how are your lessons going? thread II

Wannabee

Hey Wannabee....perhaps you can try this since you're so close to your showcase, after you've done slow repetitions to perform the movements technically correctly, take it up to speed and STOP thinking.

Your body has to be relaxed to work well in dance, too much thinking and over directing of the conscious mind can actually hinder what you are trying to accomplish. Instead make it your goal to do the step and if it doesn't come out "perfect" just cover it up....in this way you not only practice to get it "correct" but also how to work with it in performance.

Just my two cents....
I like this approach. I think I will give it a shot. And actually, my best ones were the ones where I just got so frustrated with doing it slowly and messing it up that I just said "screw it, I'm going for it", did the full step at speed and it worked much better than slowing down each piece for scrutiny. Weird. Last lesson tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll be rested and focused.

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
I think this is a common thing...often, I do better spirals in cha b/c there isn't as much time to think about where and how to do everything...I just let natural body mechanics take over...eventually, you will figure out how to replicate it..you will

latingal

I just said "screw it, I'm going for it", did the full step at speed and it worked much better than slowing down each piece for scrutiny. Weird.
Not at all, you're teaching your body what to do in the slow repetitions...then letting it do it's job by not thinking when you do it at speed.

Normally I would slowly take the movement up to speed, but since you're under the gun for time - and the body may not have enough time to make the new movement a consistent habit, doing it and learning how to deal with the aftermath calmly and with style will be helpful for your performance.

Just remember, a good dance isn't about being perfect, it's about good movement/performance whether it's been choreographed that way or not!

Good luck Wannabee!

gracie

Finally reached my goal! After studying Int. Latin for 4 or so years and doing closed gold for the last year, my Pro is letting me move to open! We started working on open choreography for Paso today and it was really fun. I have done a couple of open showcase numbers in Rumba and Jive so will do Paso for next one. I'm hoping to have it all done in time for Heritage. Especially coming off a tiring comp. week at Millennium, this was particularly elating!!:banana::banana:

dlliba10

Coach completely reworked half my partner's and my Smooth Tango routine at our request (too Standardy). On the bright side, it definitely doesn't look like Standard anymore and I get to pull off some really magnificent lines and actions. On the not so bright side, my poor partner is going to be very, very sore after every tango.

Lessons are tiring lately. Going to get my thyroid levels checked, because I am dragging despite eating and sleeping well, and a lighter workout load. Hopefully getting energy back will be a quick medication fix.

samina

Finally reached my goal! After studying Int. Latin for 4 or so years and doing closed gold for the last year, my Pro is letting me move to open! We started working on open choreography for Paso today and it was really fun. I have done a couple of open showcase numbers in Rumba and Jive so will do Paso for next one. I'm hoping to have it all done in time for Heritage. Especially coming off a tiring comp. week at Millennium, this was particularly elating!!:banana::banana:
that is really exciting, gracie. celebrating with you... :)

it took a lot of work to get to this point. well done!

latingal

Worked rumba in lessons today. It's been a long time since we've done any concentration on the nuances and breathing in following, and it's gone south.

So much work has gone in to the technical portion of learning and performing a new more difficult routine that the feel between the partners in the partnership has suffered. Time to pay some attention to awareness....

3wishes

Last lesson for showcase was great, with the exception that he kept pushing in on my almost broken rib - SCREAM - each time. Now to just "balance" in my shoes...would be an achievement...thinking of going to lower heels. Otherwise it was finally, a good lesson, on my part.

latingal

Awesome lessons today. After going to extremes on the last set of corrections, pro brought me back to grounding and dynamics to counter the issues I was creating with the last set. Dancing felt great in practice afterwards.

Also a better understanding of where to "wait" and what to do while waiting in the lead/follow and what that actually feels like when done correctly. The feel was different than what I thought it should be....very interesting!

If I can find a way to get all this in....wow!

Finally finished waltz, and therefore all smooth routines are complete. Which means, practe, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, and practice. I'm not sure but I think I forgot, oh yeah, practice.

Well we were planning on getting a bit more on one of our long sides in viennese waltz, and I forget what we talked about foxtrot, maybe just reviewing it because it has been a bit messy. Oof. So much work. I just really want to compete. But I know that when I do, I want to be the bestest I possibly can, and so the partner and I are choosing to wait to compete until later and possibly outside of our usual competition area. But we will see. Regardless, we have at least a month and a half if not more before our first comp.

Lioness

Lessons are getting even better after over a year with our current coach. We've started focusing more on the little things that will make us look fantastic - shape, styling, musicality, etc.

Bring into that a couple of guest-coach lessons with Tony Gauci, and our Standard, Latin, and New Vogue, are getting seriously better. We're no longer coming flat last at competitions...and I think with the recent (since last comp) focus on posture and projection, we're looking even better.

Yesterday was my first lesson (actually I had two lessons) for over a month. After a couple of minutes of waltz, my teacher said: 'What's happened to you? You are on a real peak!' My other teacher said the same in his lesson. I think maybe the break has helped to clear my head of all the pressure and unnecessary stuff and I am just focusing on the basics like posture, timing and my partner.

I'm glad to be back! :)

samina

Yesterday was my first lesson (actually I had two lessons) for over a month. After a couple of minutes of waltz, my teacher said: 'What's happened to you? You are on a real peak!' My other teacher said the same in his lesson. I think maybe the break has helped to clear my head of all the pressure and unnecessary stuff and I am just focusing on the basics like posture, timing and my partner.

I'm glad to be back! :)
that's wonderful to hear, ladybird. you must be very pleased... :)

Dance Ads