how are your lessons going? thread II

latingal

interesting lesson going back over the last year of work and tracking the progression. revisited the purpose of each phase of work and cleared up some perceptions that appeared to be conflicts. it's been a good year of work and improvement!

cornutt

We've been dancing B&L for 6.5 years together - only weekly group classes mostly, but I feel by now he should have figured out a solid hold. It doesn't help when he says 'I don't want to stand up straight all the time'!
You, or more specifically your DH, needs some private lessons if you haven't been doing that. I've been dancing longer than you have and I'm still working on my bleepety-bleep tango frame. I've finally resigned myself to the fact that I've got to place my right hand lower than the books say in smooth, to avoid my right shoulder tensing up; in tango that means my hand is about as low as it can be and still be suitable for public consumption. :rolleyes: But that's what works for me in taking some of the stress and tension out of my frame. A tense frame (as opposed to a firm frame), I've come to realize, is a dance killer.

Purr

Again, awesome double lesson with coach yesterday...lots more lowering...longer, deliberate movement...timing of movement...did I mention lowering...and picked up a few recovery tricks...feeling good about where this is going...

JANATHOME

Here you cornutt.... I have been working with instructor to take the tension out of my body, and agree is a dance killer.... It is the spots in the routine that I anticipate "this is hard" that my body goes tense, yet that is the exact thing that makes it hard, the lack of flow.... what a circle I get myself in!!

Recently we starting working on styling and shaping in smooth, and especially the idea that my arms are an extension of the expression of my body.... It looks easy enough when I see it done well on other dancers, but darn it is hard, but going well enough to make me super excited!! When it happens right it feels dreamy!!

Next comp I will just be dancing smooth and I am really liking that my lessons are focused on one style.

cornutt

Here you cornutt.... I have been working with instructor to take the tension out of my body, and agree is a dance killer.... It is the spots in the routine that I anticipate "this is hard" that my body goes tense, yet that is the exact thing that makes it hard, the lack of flow.... what a circle I get myself in!!
Yeah, until recently I didn't appreciate how difficult I was making it for myself. I've had way too much of a tendency to just muscle myself through anything that was technically difficult for me. (And although I try to avoid throwing my partners around, I know I've done it some.) I have a general tendency to carry tension in my shoulders and upper body. Lately I've been making a point, at work, of making myself relax my upper body now and then.

I'm noticing the past two weeks that my right shoulder is a lot more comfortable if I hold my right hand palm down. However, I suspect that follows don't find that very secure.

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
well...I managed to rally and not feel sorry for myself for the entire time (only part of the time :))...we didn't really look at the things I had been working on so I am not yet certain whether or not I am getting some of that...hoping next week will feel a bit less heavy

danceronice

New dress works just fine for Standard and we gave it a shot with Smooth (it'll do for now there.) Only one hitch--the zipper, which stuck the second time I tried it on (wouldn't unzip, which was moderately terrifying when I hadn't decided to buy it yet), took twenty minutes to get zipped when I paid it off and had it sent to me, is now jammed open. We couldn't move it, dress on me or off. It's one of those "invisible" zippers, the outer fabric of the dress isn't cut as far down as the zipper goes, and the zip seems to be coming off the track. The dress does stay up just fine without it, so I am putting a strap across the top temporarily and when I see the dressmakers in Ohio, I'll talk to them about it.

I'm definitely under orders to dance up to the dress, though! And in Rhythm...yeah, Mambo's gonna be lead and follow next week. I have no idea how this routine goes. Whee!

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
I will not be there for rhythm...have to work...only doing std, smooth and latin...silver std and latin (with one set of open silver in each in order to work on the new gold stuff)...then open only in the smooth

danceronice

I'll probably see you for Standard then, your single heats should be before my scholarship. I've got to leave as soon as I'm done, sadly, Saturday's the killer day at work. And I've got TWO absences coming up in November (sales trip and Ohio. Where I will REALLY be dancing at o-dark-thirty. Joy. One of NP's other students is going to OSB to spectate and her husband's never been before. You should have seen his face when I said what time I would probably be dancing....I have a feeling he's not a morning person.)

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
will look for you then....oddly, I was one of those people who preferrred O'dark thirty to "sit around and wait" then "need a nap"...should have quit after bronze :)

danceronice

will look for you then....oddly, I was one of those people who preferrred O'dark thirty to "sit around and wait" then "need a nap"...should have quit after bronze :)
As long as I don't have to dance again eight hours later, early's not bad. Though I'll probably get home around 2am Saturday, which will not be fun if I got up no later than six! Ohio, I'm done right away, so that's not too bad.

And yes, doing Standard there, too--keeps both his students on one day, and as that's been eating up entire lessons (hence my Rhythm routines being catch as catch can right now) it's probably what I'm best prepped for. This lesson was partially a dress test run for Standard and that added costume-change time! In fact I had to remind him, even though the scholarship's only three dance, if we're doing Bolero and Mambo heats we better run through that at least once.

Hit and miss today. Getting ready for a showcase, which somehow always makes me cranky - spending lots of lesson time choreographing. I like showcases, I just always feel like there is a better use of that time even though I know it's good practice and a nice break and blah, blah, blah...

But productive overall, and this smooth thing is getting a little bit better every day.

Finally feeling pretty solid about my smooth frame and posture. Apparently I had been compensating for my partners too much, which was why I could never quite figure it out and make it as comfortable as I am when dancing with her. She basically said I need to be more selfish and just worry about doing my part and looking good.

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
brief synopsis of lessons: yesterday was full of wonderful information that at least felt new and like it was quickly going to improve my dancing...today was various shades of the same plus some jive hazing :)

debmc

Hit and miss today. Getting ready for a showcase, which somehow always makes me cranky - spending lots of lesson time choreographing. I like showcases, I just always feel like there is a better use of that time even though I know it's good practice and a nice break and blah, blah, blah...

But productive overall, and this smooth thing is getting a little bit better every day.
I used to do showcases, but I always felt the same way... that it distracted from lesson time and was alot of money/time spent focused on one routine that I was probably never going to do again. That being said, I can see the value of the performance aspect of it and they are fun to do! Good luck with yours!

debmc

My lesson today focused on stronger movement in rumba and chacha, shaping in paso and introduced some new patterns throughout all the 5 dances.

Dance Ads