how are your lessons going? thread II

lessons are getting amazing. love the tango love the vwaltz love the foxtrot. and those 3 are all done now!!!! just a waltz to go and then just working on perfecting everything. and then, coming out with a bang!!!! I am so super excited.and then we are taking lessons to work on technique and styling and that is just as awesome and amazing!!!! I'm so super excited. :)

Techniques are starting to become more natural and I can see/feel the improvement, so it is time to move on to working on more routines and steps. Got some rumba and waltz stuff to work on, can't wait to get cracking on those

Oh that reminds me!!! GETTING OUT FINAL CHOREO ON MONDAY!!! Finishing with a waltz. :) So excited to finally have choreo and just going to be focusing on making it better and making it all work. I just know that we are going to have some of the best routines ever and be able to do them really well soon. I'm so excited and so ready. Now if I could just be just as motivated to finish a few papers etc, then I could spend all day and night, eating breathing, and sleeping the routines and practicing all the time.

chomsky

Oh that reminds me!!! GETTING OUT FINAL CHOREO ON MONDAY!!! Finishing with a waltz. :) So excited to finally have choreo and just going to be focusing on making it better and making it all work. I just know that we are going to have some of the best routines ever and be able to do them really well soon. I'm so excited and so ready. Now if I could just be just as motivated to finish a few papers etc, then I could spend all day and night, eating breathing, and sleeping the routines and practicing all the time.
now, this post is pure inspiration! Thanks, so lovely!:D

Sigh. Not danced for 2 weeks, was SO excited about starting again. Lesson was appalling. Remembered all the choreo but couldn't do very basic things such as, er, bend my legs or remember left and right. I think I was possibly worse than on my first ever lesson 18 months ago. I almost cried so my teacher stopped the lesson and sent me home. :(

No more lessons until Saturday now - assuming my teacher and I can both make time.

Sigh. Not danced for 2 weeks, was SO excited about starting again. Lesson was appalling. Remembered all the choreo but couldn't do very basic things such as, er, bend my legs or remember left and right. I think I was possibly worse than on my first ever lesson 18 months ago. I almost cried so my teacher stopped the lesson and sent me home. :(

No more lessons until Saturday now - assuming my teacher and I can both make time.
Been there before - don't let it discourage you! It will get better. I've had many appalling lessons, and the one that follows is usually fabulous. There is something about those terrible lessons that is horrible at the time, but somehow pushes you forward and makes everything better from that point on.

Speaking of which, lessons this weekend were hit and miss. Productive all around, but had to work through some personal issues in the beginning before it stopped being a head-butting exercise and started being a functional partnership again. But we got there - eventually - and I walked away feeling like I'm about to break through to the next level, again!

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
let's see...rumba; technically not bad...sorely lacking any essence of the dance...not sure that is going to get better...cha; can you relax without having legs turn to mush?...samba; you can have hips and shoulders, or neither...take your pick...

part two; back to standard...wait for it....I was glad...insert shocked emoticon here...waltz=dare I say this? felt pretty good most of the time and I think I was only pulled once...briefly...FT; not hateful and awful, but not as good as waltz...tango; I am soaking wet and exhausted and don't even want to stand up straight...but a few genuinely yummy moments there...QS; we need to stop and deal with my complete memory loss of the timing and of the differing types of rise that produce it...I will not forget this

dlliba10

Can't wait to meet you two on the floor. ;)

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
rumba and cha of various levels and styles, jive at various speeds, paso review of some things that seem to have gotten lost along the way with some other improvement happily integrated...tuesday is always rough because I come in hurting from Monday...

moved on to smooth FT, silver and open..then, IIRC, a thorough review of my entire QS routine making certain that I know all of the slows and quicks as well as the appropriate rise and fall and how to execute it...feel very good about finally having that in the hard drive....onto some standard gold...and some lead and follow...some things to feel good about ...some things, epic fail...in spite of myself, I am starting to enjoy standard as much as smooth...cannot beleive I really typed that...must be the exhaustion....I do marvel at my good fortune to get to dance with someone this talented

debmc

Lessons are getting intense... in a good way! Worked on all 5 dances today in silver and touched upon closed gold steps in chacha and rumba. It still amazes me that I still have to work on the basic principles over and over again. Love that my pro is so patient to just repeat and remind, and catches everything, doesn't let it slide, we repeat it until I get it right. He's terrific. A nice blend of structure and discipline with acknowledgment when I do succeed, and always pleasant even when I am being drilled! Love all my lessons!

latingal

I am very happy with the guidance I'm receiving in my lessons on preparing for upcoming comps, it seems to help set the correct mental state going in and preparing the body to be ready to perform. I have many hours of work to do to get ready, but I have a firm direction to proceed along!

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
lessons; let's see, rumba is feeling better and looks good though a tad--meh...missing the feel...spent some some working leg action in cha...and then needed to review some technique slippage on my voltas...moved on to waltz which, felt okay as long as I managed to stay relaxed, in both waltz and tango, we spent some time making sure I was using my standing leg well and moving my body before my foot...two contrachecks in a row=yum

today was more rumba and then jive at lightspeed and then slow, and every speed in between, with work on the places where I need to make sure I don't over turn so that I don't lose speed...more cha, more of same technical issue...

moved on to FT, and by then I was fairly well smoked...needed to review timing, fluiditity, PP...also some waltz with similar issues

Purr

Not really focusing on one thing in particular, just the basics...also trying not to turn into pre comp psycho student...working so far...whatever I know or don't know isn't going to change much over the next couple of lessons...so just going with it...

debmc

Lesson in chacha focused on getting more on my foot for all turns, spirals and directional changes, ditto in rumba, rumba walk drills, samba worked on trying to improve samba walks, paso looks good ( to me anyway), jive still is a struggle. It just feels so fast to me, it is hard to have any kind of good technique. Still working on remembering to lift knees up more and to not collapse posture during the jive. I have to convince myself... I like the jive! Then we quickly reviewed Three Threes, 3 Alemanas, Sliding Doors and Continuous Hip Twists ( or something like that). Fun!

Dance Ads