how are your lessons going? thread II

FancyFeet

also...why, when he is nowhere to be seen can I do most things...and, when he is in sight, NOTHING?...annoying
I'm having the opposite problem! During solo practice, something will trip me up fairly regularly, so I mention it at lesson hoping we can figure out what it is so I can fix it, then we try whatever it is - usually 3 or 4 times - and... nothing. It works fine in front of/with pro. Grr.

3wishes

Double Lesson, where Pro is breaking down every tiny item. SCREAM. yes, scream in my head.
Finally voice it - "if I haven't corrected that in 5 years of you telling me, every time!, you actually believe I will correct it".
Introduced to very very tall young man, Pro says "let's do round s - right out of the gate"
"oh by the way....you won't mind if he watches and gives input do you?" then he adds "he prepares alot of people for Blackpool"
oh sure.....why not just kill me now, no strength, no stamina, and let's dance rounds right out of the gate, no pressure....right? arrgggh let me crawl into hole now.

latingal

Coaching with coach who decided upon the same subject (with no outside input) as my last coaching with another coach. Guess the subject is definitely something that it is time to address.

Was good to have both coachings; one coach approached the subject from a detailed technical approach, yesterday's coach approached it from a holistic, feeling approach. I definitely have the information I need to make major strides in the area....next up, focus and discipline to make these changes that are out of my comfort zone!

Wannabee

Pro's shoulder was hurting yesterday, so we had to modify our lessons. No closed hold. We did quickstep in this sort of modified closed hold and oddly, it was good at pointing out places where I'm continuing to over-rotate. Pro had been compensating for me :eek:. I knew there were a few areas where he did that, but I didn't realize how many or how much over-rotation I was doing. So I guess it was a good thing.

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
latin...more trials and tribulations regarding double spirals, but at least I can even attempt them now....not horrible either..on to cha locks and samba voltas....also had some fun learning how to mix it up a bit...he really can be fun when he sets his mind to it ....:)

waltz was; lovely...FT was hit and miss....still happy girl...good space right now....

danceronice

NP was laughing at me. I knew about three seconds in he was leading Standard Waltz ("I just passed my foot...felt like I was supposed to...we should have reached twinkles by now...oh, crap") and I just gritted my teeth and did it. "Are you feeling all right?" "The less I argue the sooner we'll be done." The showcase, meanwhile, is starting to coalesce. We've cut the music, so we can work on refining the timing, and we have something resembling an ending now (I need to remember to hit the floor without using my hands....we'll get it.)

Wannabee

We have started getting serious about my learning quickstep. We have dabbled here and there in the past, but now it is a focused effort. Scattered chasses are uhm.... interesting. I must say I am looking forward to learning this dance.

latingal

Totally slower than slow motion work, very interesting since I haven't done that type of work for a year or so. Body seems to know pretty much what it's doing, but found some weaknesses in one section of opposition. Also gained a greater understanding of when to use weight, and why I use a "holding" tension in the muscle at times rather than a stretching/moving one.

stash

We have started getting serious about my learning quickstep. We have dabbled here and there in the past, but now it is a focused effort. Scattered chasses are uhm.... interesting. I must say I am looking forward to learning this dance.
Just be wary of the step hops that go with scatters... They can end in painful results... If you get what I mean :p

Dance Ads