how are your lessons going? thread II

I've had this feeling quite a lot lately. I'm just starting out with doing dancing more seriously (had my first competition just a few weeks ago :)) and I've been having lots of problems with finding and keeping the rhythm.

So I've had this when I finally realized how predictable dance music actually is. Or just the other day when I actually sat down and plotted the timing of my routines - it suddently all made so much more sense :).

latingal

Coaching was very good. Working on partnering skills and how the levels of activity and listening vary during lead/follow, and when to relax weight in to the floor while following. Works great in rumba, still trying to figure it out in the faster dances..... :eek:

danceronice

Gave NP a CD with twenty songs for possible showcases and told him he gets to narrow it down (I mean, not least because he has to choreograph and dance it with me.) Kind of happy that the likely winner is one of the six songs I pulled from the CDs I got of Frenchy and the Punk (they traded me their CDs for my jewelry when we had booths beside each other at TeslaCon--I think I got the better deal! I could have basically used all their stuff as options.) Called "Marionette", and it's more or less a Smooth VW. And it's nicely *weird.*

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
first lessons post comp ...and really wasn't feeling it, but since I am going to be out of town for a few weeks, I felt like I really needed to buck up and just do it...started out with ego in the toilet but was, quickly enough, challenged to the point of forgetting myself....and, next thing you know, learning occurred and some pleasure also followed it...as this juncture, a modest amount of pleasure was far more than was expected...so, off to bed soon and hoping for more of the same tomo

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
just to add detail...am beginning to have more more recurrent shin pain in both shins at beginning of lessons....had it in a debilitating way on standard day at the comp...so that is an issue...it always goes away eventually, but is an issue...

issues worked; some styling in RU and my backward walks needed a tweaking, also improved a segment of the gold routine
also, worked some styling in cha and tended to my unfortunate back locks (ahem, not through the heels in cha)

FT and W; balance points and using them for power, corrections to left whisk
QS...ahem.. re-familiarize self with footwork on second wall

Had a brief intro to Mambo . . . I've not danced anything, but standard . . . Ever. Pro was happy, I asked if we could foxtrot instead. I'm looking forward to the physical challenge of learning a new dance and the internal growth doing a rhythm dance will bring.

cornutt

just to add detail...am beginning to have more more recurrent shin pain in both shins at beginning of lessons....had it in a debilitating way on standard day at the comp...so that is an issue...it always goes away eventually, but is an issue...
I get that if I run a lot, but I don't recall you saying that you run... have you been doing high-impact aerobics or something like that?

cornutt

I teach fitness...so yes, lots of that
Ah. I guess that would do it. I used to run cross country in high school, but when I got into college, I started having terrible problems with shin splints, to the point where I quit running. Over the years I'd try again occasionally, with the same results. They used to have a yearly event at the airport here called the Runway Run, which is exactly what it sounds like: a race where you run down to the far end of the runway and back. I entered it once. Big mistake. I made it down to the end of the runway before the concrete surface got to me. I had to walk back the whole way... 11,000 feet. :eek:

latingal

Went through trouble spots in the new routines today and then ran said routines. I don't normally get to run full routines during my lessons since we are normally focused on technique, but it made me realize that I need to change my mindset from running routines is a "special event" to be anxious about, to running routines should be a regular thing that I can relax in to.....tough to do when you don't get to do it much, but I'll have to find a way.....

cornutt

Yes, that can be a problem. Before a comp, I always schedule at least one lesson with my instructor (or whoever I'm dancing with) where we run through routines nonstop, with a minimum of coaching.

FancyFeet

Yesterday's lesson was incredibly frustrating! I couldn't get to that place where I could let go of the analytical part of myself, and seemed to be dancing overtop of the music rather than through and with it. Add in a stressful couple of work days, not enough sleep the night before, new steps and choreography, and working in closed hold with proper posture for the first time (yay on that one!) and you get could-have-been-better :(

Oh well, I'll chalk it up to part of the learning process. It can't all be steady upward and forward progression right? On the bright side, I learned how many new things I can handle being thrown at me at once!

debmc

Lesson today was first post comp lesson. We looked at scoresheets and DVD, and focused on goals over the next two months before the next comp. Then we ran through the latin dances, covering and clarifying areas for improvement.

cornutt

Yesterday's lesson was incredibly frustrating! I couldn't get to that place where I could let go of the analytical part of myself, and seemed to be dancing overtop of the music rather than through and with it.
Welcome to DF, FancyFeet! I've had the experience, more than once, of walking into a lesson after work but not being able to leave work at the studio door. It happens. What you don't want to happen is for your lessons to start seeming to be as stressful an experience as your work is. If that starts happening, you need to tell your instructor to back off. Dancing should be something that helps you clear your mind and let go of the stresses of the day, not add to them.

mindputtee

Been taking lessons with a new pro, and they've been great. The sheer quantity of information is astounding, I hope my notes are good enough that in the coming weeks I'll be able to actually integrate what I've been told.

Dance Ads