how are your lessons going? thread II

Wannabee

Working on a showcase routine. It's sort of a paso/tango hybrid. WAY out of my league with the choreography. But, it should give me lots of opportunity to push out of my comfort zone. If I can look 1/4 as good as my instructors when they dance it, it will be a great show number. But alas, my body doesn't want to shape correctly.... :confused:

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
well...(said with Estonian accent)... we braved the dreaded rumba drill today and everyone is still standing...some modest progress and some productive work on corrections that will make it even better...I am feeling modestly optimistic that I can make some positive progress here...spent an hour and a half on rumba and don't want to jump off a bridge...that is progress...second half of lessons was waltz in both styles (gold and open respectively)....feeling some optimism there as well...also blew the cobwebs off of tango and it was not as frightfully bad as I had feared, though clearly could use further attention...finished with quickstep, which is new choreo for me and I am looking forward to someday being able to do that well...pro was in lovable fuzzball mode (well, sort of :)) and so there was hard work with a limit to the the levity, but there was the capacity to keep it reasonably light...and, given my own capacity to stress myself out beyond productive levels, it was pretty much a perfect balance

Wannabee

I'm sure your singing voice is dynamite latingal! lol

Lessons for me have been good here lately, which usually signals the beginning of a rather long period of extreme frustration. But if I can manage to perservere through the bad lessons, I can sometimes see noticeable progress.

We are working on showcase routines. I'm doing 2 numbers in our upcoming spring showcase, so I've got my work cut out for me. I am sort of bronze/pre-silver level and with showcase numbers, we do a lot of gold and open steps. They are really fun and I enjoy them, but they are really difficult too. I try to be sure that the technique when I do these steps is solid, as I don't want to look like I have no business doing them. Hopefully I can manage a decent attempt at it. Either way, I'm looking forward to it.

JANATHOME

Lessons going very well here too..

With smooth pro have been working on greater movement and equally using all parts of my body as one unit, that, and expression which is finally becoming me, not forced, just me... I love when you find yourself on the top of the learning curve because it is usually brief, but when it comes to visit it is sooo nice!! Since my pro has gone independent I notice that he, although subtle, seems happier and I feel it coming through in our lessons.

Rhythm lessons, moving along good... After about 6 weeks with new pro, new style, I am now feeling comfortable with him so I can just be myself and no longer feel nervous about my lack of skill set or concern myself with asking something really stupid.... That and yippie, found a pair of rhythm shoes that don't hurt my feet!!!

debmc

Lessons are going well, though smooth feels so different. I can't remember or can't quite create the movement that will bring my feet together, so they default to the classic latin foot "V" position when I am doing smooth. Topline seems to be staying consistent, staying connected to pro... but my feet!!! Feels so different to do smooth when I am used to doing rhythm/latin.

cornutt

This week has been a washout. Monday: visiting coach couldn't make it because of weather. Tuesday: group class cancelled because instructor was ill. Today: snow.

Purr

Pretty much imploded during Tuesday' lesson...feeling I'm not getting any better and I never will...if I were I'd had done it already...have lesson scheduled this afternoon and not feeling great about it...what's the song by Carly Simon...It's too late...

JANATHOME

Debmc...
Purchased the Ray Rose Earthquake. Coming in a M+ size is perfect for my feet!
This week will do a back to back. 1.5 hours rhythm followed by 1.5 hours smooth.
Counting on my new shoes to get me through rhythm and feet still not hurt for smooth. Last time I did this my feet really protested after about 2.5!

SwayWithMe

Very mixed bag this week.

First lesson with DH was an absolute disaster, to the point that he decided to quit dancing. Thankfully he changed his mind after a good night's sleep. Our second lesson later in the week was good. Not amazing, but good.

My individual lessons were fantastic. New technique led to a quantum leap all through my dancing, and my choreography for the showcase in Feb is really fun!

latingal

Lessons yesterday, paso. Haven't done paso in ages so catching up with pros latest information is a good thing. The lesson gave me a different way to approach paso and from the comments of pro and some kindly on lookers, it adds the look of strength but increases the flexibility of the body.

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
so much to say...first of all, this whole continuation of hip thing in rumba runs completely counter to this whole snappier head thing (just sayin')...and yes, I know that there will be no sympathy for that...then, regarding this whole jive thing; since I am over my foot and do the choreo reasonably well slowly, can't we just slow it down a tad?...and about relaxing during waltz; if you want that, you are going to have to be someone else(KWIM? do you have any idea how intimidating this is?)...last, but definately not least, as regards FT styling*** and this probably goes for rumba too*** if you really want me to get my sexy on, you are going to have to look the other way, because I don't want to see you laugh....how in heaven's name am I going to fix that?

latingal

slast, but definately not least, as regards FT styling*** and this probably goes for rumba too*** if you really want me to get my sexy on, you are going to have to look the other way, because I don't want to see you laugh....how in heaven's name am I going to fix that?
That was quite a list fasc....but the last one I can definitely identify with....

Purr

oh man...i wouldn't go if I were you...whenever I get to that point it spells at least a two week break
and

So did you take the lesson Purr?
When I get to feeling that way I do the same as fasc and walk away for a few weeks, then get renewed...

I showed up at the studio for the lesson, but it never materialized. Pro was busy with studio administrative stuff that I ended up helping him with.

Dance Ads