Dancing With the Stars All-Star Edition Coming Next Season to ABC!

Mr 4 styles

the pros are specifically told to do their Viennese Waltzes, Waltzes and Foxtrots as "American" Style,
they arent ive asked kym and karina in person they have slowly developed these liberties as Lens tolerance has allowed lOL

season 1 ashley del grosso tells len 'its an open american foxtrot" with her star LMMAOO kaboooommmmmmm the hammer fell

SDsalsaguy

Administrator
Staff member
Well, to be entirely fair to Len, when DWTS first started he'd had minimal exposure to or experience with American Smooth. As such, any dancing out of frame was more a show number than a proper ballroom dance. As DWTS has continued from season to season he can only have become that much more familiar -- and hence more comfortable and accepting -- with the style.

http://beta.abc.go.com/shows/dancing-with-the-stars/dances

Finally found a moment to dig these up. You'll have to take my word for it that these descriptions have been up for quite some time.

On Dancing with the Stars the couples will be dancing an "American Smooth"-style Foxtrot. The American Smooth style means couples can break the traditional ballroom "hold" throughout the performance allowing more open movements, including under arm turns. Think Fred and Ginger.
On Dancing with the Stars the couples will be dancing an "American Smooth"-style Waltz. The American Smooth style means couples can break the traditional ballroom "hold" throughout the performance allowing more open movements, including under-arm turns. Think Fred and Ginger.
They don't specifically mention it in Viennese Waltz, but I guess when do you see even international couples stay in hold for a show VW anyway?

ajiboyet

I think the pros are specifically told to do their Viennese Waltzes, Waltzes and Foxtrots as "American" Style, while Tango and Quickstep are "International." Obviously liberties get taken regardless of which style they're supposed to be doing...
Not to mention there's no such thing as Americal Style Quickstep.

danceronice

I only saw the bottom two (though not necessarily the bottom two) and....really?

Though since I haven't voted for anyone at all this season, I really don't have any grounds for complaint.

nikkitta

I was really hoping for a lovely VWaltz during Jason Mraz's song; maybe with Anna and Jonathan. Instead we got that spastic writhing flexed-foot body-flinging sequence. Bummer.

wooh

Immediately followed by:
and:
Goodness people, it's not like mindputtee posted a video of something truly disturbing, like American Paso or American Samba! Give the smooth quicksteppers a break!!

About what y'all were really responding to: Y'all really still watch this stuff? Health tip: You can drop a good 10 points off your blood pressure if you avoid reality tv dancing shows. You can not only add years to your life, but to your tv's life as well, because it won't be in constant danger of something being thrown at it. :)

singndance

Speaking of which, the Macy's stars of dance routine didn't do much for me... surely a couple of world-renowned choreographers could do better than that. I was trying to imagine it being performed by SYTYCD contestants (b/c it really smacked of that show) and it still wasn't wow-ing me.

I agree with you totally...that was very disappointing for me too.

nikkitta

Goodness people, it's not like mindputtee posted a video of something truly disturbing, like American Paso or American Samba! Give the smooth quicksteppers a break!!
Yes, the :mad: was for the elimination last night, not for American Quickstep. I don't have a problem with it.

But yes, I have seen American Paso, and it ain't pretty.

mindputtee

agree we need five dances in smooth for parity in american 9 soon to be ten dance:)
Not to derail this thread completely, but peabody is out there... I'm still not sure how I feel about that though.

Yes, the :mad: was for the elimination last night, not for American Quickstep. I don't have a problem with it.

But yes, I have seen American Paso, and it ain't pretty.
Haha I hadn't seen the elimination yet and at first thought that's what it was as well. I agree though, I want Kirstie to go, I'm tired of her whining.

Dance Ads