how are your lessons going? thread II

NURDRMS

First time in months that lessons were actually fun. I mean, they're always good but lately rarely FUN. Possibly because we have a rather lengthy break before our next comp and the pressure was off. Or maybe because we were playing with the open choreography to change some things that have been nagging. Either way, I'll take it!!!

Totally loving every second of it - truly excited about dancing for the first time in a long time. Finding it very ironic that I am thrilled to be overloaded with "homework". Smooth is definitely a more natural fit for me, except for the very minor (okay, not so minor) part where I have to un-learn years of deliberately training my body in latin motion. For some unfathomable reason (usually involving a lot of tripping, bumping of knees, and almost falling over), turnout, ribcage separation, and settling the hips don't seem to translate well into smooth. ;)

latingal

Attended a very good workshop the other day, was nice to be surrounded by other competitive dancers since I dance so much by myself. Information was quite good, and lots of in class work to explore the ideas.

cornutt

Silver rumba and cha-cha under the new DVIDA syllabus are really coming together. The extra lessons I've been taking this month are helping a lot. Next week, spend some more time on the bolero.

Foxtrot is doing better too. Waltz and tango still need help. Oddly, Viennese waltz is where I've had the most success correcting the things my coaches have had me working on.

stash

OMG new bigger frame. It hurts in a good way. It's forcing my back to stretch out instead of compressing itself and forcing me to use my abs more. Now to make it stick. lol

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
lessons were rough this week ...was a dream to be dancing again, but I felt very battle worn and a tad more fragile than I expected...and was utterly exhausted by the second day...that being said...what I so appreciate about this pro is that he is always about "what do we do to make you dance better?"...and he was right back at it in spite of my struggling...I have alot of respect for the man

danceronice

Continue to be functionally retarded in International Foxtrot, but at least I begin to have some suspicion as to why. Everything else is good except I think either new job is CAUSING a problem, or exacerbating one, causing excruciating pain and pins and needles in my right arm, especially the thumb and wrist. In Standard, this is not a problem usually, as I don't move it much, but can be going along fine in Rhythm and then the wrong move = OW. (Rhythm is what it is. Thank goodness scholarship's a three-dance as I think Mambo in particular at Harvest Moon is going to be...interesting. Someday I'll learn the routine. Right now he just keeps trying things and seeing what happens.)

Good lessons today. Feeling like I'm crawling in smooth, not even walking yet, much less dancing, but teacher assures me I'm moving along pretty quick, all considered. My brain feels like it's nothing but misfires, but the dancing feels nice when I just stop trying to think. Maybe that will come in handy later. :)

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
so...didn't realize how much self-pity I have been wallowing in, or how bruised my ego still is...but....pro took some lumber to my hindquarters today and made sure that I got myself going on what needs to be done....and I did not like him at all for the first two hours...pretty much defined the quote; " there will be beatings until the morale improves around here"...but ya know what? he is awesome even when he is annoying... and we worked alot on musicality and shaping and use of my center and legs in very important ways that will make a difference... and I appreciate that even when I seem hopeless, and even if he isn't sure I am going to succeed, he never misses an opporunity to make sure that I have a chance to improve...bengay immanant ...and no, I did not eat dinner

Had a really great private lesson with hubbie last week focussing on hold in tango, much progress seemed to happen. Managed a brief practice at the weekend, still seemed to have stuck but hard to tell cos we were on carpet. Then get to our group lesson last night and it's pretty much all gone. Sorry to moan, but I get so frustrated sometimes - and showing him quite how much would be unhelpful. We've been dancing B&L for 6.5 years together - only weekly group classes mostly, but I feel by now he should have figured out a solid hold. It doesn't help when he says 'I don't want to stand up straight all the time'!

Purr

Had an awesome double lesson yesterday with coach...did waltz and foxtrot...both pro and coach were pleased with how it went...had really nice feedback from coach...for me, I was just happy to be dancing and doing something productive...due to injury I haven't been able to do much dancing for the past few months...looking forward to today...hoping to have coach look at tango today, besides pick up with waltz and foxtrot...

Dance Ads