how are your lessons going? thread II

latingal

sometimes, after a hard knock, we forget all that we have accomplished....and we dance out of the hard knock, instead of out of all that we have accomplished...and it kills the flow....hug...you can do this...for yourself...and the rest is irrelevant...and so can I :)
Thanks fasc....words of wisdom that remind me what is important..... hugs!

I'm on a budget but I've had a bunch of coaching sessions with some accompolished pros. I finally have found the dvds that teach the exact same principles. It's nice to be able to not spend 80 bucks an hour for closely guarded ballroom secrets along with being able to rewind if I need to refresh my memory on something.

debmc

I'm on a budget but I've had a bunch of coaching sessions with some accompolished pros. I finally have found the dvds that teach the exact same principles. It's nice to be able to not spend 80 bucks an hour for closely guarded ballroom secrets along with being able to rewind if I need to refresh my memory on something.
What DVD's have you liked?

jump'n'jive

i wasn't on the receiving end of the lesson, but yesterday i taught 7 straight lessons with no breaks in between! i was in a bad auto accident in august and ripped my internal and external oblique's off of my hip bones. had to have a serious surgery and both muscles had to have mesh sewn to my muscle and drilled into my hip bones. i felt great teaching yesterday and really felt like i was back to my old self again on the dance floor.

The specialty videos on dancevision.com. They break down the fundamentals of good dancing better than anything I've ever seen. Things like posture, swing, and sway are explained so that one understands the physics behind these beautiful movements.

The specialty videos on dancevision.com. They break down the fundamentals of good dancing better than anything I've ever seen. Things like posture, swing, and sway are explained so that one understands the physics behind these beautiful movements.
I agree. The Dance Vision DVD's are very good. You may also wish to try the DVD's by Emilio Libero. They cost a little less than the Dance Vision DVD's and have some patterns on them that the Dance Vision DVD's do not have. Also Dance Vision has some patterns that the Libero DVD's do not have. In addition, I would recommend that you try some of the USISTD or the ISTD instructional DVD's. You can find the ISTD and Libero DVD's by using Google. I have found them all to be very helpful when I use them as a supplement or back-up to the group classes and/or private lessons. Good luck.

JudeMorrigan

I had my first Latin lesson today since before Millenium. I have to say, it's particularly surreal being the "experienced" half of a partnership in *Latin*. Still, the lesson went well and I don't doubt my am partner will pick things up quickly enough.

latingal

Lessons the last couple of days...working on the mental game. Things seem to be coming together with both personal insights and specific targeted feedback from pro on the dancing I am doing right now. Also stretching the boundaries of my dancing, which funny enough I'm finding have been in my own backyard all along....(yea...my head is not an easy place to be - LOL!)

JudeMorrigan

I'm really happy with how my pro-am lessons are going. It's obviously a very different thing than what she does with her pro partner, but I feel like when I'm really focusing, what I'm doing with my instrcutor actually counts as "dancing". Generally this would mean that it's about time for a rude awakening, but I'm keeping my expectations tempered for my next comp with her.

Also, lots of work on use of hips in standard as well as the location of my mansierre while I dance. (Note: I do not actually wear a mansierre. Or a bro. For the record.)

Good today overall, after a few weeks off. Still working on showcase choreography, but something must be working even then because my last few "social dancing" breaks have resulted in me noticing some pretty major improvements in both smooth and rhythm since my previous social dancing excursions - lots more being over my own feet and confidence in what I am doing. Both teach and I are having fun with this showcase, but looking forward to moving on. Ready to get back to actual training and prepping for competitions. He brought up the competition discussion today for the first time since switching styles...starting to get a plan together for after the holidays.

debmc

Latin lessons are coming along nicely, but smooth... it's a whole new world! I'm talking bronze smooth too.. just the basics... it feels so different than anything I've done before ( rhythm/latin)....

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
standard is feeling alarmingly nice, except for tango...when did that become my worst dance?...I mean it is feeling quite independent and balanced and lovely...smooth is coming along in a similar vein, but with some wrinkles... latin and rhythm are improving...my feet hurt...the margarita was good...heat in the hotel is blaring, I know there's bengay somewhere in this bag...tomorrow is a day off to run errands and pack for some upcoming conferences before ohio...last pre-osb lessons on sun and mon.....que sera

cornutt

Latin lessons are coming along nicely, but smooth... it's a whole new world! I'm talking bronze smooth too.. just the basics... it feels so different than anything I've done before ( rhythm/latin)....
Fun, isn't it? There's nothing in the world quite like smooth.

The good: choreography is finally finished for the showcase! Now we have a few weeks to practice and actually get to the point where it looks halfway decent.

The bad: I'm past the point where I get dizzy dancing on my own feet, but holy heck, how do I not get dizzy in lifts where I have NO control and the world is spinning crazily and then I have to actually get down and dance more? Did a search on DF for tips, but the best I can figure so far is that with enough practice, it will go away eventually...

Dance Ads