how are your lessons going? thread II

danceronice

GGinrhinestones: that's about all I've every found with any kind of dizzy (unless you can sneak a hop to stop the fluid spinning that causes the feeling, which is easier in a hip-hop routine than it is in ballroom...) With skating spins (which you can't spot) I just kind of learned to...unfocus my eyes so I'm not trying to look at anything, which helps with dance turns.

Miss Silly

I'm making the switch now from American to International (gasp....no bolero for a while now *sniff*). I started Standard a couple months ago and last night did my first latin lesson in cha cha and could only barely keep my legs straight practicing it to rumba-music. It felt like a hot mess. LOL.

latingal

Great stuff in lessons this week. It seems all the correct body actions are starting to show up in the dancing and now it's time to go back and clean up the overall look of the dance. Concentrating on keeping the energy consistent in the upper half of the body.

cornutt

Finally getting my topline/torso issues sorted in smooth. My frame is more relaxed; my posture is less forward, and I'm not having to use as much force in general. Now that that's done, I need to sort my footwork. One issue I've run into: I will admit that there are places where I'm taking a toe or ball step instead of a heel, and I'm working on that. However, I'm also noticing that I'm sometimes accused of having taken a toe step when I know that I didn't -- I distinctly felt the heel first, but my toe is just barely off the floor and it looks like a toe step. Now, I realize that this is still not really correct, and that if the ball of my foot is that close to the floor on what is supposed to be a heel lead, then I'm still not really achieving the correct foot position.

However, to my mind, the two things (toe lead, and toe not far enough off the floor on a heel lead) are two different problems. The first one is just incorrect, and I know that, and I'm working on it. But the second one is a mechanics problem. And it's causing me some confusion in my lessons when I'm told that I did the former when I really did the latter. Need to figure out how to sort that out. And then there's the actual problem with the toe lifting. I think it goes back to when I was a runner. In high school I was on the cross-country team. In college, I tried to keep that up, but I started having terrible problems with shin splints. Eventually it became so painful that I quit. This business of lifting the toe activates the same muscles that caused me the shin-splint problem, and I can feel it when I work on that: those muscles around my shin bone get sore pretty quickly. My instructor is working with me on some foot exercises to stretch and strengthen those muscles.

JANATHOME

First lesson with new rhythm/latin instructor.
All it took was 45 minutes, and I am hooked!

The reason was this.... I realized quickly that I was dancing. I know this sounds stupid, but with my smooth instructor is so technical always that after this lesson I realized that it has been years, yes years that I actually felt like I was dancing for just the joy of it. That we were moving to the beat of the music...

A lot for me to ponder.

Good today...branched out of the showcase realm a bit now that choreography is done and hit some basic smooth technique - actually kind of nice to get back to "work" for a while! Still really having some issues with dizziness in lifts, but it's a little better...still have a few weeks to work on it before I have to find a way to come out of a lift and keep dancing without falling over. Wondering if maybe breathing would help? I think I'm forgetting that part in the whole trying-not-to-throw-up battle.

latingal

Planning session combined with some basic corrections. Am very excited to start a new round of focused work...next six months are going to be a bit more than a tad uncomfortable as we stretch my comfort zone considerably.....but it's what's required to get where I want to be. so be it.

cornutt

Yesterday: first lesson with DW since late October. In her absence, I've done a ton of work on frame, posture, and movement with the visiting coach. Now I have to get used to doing those things with a partner other than an instructor. And she has to get used to a lot of different things from me. Bad-habit accommodations have to be unlearned and we both need to get comfortable with the new feel of the connection.

NURDRMS

I can't figure out how to quote a previous post so will do this instead:

GGinrhinestones said, "The bad: I'm past the point where I get dizzy dancing on my own feet, but holy heck, how do I not get dizzy in lifts where I have NO control and the world is spinning crazily and then I have to actually get down and dance more? Did a search on DF for tips, but the best I can figure so far is that with enough practice, it will go away eventually..."

I have found that I either spot as I'm being turned during a lift or, if I'm unable to do that, as in a sidebar when I'm lifted above my partner's head with my body horizontal to the ground, I look at the floor while we're turning. That helps me figure out where I am when I come out of the lift. We only have one lift we do that I'm unable to spot OR look at the floor and when I come out of that lift we've placed a dramatic pause in the choreography for me to get my bearings again.

I can't figure out how to quote a previous post so will do this instead:

GGinrhinestones said, "The bad: I'm past the point where I get dizzy dancing on my own feet, but holy heck, how do I not get dizzy in lifts where I have NO control and the world is spinning crazily and then I have to actually get down and dance more? Did a search on DF for tips, but the best I can figure so far is that with enough practice, it will go away eventually..."

I have found that I either spot as I'm being turned during a lift or, if I'm unable to do that, as in a sidebar when I'm lifted above my partner's head with my body horizontal to the ground, I look at the floor while we're turning. That helps me figure out where I am when I come out of the lift. We only have one lift we do that I'm unable to spot OR look at the floor and when I come out of that lift we've placed a dramatic pause in the choreography for me to get my bearings again.
Thanks! I haven't tried looking at the floor, but I'll try it. Spotting definitely isn't an option. Come to think of it, I'm not entirely sure looking at the floor is an option either, since I'm basically lying upside down across his shoulder...but I'll try. I think being partly upside down and spinning does have something to do with it, since I don't have nearly the same problem when he drops me horizontal to the floor and spins the other way. It did get a little easier last week, and I have a few weeks to keep working on it, so hopefully it will all work out!

Purr

I had a lesson Saturday, my first in a month. Pro and I did the American and International waltz and tango routines. Pro said I had never danced better, said the dynamic of my smooth dancing has changed a lot over the last few months. My reply was maybe I should take time off more often. I don't think pro was amused.

I have coaching today and tomorrow with smooth coach. It's unfortunate timing, having missed lessons for so long, but it's not to be helped. I'm not missing the opportunity for coaching, and I'm looking forward to it.

Yes! Finally, finally, finally! All the way through the routine several times, including the lifts, and still functioning! Still dizzy, too, but it's entirely manageable. Now if I can just start figuring out some of this smooth technique, and not keep defaulting to rhythm when I start getting tired.

JANATHOME

Second lesson last night with new rhythm instructor... me, the one that dances smooth and does not do rhythm!!

I am like OMG, so this is why you all like the rhythm dances so much!!! It feels like a whole brand new experience... I wonder how can that be that different dance styles bring out such different emotions... All good!!

The two instructors are complete opposites as to how they approach teaching and even more their viewpoints as to what dance is, the contrast is awesome.

debmc

I am just continuing on having one great lesson or coaching after the other. I feel that I am acquiring alot of knowledge... now I have to bring it into my muscle memory....

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
going to repeat my Fb post here...and going to tell my pro this tomorrow....today were my first lessons since Ohio...i really didn't feel ready to return and was dreading it...he was brutal...fellow students asked me about my past few weeks, which have been crappy on every front, and he simply welcomed me back as a "lost soul", asked if I was done whining and then proceeded to want to hear nothing from me and see everything fixed TODAY...it was three hours of agony...that being said, what I appreciate about it is that I don't believe he would have bothered if he thought I was hopeless...and so...I am going to take all of that as a compliment :)

Dance Ads