Dressing Up for Lindy Hop ???

If I were to travel to the UK again (Did so back in 1987) I would definitely include that on the itinerary. The USAF base here was home to B-24's back in WW2. One actually crashed in the neighborhood where my parents grew up.

you may be suprised how many of us brits on the reenactor scene just love the usaaf. we collect jeeps, uniforms. lorries, flying jackets, nose art, you name it........

I'm not into Lindy, but I believe a number of people here dress vintage at the dances.

I don't think there's been any lately, but hangar dances have been held here at the air museum in the past and for all styles of dancing, not just Lindy. I felt this was really cool since I have an interest in vintage aircraft and dancing int he space between a B-29 and a C-46.
I've heard about hangar dances in our area--but I never made it out to one. Sounds great! Everything I hear about them, including the vintage planes! :banana:

do you have forties dances over there?????? vitrually every weekend we either attend one as dancers or actually get paid to put them on our selves.
it involves hiring an old village hall, decking it out with bunting/flags, usually a mix of union jack/raf/navy/stars and stripes, then playing a good mix of old swing/old english dance band music and jive stuff. everyone dresses in forties attire, and i do mean everyone, so youll have a hall full of yanks, british tommies, wren,waafs, land army girls, etc etc etc. then we will usually have a tea room serving teas and home made cakes etc etc...... the night will usually be interrupted by a simulated air raid, a few speeches from churchill etc etc..
then at the end youll hear the announcemount of the end of hostilities,
victory in europe and the two national anthems, us/usa!!!! we normally have a few vets attens as well which is always nice....... this scene is huge, and happens all over england every weekend........

do you have forties dances over there?????? vitrually every weekend we either attend one as dancers or actually get paid to put them on our selves.
it involves hiring an old village hall, decking it out with bunting/flags, usually a mix of union jack/raf/navy/stars and stripes, then playing a good mix of old swing/old english dance band music and jive stuff. everyone dresses in forties attire, and i do mean everyone, so youll have a hall full of yanks, british tommies, wren,waafs, land army girls, etc etc etc. then we will usually have a tea room serving teas and home made cakes etc etc...... the night will usually be interrupted by a simulated air raid, a few speeches from churchill etc etc..
then at the end youll hear the announcemount of the end of hostilities,
victory in europe and the two national anthems, us/usa!!!! we normally have a few vets attens as well which is always nice....... this scene is huge, and happens all over england every weekend........
Every now and then, I hear of such a 40's-themed event in our area. I've not attended one yet, but know of a few that have. They sound fun! :cool:

we have an hangar dance every year at east kirkby, which is a museum to bomber command and we dance under the frint end of a lancaster bomber called just jane. this attracts around 300 dancers per year, all dressed forties.
they come from as far away as holland!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That sounds amazing! :cheers:

Dressing the style is extremely fun!! If you never have, I recommend it. I'm hoping to find some dances to go to once my dancing is good enough I can actually follow someone LOL. And I am looking forward to making some fun clothes to wear for it :)

Dressing the style is extremely fun!! If you never have, I recommend it. I'm hoping to find some dances to go to once my dancing is good enough I can actually follow someone LOL. And I am looking forward to making some fun clothes to wear for it :)

That's fabulous, abifae! And welcome to Dance Forums! :cheers:

welcome on board......................

Good Flying Fortress Cartoon from Wikipedia...

Wikipedia gives this background info for the 1944 caricature shown below:

The B-17's capacity to repel enemy attacks and still inflict heavy damage to the German war machine and production centers is imaginatively rendered by C.R. Greening in this colorful caricature. Completed by Lt. Col. C. Ross Greening while prisoner at Stalag Luft I, Barth Germany in 1944-1945, this work is part of a collection of artwork that was published after the war in his book titled "Not As Briefed."

From http:// en.wikipedia. org /wiki/File:Flying_Fortress_Cartoon.jpg

It can be fun for many different styles of dance. It is one reason why really getting into a showcase routine can be so enjoyable... :p

Dance Ads