how are your lessons going? thread II

danceronice

For me, the speed is less the problem than the timing...but somehow it still works better than swing, well enough to take over when I'm supposed to be all swing and loose.

twnkltoz

I had a lesson today with a good friend of mine I've taken lessons from off and on through the years. My brother/partner and I are doing a show on NYE and needed some help, but we only had time for big picture bandaid stuff...make it "presentable enough." We finished the lesson feeling sooo much better about the two routines. A bit of new material--not enough to throw us, but enough to freshen things up a bit. Fixed things we struggled with. It was great!

Feels like I'm finally back to real lessons after a very long break. Showcases are over and done, and now we're focused on comp routines and basic, basic actions - and I am loving it!!! It feels so good to be working again. Inspired all over again!!

dlliba10

Just had a double lesson, first lesson at all in a month. Got some very good basic exercises and work done, and we started working on standing spins! Those who know me know that this excited me to no end, as I've been looking forward to doing standing spins since like ... I started. WHEE!

latingal

Went to dance camp and had some coaching to close out 2012. Great information, I'm currently going through it all to decide which points I can start working now with my current corrections, and which ones I wish to plan out for the coming year. Lots of good stuff, and I'm excited about the direction my dancing is taking!

SO excited to finish with the "emotions" and "story" that we worked on for the NYE showcase and go back to technique. Dancing feels and looks good when we are prodded into shape by our teacher :)

danceronice

Does it sound silly that I was most pleased one thing NP worked on today was teaching me the 'spinout' bow at the end of a dance where he lets go of my hand and lets me walk away?

JANATHOME

LOL, I always feel silly when in the studio and the pro works on entering the ballroom and the bow....
But some things don't always come natural and need to be taught, and are important.

Had an awesome smooth lesson last night, awesome rhythm lesson today... My body hurts a lot right now, no complaints about that though. After lesson I went to the grocery store and I was limping around the isles I hurt so much!!

I am the most excited that, go figure, after a month of rhythm lesson, it might be possible that some day I might actually turn into a rhythm dancer!!

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
pro has an aversion to anything other than something very simple and basic for someone of my skill (or lack thereof) level...so we have never practiced it and probably never will...so I always have a moment of discomfort when it becomes neccessary

latingal

we have never practiced it and probably never will...so I always have a moment of discomfort when it becomes neccessary
We also keep it quite simple (and many times I will not spin out when others will - a simple elegant curtsey does well in it's place)....I don't have time in my lessons to even think of working on something that is a "nice to have" on the floor, I've got too many other pressing issues to address with the little time I have. Besides that - not spinning out actually lets me save some energy at the end of a dance and start recovering for the next one.

danceronice

To me, it indicates he is confident he can let go of my hand and not fall over. Never letting go screams "bronze" to me (ie the pro needs constant control, even when the dance is over.)

Plus spinning is never work. And I never care if he takes a few minutes to do something interesting instead of drilling to death. Usually we only spent a few minutes on any given figure per lesson, anyway.

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
lessons....wonderful to be back...worked some issues with quick open reverse in gold standard waltz...and some review of recent corrections to my double reverse....also spent a good deal of time going from hover corte to contracheck in terms of foot placement, fluidity, timing and size of step...also head position...note to self: keep right side closed

also worked hover cross and top spin in FT..... note to self.....step under your body and turn foot, stay forward...same on hover...other note stop snatching your leg back then waiting on slows

Purr

Lesson yesterday...all international waltz...improvement on double reverse..some improvement on flow...begrudgingly, on my part, I don't like the change for the improved flow because it doesn't feel so great for me...heavy sigh...may insist on tango for next lesson

danceronice

I just spent an hour and half realizing I have to look happier when I dance..... LOL! I mean, really? Just kill me now....
Do you normally have the 'thinking' face? I really have to work on that....my natural 'at-rest' expression isn't especially smilely to begin with, and I tend to look serious when I'm concentrating. If I'm laughing while dancing, it's generally that I screwed up and/or am frustrated by something, which is not how it's supposed to work!

Dance Ads