kids will eat, if they aren't being bombarded with potato chips. :lol: :lol: Carrots and celery are biggies. -

There are lots of healthy alternatives, I think. A lot of people are just trained to eat junk, so their first reaction to real food is negative. But it's doable.
Now you are talking! :D

DancePoet

Swingolder said:
pygmalion said:
raisins, veggie chips, banana chips, crackers, cheese, trail mix, flavored rice cakes, low-fat popcorn, nuts, low-salt pretzels ...
All that sounds good. Would sound better it you would just dip it in a little chocolate!

Oh no, then we are right back where we started :doh:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

DancePoet

pygmalion said:
MacMoto said:
Katarzyna said:
Sagitta said:
lynn said:
chocolate dipped apple/strawberry?? We'll coat it with dark chocolate so there's even more healthy benefit!
I love chopcolate dipped strawberries. :)
Yummy :) Home madechocolate dipped strawberries
Serve with icecream :D
Or champagne and candlelight? :raisebro:
Sounds like we have the makings for a wonderful date. ;) 8)

Dance Ads