Eating out alone

Pacion

Do you ever eat out alone, at a restaurant (just to make the distinction from MacDonald's or another fast food outlet)?

Do you remember your first time? What was the motivation?

What tips would you share to advise someone who doesn't like eating out alone or... is too nervous to do it in the first instance?

Peaches

Won't do it. Given a choice between not eating and eating out alone, I'll not eat. Or find a vending machine.

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
I have just heard that it is rude to read while eating, but maybe that is just when you ARE with someone else?....but the sense i get is that it closes one off to any other possible interactions...which sends a message that some would percieve as rude...lol, clearly that is not my personal view as I continue to do it...but i can see how it might be viewed that way

NielsenE

Hmm I used to eat out alone 3-4 times a week. Down to 1-2 times now. I bring a book. I'll also tend to tip high when eating alone since 1 is about the same about of work for the waitstaff as 2 with only half the bill to get tipped on.

Purr

Won't do it. Given a choice between not eating and eating out alone, I'll not eat. Or find a vending machine.
I completely disagree. I would much rather have a good meal at a nice restaurant, than eating junk food out of a vending machine or eating nothing at home. I don't give a damn what other people might think if they see me eating by myself.

LucyDiamond

I have no problem eating out alone. However, now days, it seems that most restaurants also offer take out so, I'll take out (and eat at home) what I used to eat in the restaurant alone.

Dancebug

I used to eat alone a lot. I liked eating alone. Also I like watching people. So that was what I did while I was eating alone. Nowadays DH tags along whereever I go. So no more eating alone.

BM

Hm, am one lousy conversationalist. If I ever have a few spare bucks again, I may actually prefer eating alone and people-reading (Edit: occasional hot dates could be fun too, though!). :p

Dance Ads