Classic Rock Dance Songs

Hello everyone, I am currently playing bass in a classic rock-n-roll band and we are trying to add classic rock songs that you dance to,we really like to rock out with guitar solos,etc.,but the crowd really enjoys dancing,so..I would really appreciate if anyone could suggest some classic rock songs we can add to our set lists .THANKS!!!

acrazyhorse said:
Hello everyone, I am currently playing bass in a classic rock-n-roll band and we are trying to add classic rock songs that you dance to,we really like to rock out with guitar solos,etc.,but the crowd really enjoys dancing,so..I would really appreciate if anyone could suggest some classic rock songs we can add to our set lists .THANKS!!!
What do you mean by classic rock-n-roll? Do you mean like Little Richard? Elvis? The Beatles? Hendrix? Deep Purple? Thin Lizzy? And what kind of dancing?

If I had to name a few classic rock songs that always get me on my feet I'd go for:

Nadine Chuck Berry (or anything else. Can't go wrong with Chuck really.)
Brown Sugar The Rolling Stones
Paperback Writer The Beatles
Nutbush City Limits Tina Turner
Town Called Malice The Jam

But that's just me :)

Thanks for the reply,ill give those a try,how about mabellene by chuck berry?,its kind of a quick "2 feel",,,,,we play mostly classic rock from 60,70,80"s ,but are open to whatever is fun for the crowd .Some of the songs that we play now that go over well are: brickhouse,play that funky music,be my girl,twist and shout,i saw here standing there,good lovin,american girl,mustang sally ,slowride,what i like about you,sweet jane,cant explain and some kind of wonderful.

Medira

ooooh, I like topics like this...welcome to DF!

Brandy - Looking Glass
September - Earth, Wind and Fire
Great Balls of Fire - Jerry Lee Lewis
Ain't No Mountain High Enough - Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell (actually, there are a lot of goof Marvin Gaye songs you could use)
Cinnamon Girl - Neil Young (I love to dance to this song, though I don't know what sort of partner dance you'd do to it)
Cecelia - Paul Simon
Crocodile Rock - Elton John
Peppermint Twist - (can't think of the artist at the moment...I'll update when I remember)

I'll keep thinking on this one...

Medira

Spitfire said:
House of the Rising Sun - Animals
Heh...it seems so...dark and depressing, but it works! I LOVE the suggestion of Leslie Gore though...

Hmm...it may be a little fast, but what about Dusty Springfield's You Don't Have to Say You Love Me?

acrazyhorse said:
welcome crazy horse,i grew up playing classic rock in bands :) , if your talking dancing as in whats on this board-west coast swing /swing/etc.. mustang sally is great for west coast especialy if you play the quitar with grit and fire 8) born on the bayou from creedance is another great west coast swing song,twisting the night away/rod stewart or whoever else covered it is good from straight swing dancing,cherry bomb by john cougar is good to west coast swing to stevie ray vaughen pride and joy well thats good for now,have fun.

Thanks to everyone for the replies,keep them coming,im taking notes.Hey DJ mustang sally goes over great,we have an open mike for anyone who wants to come up and sing along.I also play guitar and drums and keys,but im really get hooked on the groove ,so and old fender precision bass with flat wound strings and an old svt tube amp with eight( ten inch speakers) is so powerful.you dont have to set up subwoofers.we play some SRV and CCR what do you think about jump,jive and wail or rock this town?

Sam Cooke - Everybody Loves to Cha Cha Cha <--- This one should be obvious, right?

Under the Boardwalk (Rumba)

Stand By Me (Rumba)

It's So Easy to Fall in Love (Swing)

Margaritaville (Rumba)

Blue Bayou (Rumba)

Don't Be Cruel (Swing)

Spitfire

Something maybe not so well remembered, but good...

Something Good/Herman's Hermitts - Swing
Don't Let The Sun Catch You Crying/Gerry and the Pacemakers - Rumba
Angel of the Morning/Merrilee Rush - NC2S
Little Girl/Syndicate of Sound - Swing

acrazyhorse said:
Thanks to everyone for the replies,keep them coming,im taking notes.Hey DJ mustang sally goes over great,we have an open mike for anyone who wants to come up and sing along.I also play guitar and drums and keys,but im really get hooked on the groove ,so and old fender precision bass with flat wound strings and an old svt tube amp with eight( ten inch speakers) is so powerful.you dont have to set up subwoofers.we play some SRV and CCR what do you think about jump,jive and wail or rock this town?
sooooooooo cool, tube amps hve the best sound ever :!: i host a couple of open mikes a few years ago 8) shoot we musicans were doing a type of star seach before it was ever on tv :idea: ,rock on bro.i like under the boardwalk and margaritaville for cha cha, if you twist them you can get people to do different styles of dance to them and mustang sally los lobos did a remake that was really cool the way they twisted it by making u either cha cha or west coast to it.i only play on tube amps bro.jump jive and wail and rock this town luv those songs, go for it, keep them coming back for more and blow the dj"s out of the water 8)

Spitfire said:
For the Viennese Waltz:

House of the Rising Sun - Animals
You Don't Own Me - Leslie Gore
How well does that work with the phrasing of the songs? I thought they were both in 6/8 time, not 3/4.

