Favorite Swing/Jive songs?

Alright, so we've been slowly making our way through all the different dances...we have a thread for rumba, cha-cha, waltz, etc. Now it's time to compile a list of good east/west coast swing and jive songs to practice to! Any tips on discerning between what would be better as swing and what would be better as jive? Here are a few of mine faves for practice...

EC Swing:
Jerry Lee Lewis "Sea Cruise"
Buddy Holly "That'll Be the Day"

Jive:
Adam Ant "Goody Two Shoes"
Brian Setzer Orchestra "Jump, Jive, and Wail"
Marth and the Vandellas "Heat Wave"

Adwiz

I don't do very much Swing, but my favorite Jive tunes include:

Jack is Back by the Clan
What I Like About You by the Romantics
Letkiss by Darling
Mambo by T-Control
Baby Likes to Rock It by The Tractors

ballroomboilergirl said:
Letkiss is, quite possibly, the greatest Jive song EVER :D There's just something magical about that song...
Haha, I just downloaded it... I know what I'm gonna request at dances from now on.

Phil Owl

Swing:

Let The Good Tmes Roll, Smack Dab In The Middle, Them That Got: Ray Charles

Pride & Joy, Cold Shot: Stevie Ray Vaughan

Theme From "M-Squad"

Two by Two - Tony Bennett

I've Got The World On A String, The Song Is You - Sinatra

ballroomboilergirl said:
Now it's time to compile a list of good east/west coast swing and jive songs to practice to!
Well, it isn't strictly Jive, since it's got weird breaks in it, but I ADORE the song "Asereje" by Los Hijas Del Tomate from the CD entitled "Ketchup" I believe....

pygmalion

peachexploration said:
Hey guys. Was listening to a R&B station and heard "Hey Ya" by Outkast. It's a fun song. Could you possibly do Jive to this song? Just curious. :?:
What a shocker. I did listen to this today, and I could swing to it. Surprise, surprise. Not sure about jive, though. I've only done that dance a handful of times, so I don't clearly remember the correct tempos. :?

pygmalion said:
What a shocker. I did listen to this today, and I could swing to it. Surprise, surprise. Not sure about jive, though. I've only done that dance a handful of times, so I don't clearly remember the correct tempos. :?
Yeah, I listen to very few hip hop artists but when I heard this one, I really thought it was fun music. For some reason I just see Jean Marc Généreux & France Mousseau jiving to this one. :D :banana:

Can anyone tell me where I can download Darling - Letkiss ?

I love the song, been looking for it for quite some time, but I cant find it anywere...

Thanks in Advance,
Erik

Hey Erik,

You can try any music download site...mp3.com is always a good source for music, There is also kazaa.com ,I prefer to use limewire.

Here are some of my favorite Jive tunes..

Some Girls - Barry Manilow
Reach - SClub7
Bright Side Of The Road - Van morrisson
Tell Her About It - Billy Joel
Jailhouse Rock - Elvis

peachexploration said:
Hey guys. Was listening to a R&B station and heard "Hey Ya" by Outkast. It's a fun song. Could you possibly do Jive to this song? Just curious. :?:
I hate that song! The 'HEEYYYYYYYEEEAAAAAAHHHH!!!!' just stays in my head eating at my nerves. :evil:

In no particular order:

Only the Good die young-Billy Joel

Runaround Sue-Dion

Rock around the clock-Bill Haley and the Comets

What's Next!- Big Bad Voodo Daddy

Track no. 5 on the first Jive Bunny album

Pride & Joy- Stevie Ray Vaughn & Double Trouble

It may be a bit too fast for Jive but I also like Love Struck Baby-Stevie Ray Vaughn & Double Trouble

mamboqueen

Wow! Can't believe someone else has heard "Aint got no home". I love that song. Generally not known for dance music, but The Best of the Band is a wonderful CD!

I like just about all swing music. My brain needs some time to come up with a few that I really like. But, for the most part, I like almost all big band music.

DancingMommy said:
ballroomboilergirl said:
Now it's time to compile a list of good east/west coast swing and jive songs to practice to!
Well, it isn't strictly Jive, since it's got weird breaks in it, but I ADORE the song "Asereje" by Los Hijas Del Tomate from the CD entitled "Ketchup" I believe....
They use this as a Samba song. At least around here they do

I totally blame this thread for my latest "favorite song to annoy the neighbors"

I had to hear LetKiss as you were saying how great it was.... now I have it on repeat all day long, even my 3 year old is singing the "dub dub dubi dubi dub" :lol: :lol: :lol:

oh boy

Theres no jive like:

Brian Setzer Orchestra - Zip Gun Bop
Brian Setzer Orchestra - Nosey Joe

and best of them all: Ellis Hall - Flip, Flop & Fly !!! :wink:

Dance Ads