how are your lessons going? thread II

debmc

Coaching today with latin female pro. Worked on samba. I can understand what needs to be done, and replicate it, but not consistently. Good lesson though. Also reviewed a bit of rumba, alot of attention on feet.

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
sigh...not one for the record books...usually monday is a fairly good day till the last 45 minutes, but I was tired and sad the whole time...sore and hungry...and why am I not awesome for the ffort on all of those fronts?...basically sucked at rumba spirals, as well as coming out of fan into my gold cha choreo, and supreme suck at gold jive to speed... try starting the spin from your standing leg, doofus...(that will be helpful tomorrow at practice but was mostly demoralizing today)

then, on to the torture of trying to look like I enjoy and can dance intl FT...epic fail... but hopefully the breakdown of the twist turn will make it less horrid eventually, IF I can also remember to keep a long neck and shoulders that are relaxed and, and, and.....wonder how good a truly talented person could be throwing this much time and money at it

poured some tequila on it but still not sure if I should ever bother competing again...grumble....going to bed early and hoping that tomorrow is a new day

NURDRMS

but still not sure if I should ever bother competing again...grumble....going to bed early and hoping that tomorrow is a new day
exactly where I am at the moment. Danced the best ever at Colorado Star this past weekend, very good smooth results but rhythm marks were not terrific (good, but not terrific.) Have never been one to give up, but perhaps this is just a skill I'm not going to learn?

latingal

ah ladies....I can empathize, but do remember, this is a skill that most of the top pros and amateurs that we wish to emulate have been doing for most of their lives. It takes time, good instruction and many hours - especially when you're playing catch up.

It's already pretty darn amazing we can do what we can do if you ask me....

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
exactly where I am at the moment. Danced the best ever at Colorado Star this past weekend, very good smooth results but rhythm marks were not terrific (good, but not terrific.) Have never been one to give up, but perhaps this is just a skill I'm not going to learn?
while I care to mark well on some level...for me, it isn't about the marks in this instance...it is about my own frustration with myself ...I am sort of mostly over the marks...I've learned a thing or two about that...

as to your point LG; personally, I am aware of those things...but I still think I ought to be more comeptant on a variety of fronts...at any rate, am not really looking to get into a big chat over it...it was simply an underwhelming lesson, and I am tired and sore and hungry...and tired of none of that getting me very far...but I will get over myself...

latingal

Mostly rumba in the last lessons, lovely! Concentrated on giving intent to the steps; the choreography is technically difficult and a challenge, but I'm getting through it well enough to start working on connection and interaction. I like this routine a lot, it just needs to become second nature....

frame frame frame in smooth closed hold. It would be nice if i could stop leaning backward when i am supposed to be stretching up...it does help that my pro just stops when i am doing it wrong, so i immediately can recognize that i'm doing it wrong. else i'd just go go go.

stash

Great lesson today. I think it got me out of the bad dance mood funk that's been clouding my brain all week.

Lots to work on though--turning then placing the foot, breathing, more isolation, and figuring out how work press lines and hips >.>

But things feel good overall :)

Aura

DP is currently on a leave of absence due to some family issues, so I've been working with the other instructors on some pretty basic stuff (just got back from a two month hiatus). I hope DP is alright. Plan to give him a big hug next time I see him.

Wannabee

today's lessons made yesterday's seem pleasant...enough said...here's to next week
I know I have nothing to offer you that might help, but I can tell you that although I'm sorry you had a bad couple of lesson days, it makes me feel better to know that someone of your dance caliber can feel this way too.

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
well thanks...you are kind...but you may have never seen me dance...my dance calibre is not particularly impressive....but I do appreciate the comment...as I have lessons today which I usually look forward to...and today...well, I'm not looking forward to them...and that is kind of a bummer...hoping it passes

AND we're back to the neverending quest for more emotion and expression, which means lessons that feel something like emotional bumper cars. On the plus side, I'm getting kudos for technique, which seems to be better than ever.

Fasc - I totally get it. It will pass eventually. Good luck with your lessons!

Haven't had a lesson in 2 weeks :( makes me so sad. But we have two coming up when I come back from my internship (I flew down to Florida to intern at Doré Designs)!!! Well maybe even 3. I am excited to finish my waltz, to improve other dances, and doing a show this Saturday! Ugh I am just extremely excited!

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
happy to report that the Gods must have been whispering in pro's ear...and mercy came running...felt like most of what was horrendous last week, promised some small improvement this week..still have alot of work to do do increase my spinning speed in jive and in keeping my hands where they belong as well as using them appropriately (and that isn't NEARLY as fun as it sounds)....then, well, it was smooth day sans foxtrot...which confirms that he may have picked up on the fact that I felt like sticking my head in the oven last week...plus we got to vw to a song that I am particularly fond of....I am SO easy...throw in a little tango and, as a friend likes to say, we set the world to rights....(or something like that)....AND, as a special gift from heaven, a dragon I have been trying to slay for years, sort of came into compliance (issues pertaining to various contortions that I like to create in my frame)...so....happy girl

Wannabee

happy to report that the Gods must have been whispering in pro's ear...and mercy came running...so....happy girl
Happy to hear it fasc.

We have a showcase this Saturday and my I keep losing balance over and over again on the same 2 pieces of choreo. I shamelessly begged pro to fit me in for another lesson sometime this week to focus on only those 2 issues, and he said he would work me in if I really wanted him to, but he said I would be fine with the one more practice session that I already have scheduled. I think he's full of it but I bowed out gracefully lol. I'm not sure how much more verbal information pro can give me to help me execute the step any better anyway, which I guess was ultimately his point too.

I practiced this particularly problematic step on my own last night, doing it over and over and over while trying to recognize why it wasn't working and trying to implement corrections as best I could. But nothing seemed consistently wrong. One time I'm not over my foot far enough, the next time I'm too far over my foot, the next I'm falling out forward, the next I'm falling out backward, under-rotated this time, over-rotated next time, etc., etc. How can I "fix" it if I can't even recognize where the problem lies?

latingal

Hey Wannabee....perhaps you can try this since you're so close to your showcase, after you've done slow repetitions to perform the movements technically correctly, take it up to speed and STOP thinking.

Your body has to be relaxed to work well in dance, too much thinking and over directing of the conscious mind can actually hinder what you are trying to accomplish. Instead make it your goal to do the step and if it doesn't come out "perfect" just cover it up....in this way you not only practice to get it "correct" but also how to work with it in performance.

Just my two cents....

NURDRMS

Took a random latin lesson (haven't done latin in years) and boy did it feel good. Gonna have to find the time to add that style back in to my comp prep schedule!

Dance Ads