how are your lessons going? thread II

danceronice

Instructor wants me to up my tango game. "It's time for your tango to not look like foxtrot." We worked a lot on making various movements sharper, ranging from basic steps to fans and open-outs and oversways.
Lol...funny, Standard again today and it came up how opposite the legs are between tango and foxtrot (on tango, we were working on how to move the leg vs weight, then the same thing came up regarding timing in foxtrot and I pointed out he was basically having me do the diametric opposite of what he'd had me do in tango, and perhaps this explains why there seems to be a correlation between liking foxtrot/disliking tango and vice versa.)

Also, as we start Viennese:

NP: "Do they usually split the floor in Standard at Ohio?"
Me: "Yes, they did last time I did Standard, there are too many people...oh, God, we're going to go in really small circles now, aren't we?" (I have GOT to learn to stop answering questions like that honestly!)

danceronice

exactly best analogy so far is tango is like walking forward on sand in flippers!!
Heh, his favorite analogy about backsteps (especially) in Foxtrot is "You're on the beach, drag your toe through the sand." Here is where wearing Smooth shoes helps as court shoes feel completely inflexible to me. I don't have any slows in slow fox, only quicks, he's trying for SOME sort of delay on the slow. Meanwhile in tango, he's trying to get me to do either "English" (send the foot, then go) or "Italian" (get the foot under the body, then send it, then go), but either way, whichever's easier, stop sending my weight along with the foot so they both arrive at the same time. So it actually moves like tango.

Yeah, I'm amazed he hasn't torn his hair out over me yet, too. I don't know, maybe it's that I'm one of the few students he has who likes Viennese.

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
I used to have no slows until I realized that it was because it took no longer to say "slow" in my head than it does to say "quick" which is why I generally count it instead and use lots of "ands" as well...it really made a difference....

danceronice

I say slow, and yet it doesn't come out in my feet the way it does in my head...Also, one point in the routine, I kick NP so many times (moving on the wrong leg) he threatens to put me so far outside partner I can't reach him.

JANATHOME

great lesson yesterday, use of feet and ankles and lack of tension is finally cooperating with me. A rather simple figure in waltz routine that I have tons of trouble with is coming along too. Pro figured out that although this is a step out of frame, how to dance it in a practice hold to give me feedback, worked!

Does Hurricane Sandy not understand I compete in 2 weeks? Lesson cancelled today due to pending weather.

Spiced up quickstep routine yesterday by adding a few syncopations: Q-n-Q instead of Q-Q-S. Good run-throughs during the lesson, except for whacking my partner with an elbow on one of the spin-outs (whoops!)

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
conclusions today; um....if we don't pull it together and begin take rhythm a bit more seriously, we might want to consider not doing it...omg, haven't done much since usdc...and it shows...we will re-visit that tomorrow..also had a bit of fun doing wcs for reasons I cannot fathom except that this was one of those rare days when playful pro showed up to dance ( I like that guy)...ahem, however....ohio is just around the corner so we had to pull ourselves together and get down to business...seeing some corrections show up in latin...then, my goodness, can I just take this rare moment to say that standard waltz and even tango seemed very improved today for very deliberate reasons on my part? (and I mean I am actually proud of the waltzing...yes, proud)...and he knew it and used it and danced accordingly into it, then promptly nagged me about something that needs to be fixed...and, for the first time in 4 1/2 years I decided to take the moment to inform him that I am good enough to know that that was fairly significantly good and I am glad I know enough to congratulate myself absent his praise...he was amused and informed me that one cannot have a holiday everyday or it wouldn't mean anything...fair, enough...I am still celebrating...alone, but it was good and I know it...and so does he (and it takes alot of chutzpah for me to dare ever say that) ...FT was a tad more bumpy but still improved...and hey, it was the end of the lesson...I could not walk by then

Purr

conclusions today; um....if we don't pull it together and begin take rhythm a bit more seriously, we might want to consider not doing it...omg, haven't done much since usdc...and it shows...we will re-visit that tomorrow..also had a bit of fun doing wcs for reasons I cannot fathom except that this was one of those rare days when playful pro showed up to dance ( I like that guy)...ahem, however....ohio is just around the corner so we had to pull ourselves together and get down to business...seeing some corrections show up in latin...then, my goodness, can I just take this rare moment to say that standard waltz and even tango seemed very improved today for very deliberate reasons on my part? (and I mean I am actually proud of the waltzing...yes, proud)...and he knew it and used it and danced accordingly into it, then promptly nagged me about something that needs to be fixed...and, for the first time in 4 1/2 years I decided to take the moment to inform him that I am good enough to know that that was fairly significantly good and I am glad I know enough to congratulate myself absent his praise...he was amused and informed me that one cannot have a holiday everyday or it wouldn't mean anything...fair, enough...I am still celebrating...alone, but it was good and I know it...and so does he (and it takes alot of chutzpah for me to dare ever say that) ...FT was a tad more bumpy but still improved...and hey, it was the end of the lesson...I could not walk by then
Sounds like a great lesson all around!

JANATHOME

Sunday lesson cancelled due to Sandy, Monday lesson cancelled, studio closed due to Sandy... Today, wind is still too strong for my little 2 seater car, which would of become airborne on the highway.... I cancel...

Off topic a bit.... So instead go out to dinner with husband and I tell him that I am using our AMEX points to go to Ohio. I tell him he is welcome to come, he declines, whew!!!....

I tell him my expectations are minimal, about my fears. This might of been better than a lesson... He lectures me to expect greatness. Tells me a story about his years in college football, a no fear kind of discussion...Really, nothing beats a kick you in the butt husband who supports your dreams, emotionally and financial....

stash

Sunday lesson cancelled due to Sandy, Monday lesson cancelled, studio closed due to Sandy... Today, wind is still too strong for my little 2 seater car, which would of become airborne on the highway.... I cancel...

Off topic a bit.... So instead go out to dinner with husband and I tell him that I am using our AMEX points to go to Ohio. I tell him he is welcome to come, he declines, whew!!!....

I tell him my expectations are minimal, about my fears. This might of been better than a lesson... He lectures me to expect greatness. Tells me a story about his years in college football, a no fear kind of discussion...Really, nothing beats a kick you in the butt husband who supports your dreams, emotionally and financial....
My boyfriend (and standard partner) and I take turns in kicking each other in the butt (figuratively) as competitions and uncertainties come up.

latingal

pro-am rounds....disconcerting when you get feedback that they look nothing like how you perceive them, does that stop at some point?

also hard to find a steady level of quality from one round to the next....*sigh*

Had my first jazz movement class where we learned a small jazz routine. Never moved my body like that before. A lot of fun, but my body paid for it. Need to work on better stretching.

Also had a class on spinning techniques. Much more difficult than I initially believed.

latingal

still feeling inconsistent but at this point too exhausted to continue trying to figure it out. trying very hard not to just throw my hands up in disgust....

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
sometimes, after a hard knock, we forget all that we have accomplished....and we dance out of the hard knock, instead of out of all that we have accomplished...and it kills the flow....hug...you can do this...for yourself...and the rest is irrelevant...and so can I :)

Dance Ads