how are your lessons going? thread II

cornutt

Got some rib cage soreness today... it woke me up in the middle of the night. I'm not sure what caused it. It might have been doing repeated run-throughs during our showcase coaching, or the arm exercises we did in the spin and balance class.

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
right...plus I fell doing double spins so that is a new and exciting kind of pain...the other pain is just the run of the mill flaming balls of the feet and arches, and tendonitis...and garden variety of muscle fatigue

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
oh...and the usual fingertip shaped bruises that somehow always end up on my bi-cepts...which I refer to by my pro's last name, because they are tiny little reminders of him...i never feel them happening, but they magically appear on monday night and are always tiny little round fingertip shapes...:)...I am sure he has it worse

danceronice

well...whatever you do, enjoy it...or don't do it...I do love the Pfister
Oh, gorgeous hotel...Normally I'd give Michigan priority but pro's not able to do that one, and I admit, staying in a really nice hotel for Wisconsin would be a bonus. And it's mostly a choice of skip the solo and do Rhythm, or do the solo and do Smooth. Will all kind of depend on what the solo's status is.

And I have never had anyone leave bruises. At least, no one but me. And those are usually on my tailbone (nothing exciting, just have caught a hem on a heel while doing Viennese. Nothing he could do to save it...)

FancyFeet

Good lesson yesterday. Pro getting over the cold that seems to be sweeping the city meant no full run-throughs, but lots of time for technique tune up and questions... finally fixed the issue I've been having with the first step of weave from PP!

Today: sore, perhaps from the repetition and control stuff we were doing. On the plus side, I'm sore in muscles that tell me I wasn't cheating the technique!

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
rumba, not relaxed,not sensual, not good, technically not shabby, but not good

cha and paso; acceptable...some stuff to tweak

waltz; gold standard involved work on left whisk, feel grateful that there wasn't a great deal else that seemed to dismay him...and really enjoying the increased incidences of more interpretation to the timing and impromptu unscripted work...FTgold intl, apparently non-offensive...moved on to open smooth waltz and FT...finally made some connections about smooth connection that I never before grasped and, if I may say so, I think it is making a sizable improvement all around...switched to tango in intl and smooth and enjoyed more the the same spontaneity in intl and some in smooth plus the new sort of connection concept...in smooth vw as well...struggled at the end with some info on my head during pivots, but it was late and I think I will get it tomo...generally reasonably encouraged

cornutt

Zillions of things in smooth... apparently I need to really work on stretching and loosening my right shoulder. I'm really fighting muscle memory to not lift that shoulder when going into promenade or doing a pivot. Bring the hips with the foot. (And, for that matter, bring the foot...) Head left. Soften third step. We both need to keep the pelvis closed to each other more consistently. I noticed at some point that we aren't together on rise and fall, but we ran out of time before I got to ask about it.

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
lessons today...more of him actually going off script in standard....which I love, b/c I feel like it allows me to see if I can actually do the real thing, even if only for a bit...running with the big dogs a smidge...enjoying this...also seeing some softening in my dancing *(and the angels come down and sing gloria)*...we also juggled some things around to lead with what I do well and dropped some stuff that I happen to suck at ....annoying and galling as that is, I have to deal with realities...in latin today, there are some small signs of hope in the spiral department, not much else to crow about

Wannabee

Lessons have been frustrating the past couple of weeks. And for different reasons. One day it's like I completely forgot how to execute swing in the swing and sway dances. The next day I feel like a new born giraffe trying to keep my balance. One day I actually fell down. Granted I stepped on pro's foot doing this lunge type move in a showcase routine, and rather than put my full weight into my foot I tried to maneuver so that I wouldn't hurt him. In the process, my momentum carried me too far over my foot and I bit it. Landed on my knees so it could have been worse. But I had never fallen before so it was new and embarrassing.

I just wish I could get to a point where I feel like I'm making steady progress instead of one step forward and two steps back. Oh well. I'm going back for more tomorrow.

latingal

It happens Wannabee, more than we would like.

As for biting it....actually I have a nice up close and personal relationship between my backside and the floor. To date, I've I've ended up on the floor with all my partners except for my old smooth pro and my current latin pro, who has maintained his perfect record in a spectacular fashion by making some great saves....LOL!

So no need for embarrassment, it happens to the best of us....

debmc

I agree! 'Going for it' can sometimes lead to accidents...but better to go for it, than play it safe....especially in practice and lessons. I've seen top ProAm students fall.....and win their heat....it's all in how you recover...

Dance Ads