how are your lessons going? thread II

stash

Mind blowing lesson about shaping. No one so far has been able to teach it well, or has just avoided the subject all together. I also have to figure out this listening to his upper body for my head leads... My feet have got it, my head not so much. Lol.

JudeMorrigan

My forays into smooth are proceeding nicely. I had an amusing moment in my lesson yesterday. My instructor (who dances smooth professionally and teaches at a studio that tends more towards the American styles) found herself explaining the mechanics of the foxtrot basic by relating it to a prep to feather. Immediately after making the comparison, she had to stop and comment on just how surreal it was to make it in that direction. I think it was a new experience for her. :D

NURDRMS

Yes, that can be a problem. Before a comp, I always schedule at least one lesson with my instructor (or whoever I'm dancing with) where we run through routines nonstop, with a minimum of coaching.
I had a coach tell me that the week prior to a comp you should do nothing but run rounds. The technique is what it is at that point. Very hard not to stop and 'fix' something, though.

debmc

Welcome to DF, FancyFeet! I've had the experience, more than once, of walking into a lesson after work but not being able to leave work at the studio door. It happens. What you don't want to happen is for your lessons to start seeming to be as stressful an experience as your work is. If that starts happening, you need to tell your instructor to back off. Dancing should be something that helps you clear your mind and let go of the stresses of the day, not add to them.
I have discovered that lessons on my days off are much better than lessons after a full work day. With that information I am easier on myself after a full workday, I recognize that I may not dance as well that day, and that's ok.

latingal

Infinitely grateful for pro. Head has been stuck in a negative feedback loop for the last week after a month of great practices. Couldn't get unstuck.

Lesson goal yesterday, dance and have fun while doing new routines at speed (ack!). Got unstuck for most of the lesson....and have a technique moratorium for a week. LOL!

danceronice

Once you bring in a choreographer a showcase is a WHOLE new ballgame. Especially when he knows nothing about you and just goes with what the song's giving him.

(This is going to be WEIRD. I mean, good, probably, assuming I can do this, but holy crap.)

Hello, I am a newbie to the ballroom world, but a former advanced dancer in other genres. It is SO much fun to dance with my pro. I am taking privates to learn the steps and terminology because the beginner classes were too slow and I am also taking group technique classes with the more advanced dancers. Only latin. Fun Fun Fun.

Got a lesson coming up this week, haven't seen our coach since the last comp - we're going to work on, "finding a direction for our dancing, and how to create a clear message." Eep. I have a feeling my brain will soon be overloaded.

latingal

Lessons today were good, worked on rumba; staying grounded when mishaps occur, lead/follow, and precise timing. Haven't worked on the details in rumba for months, was good to get some things nailed down.

Very happy with the last run through in the lesson. I felt solid and even managed to dance it with conviction....which might have been a first (or a second :D ) for me.

Will be rumba-ing in my dreams tonight....LOL!

FancyFeet

Today's lesson was so much fun! I just got home and I'm still all amped up from it... and as I live alone, DF gets to hear about it :)

We worked on cleaning up my waltz routine, then for a few minutes started to work on v. waltz - new to me, but after my 15 minute taste, I think I'm going to like it. To wrap up, we ran the waltz routine in the full ballroom. To my (happy) surprise, we had to modify and take out a step or two as we ran out of room!!!:eek: It felt fantastic to put all the pieces together.

The downside: this was the end of my introductory private lesson package. I can absolutely continue, but the price goes up :( Tomorrow's project: run the budget to see how many I can manage a month, while still paying my mortgage and, you know, afford to eat!

chomsky

I think I can now say after so many months that I have started my lessons again. So far, the way things were, nothing was certain. But now after half a year I am again back on track. It’s such a relief to be posting this at the best dance forum ever, the place where I know I can find friends that sympathesize!!!!!!!!!!

stash

Had 2 great lessons in the past two weeks. One with a pro that gave us a direction on shaping and sway, another with our regular coach who gave us our entire open quickstep routine and the beginning part of our tango :D gah so excited. Now to work on them.

Dance Ads