Getting criticised on my tango walk by a newbie!

sixela

And no, I don't think it's in dispute. With group lessons, you don't get the personal feedback.
You've never seen me hog the teachers' attention at classes...you get personal feedback if you ask for it.

Fortunately for me (and unfortunately for the others) often no one volunteers to ask any feedback; you'd almost think pupils see it as a sign of weakness to ask 'something's wrong when THIS happens and I can't understand why, could you have a look?'

Of course the really bad thing about group classes is not that you can't get feedback, but (as tangomonkey rightly pointed out) that it's impossible for the classes to focus on exactly what _you_ currently need to improve to progress.

opendoor

..Of course the really bad thing about group classes is not that you can't get feedback, but (as tangomonkey rightly pointed out) that it's impossible for the classes to focus on exactly what _you_ currently need to improve...
My experience is that despite all attendees of a class are equal there are some among them being more equal than others (i.e. get what they need). We usually call these students poussin or cordero lechal.

Zoopsia59

what a porteño means with 'passion'.

But that is a very different thing to what a newbie understands by it, unfortunately, especially a newbie 'attracted to the dance by the passion' and who professes to know what it is after three weeks.
The newbies that you refer to above usually say "passion" but what they mean is "Overtly sexual"

I think what the porteno's mean (certainly what I personally feel tango "passion" means) is dancing with your whole being... your mind, heart, and soul completely immersed in the dance in the moment.

That is to say... exactly what it means to do almost anything with "passion".

The concept of what passion and being passionate about something means only gets twisted when we talk about tango (and maybe some other dances). Then for many newbies and beginners, passion takes on a more sexual context.

Ironically, even when talking about passion in sex, the definition above (immersing your heart, mind and soul in the moment) is still what actually happens to make sex passionate.

twnkltoz

The newbies that you refer to above usually say "passion" but what they mean is "Overtly sexual"

I think what the porteno's mean (certainly what I personally feel tango "passion" means) is dancing with your whole being... your mind, heart, and soul completely immersed in the dance in the moment.

That is to say... exactly what it means to do almost anything with "passion".

The concept of what passion and being passionate about something means only gets twisted when we talk about tango (and maybe some other dances). Then for many newbies and beginners, passion takes on a more sexual context.

Ironically, even when talking about passion in sex, the definition above (immersing your heart, mind and soul in the moment) is still what actually happens to make sex passionate.
Well said. Passion is something you feel, not something you do.

hello all,
Receiving a lot of criticism abouto my walk. she is a 3 week beginner but told me I don't collect enough and that I need to dance with more passion like I want to walk through her with long strides. I think she is believing her dance instructor's hyoe to dance in a showing off salon way. the kind of tsngo you could never do in small spaces. both are russians. otherwise she is very nice and I hzve enjoyed dancing with her until yesterday. it eats away at my confidence and next thiing I am dancing demoralized or stage tango

I have been dancing several years and pride myself on a porteno straight leg walk no one else has complained. I think she is on the wrong track. one guy she pointed out to me as a powerful dancer likes to stick his leg between hers --in a dirty dancing way ---yes she is a beauty.

next time I should disagree and tell her that I know what I am doing --- or that stage tango is not my way of dancing tango

what is your take on newbies telling you how to do it-- and how would you handle if you still want to dance with them.
Everybody brings their OWN style to the dance floor. Sometimes styles coincide and sometimes they clash. Everybody ISN'T compatible with everybody else. You didn't mention if the woman is your height.

Women aren't interchangeable like light bulbs.

I was in a beginners class yesterday because I love beginners classes, and the new student criticized me before I even touched her. Then during the milonga some dancer ladies who have been doing this a while were nice enough to dance with me and they didn't say anything.

Zoopsia59

If you ask me, everything you need to know comes from beginners classes. It's take lots of experience to figure that out.
Yeah, it's amazing how many intermediate and advanced classes one has to take to find out that they need to take beginner classes.

And then take them again.

And again.

Tango classes should really be titled (and structured):
Beginner Class for 1st timers
Beginner Class for those who have had an intro
Beginner Class for those who have had a little more than an intro
Beginner Class for intermediate dancers
Beginner Workshop for dancers who want a whole day of Beginner class
Beginner Class for Advanced dancers
Beginner Festival for dancers who just can't get enough.
Beginner Private for dancers who need personal attention to master beginner level dancing.

I think I've actually taken all these classes.. they just weren't called that.

Dance Ads