Competition Hair

I wonder what sort of combs they use in those videos... i use a comb to do my hair but it seems to always leaves separation between the different strands. Do boar's hair combs exist? Do you think it's something like that?

FancyFeet

I have a teasing comb on my wish-list for Christmas, as I'm just not getting the results I want from a regualr one. They're available at beauty supply stores, and I expect that's what they're using in the video to bulk up the ponytails.

To smooth, I use a fine tooth comb followed by a boar hair/synthethic blend brush.

s2k

I wonder what sort of combs they use in those videos... i use a comb to do my hair but it seems to always leaves separation between the different strands. Do boar's hair combs exist? Do you think it's something like that?
I got my boar's bristle brush at a Sally beauty, but I've seen them at regular drugstores as well.

stash

I got my boar's bristle brush at a Sally beauty, but I've seen them at regular drugstores as well.
Sally is the best :) Going there tonight to pick up more blond tint and maybe a crazy color for my hair. Over all they have a huge selection of hair and beauty products that are salon oriented, but at a fairly inexpensive price. Also if you get their membership card, you get amazing discounts as well.

mindputtee

If you're considering going red, I'd recommend trying the semi perm pots of manic panic. They cost as much as a perm color, but you get many uses out of them. Since red fades so quickly, I realized I was having to refresh it every 2-3 weeks to keep it looking nice. This ends up being cheaper, brighter (it seems to oxidize less in the sun, so it just fades instead of turning brassy) and I think it's nicer on your hair. They sell a "diluter" too so you can get more of a red tint than straight up fire engine.

ETA: You also get less obvious roots with a bit of a fade down.

Miss Silly

What do you think he was painting no the blond girls hair?
And that videographer needs to hold still! I was getting nauseated.
I'm wondering the same thing! It must be the magical SECRET product i'm looking for... i just know it.

(and i agree--the videography was a little Blair Witch)

nikkitta

according to the "translation":
bride's hairstyle require special performance of Sochi expiate and for this purpose a special brush with certain portions of that pay all townships and removing static voltage a special brush petersburg people a very important attribute of such a book and studs available forged prizes

Miss Silly

according to the "translation":
bride's hairstyle require special performance of Sochi expiate and for this purpose a special brush with certain portions of that pay all townships and removing static voltage a special brush petersburg people a very important attribute of such a book and studs available forged prizes
LMAO!!!! .... so... can i order online? ;-P

nikkitta

Check out the translation starting @2:15--
"God created Adam
bastard he miss Sunday
decided to create a cushion
brain that you do not know
you can choose
make calls
would be better for me to do a suitcase
every job
creation of particles taxes
nor is the
it will be wiser
made her silver
what was the heart is always a challenge and a hand"

*blink*blink*... :eek:

Lioness

If you're considering going red, I'd recommend trying the semi perm pots of manic panic. They cost as much as a perm color, but you get many uses out of them. Since red fades so quickly, I realized I was having to refresh it every 2-3 weeks to keep it looking nice. This ends up being cheaper, brighter (it seems to oxidize less in the sun, so it just fades instead of turning brassy) and I think it's nicer on your hair. They sell a "diluter" too so you can get more of a red tint than straight up fire engine.

ETA: You also get less obvious roots with a bit of a fade down.
Adding to this...recommending the Alfaparf "Jean's Colour" in Chili Red...super bright, and cheaper than Manic Panic...also less likely to stain the shower in the wash-off.

If you want to keep red hair looking fresh, add a little bit to your conditioner when you wash your hair. Mix it all up and leave it for about 5 minutes.

I started off using permanent colours to dye my hair, but this is cheaper, brighter, and better for my hair. I don't have to bleach it to get a bright colour, and you can leave vegetable-based dyes in for hours! You can see the difference in my dance photos in terms of standing out on the floor.

I've used one, but my hair is a bit longer so I pin my hair over/around the scrunchie, which secures it in place. It sounds like you have a stumpy ponytail and then use the hair scrunchie as an entire fake bun though? Um...use a ton of bobby pins, more than you think you need. For this, I think the flat kind of bobby pin that you have to pry open will be a bit more secure than the ones that start out open. A hairnet will help and add some extra support, as well as keep it neat.

Likewise, tons of gel and spray on everything. I recommend slicking it all back, slighty damp, with a bunch of gel, combing with a fine-tooth comb or a boar's hair brush to smooth everything out. Blast with some hot air from a hairdryer on low, smooth some more, add some more gel, repeat. Spray with a freezing hair spray, hairdryer, then repeat the spray. Your hair will feel like plastic, but it won't move!
Well first day of competing over - no places today but I followed your tips and my hair stayed put so that's a bonus!

middy

Awesome!

I saw three open Latin dancer girls' hair start to come loose this past comp...yikes. Not that mine was perfect, but it did not come loose for the most part - just a couple stray hairs that needed some extra gel.

bia

To smooth, I use a fine tooth comb followed by a boar hair/synthethic blend brush.
Thanks for this! I had been only using a comb and wasn't entirely satisfied with the smoothness. But I went to Sally the other day and got a boar bristle brush -- tried it out yesterday. So much better! What would I do without DF?

I would suggest to anyone looking for a good comb, avoid the plastic ones. You'll get smoother results and less static with a wood or bone comb. And I swear by my boar bristle and wood teasing brush-- lots of volume, minimal damage.

Dance Ads