Heh. It would be cool to see regardless.

DancingMommy said:
Medira said:
ooooh, I like topics like this...welcome to DF!

Peppermint Twist - (can't think of the artist at the moment...I'll update when I remember)
That would be Joey Dee & the Starlighters :D
Thank you! Hahaha, I feel better now.

Mustang Sally (Wilson Pickett did the original, I believe) is great to groove solo to as well...so, so, so much fun.

Spitfire, I know all of the songs you mentioned. Great choices!

You can also check out:

Shambala - Three Dog Night
More Today then Yesterday - Spiral Staircase
These Eyes - The Guess Who
Get Over It - The Eagles
All For You - Sister Hazel (mid-90's, so it may be a bit later for your tastes, but still good...)
Oh, Pretty Woman - Roy Orbison
Ticket to Ride - The Beatles
Old Time Rock n' Roll - Bob Seger
Happy Together - The Turtles
Brown-Eyed Girl - Van Morrison
Johnny B. Goode - Chuck Berry
That'll Be the Day - Buddy Holly
Wouldn't it be Nice - Beach Boys
Sugar, Sugar - The Archies
California Dreamin - The Mamas and the Papas
Listen to the Music - The Doobie Brothers
Rock Around the Clock - Bill Haley and the Comets
Sea Cruise - Frankie Ford
Crystal Blue Persuasion - Tommy James and the Shondells
Summer in the City - Lovin Spoonful
I Can't Help Myself - The Four Tops
Proud Mary - Creedence Clearwater Revival
Louie Louie - The Kingsmen
Born to be Wild - Steppenwolf
Joy to the World - Three Dog Night
Nowhere to Run - Martha and the Vandellas
Venus - Bananarama
Glad all Over - Dave Clark 5
Build me up Buttercup - The Foundations
Reach Out, I'll be There - The Four Tops
Sugar Shack - Jimmy Gilmer and the Fireballs
Saturday in the Park - Chicago
Do You Love Me - The Contours
In the Still of the Night - The Five Satins
Peggy Sue - Buddy Holly
Magic Carpet Ride - Steppenwolf
Stuck in the Middle (With You) - Stealer's Wheel
Groovin' - The Rascals
Penny Lane - The Beatles
Can't You Hear my Heartbeat - Herman's Hermits
You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet - Bachman Turner Overdrive
Drift Away - Dobie Grey
Long Cool WOman (in a Black Dress) - The Hollies
Spinning Wheel - Blood, Sweat and Tears
Evil Ways - Santana
Black Magic Woman/Gypsy Queen - Santana
Do You Believe in Magic - Lovin' Spoonful
All I Have to do is Dream - Everly Brothers
Dizzy - Tommy Roe
I'm into Something Good - Herman's Hermits
Who Put the Bomp - Barry Mann
Windy - The Association
Fortune Teller - Bobby Curtola
There Goes my Baby - The Drifters
Sea of Love - Phil Phillips
Stay - Maurice Williams
Tears on my Pillow - Little Anthony and the Imperials
Honky Tonk Woman - The Rolling Stones
5 O'Clock World - The Vogues
Judy in Disguise (With Glasses) - John Fred
I Got You (I Feel Good) - James Brown
Be-Bop-A-Lula - Gene Vincent
Incense and Peppermints - Strawberry Alarm Clock
Do You Want to Dance - Bobby Freeman

...and I think that'll do for the music overload post of the day...

- M
Procrastinating at work, can you tell? ;)

WOW Medira!!, your awesome,now let me turn you on to one i just learned last night "Shake a tail feather "by Ray Charles with The Blues Brothers....check it out and teell me what you think

acrazyhorse said:
WOW Medira!!, your awesome,now let me turn you on to one i just learned last night "Shake a tail feather "by Ray Charles with The Blues Brothers....check it out and teell me what you think
Hehehe, that's a fabulously fun song to dance to. I have it on my hard drive at home. :D

chachachacat said:
Wow, Medira, you rock!
And- to know all of those tunes-
you are not the ponytailed teenager of your avatar! :shock: 8)
:D :nope:
Actually, I'm 23. I just grew up listening to a wide variety of music and I have a good memory for songs and lyrics. I have the classics from the 30's and 40's from my mom's parents (that's also where I get my love of the golden era musicals from), hawaiian music from my dad's parents, classic rock, motown and some jazz from my dad, general ac from my mom and pretty much everything else from self-discovery. :D It's all in the upbringing, I swear. ;)

Dance Ads