how are your lessons going? thread II

mindputtee

Lesson was good despite my shoe breaking in the middle. Good thing I had my ballet slippers in my bag so I didn't have to dance in socks. Working on waiting for the guys lead and not rushing it once I get it, and finally- FINALLY- someone has explained the chasse from promenade in a way that makes sense. I've been struggling this figure for years now and never felt really satisfied with it. It'll take some work to untrain the bad habits, but it's definitely looking up. Have really been able to integrate the things I've learned in ballet lately as well which has been feeling amazing.

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
lessons 9-12 of this week...may be fatigue...may be that I finally have some comps on the horizon.... but my dancing was marginal...thankfully he was fairly tolerant

fingers-middle back-toes-fingers-middle back-toes... feel... relax... breathe... enjoy... expand... repeat til death or the rapture

Please explain "fingers-middle back-toes-fingers-middle back toes..." to a newbie. Thanks​

Purr

Awesome coaching yesterday with favorite coach's partner...best way to describe it is go as big as you can...coach seems to think I'm capable of a lot bigger movement and volume than I'm currently doing...coaching gave me lots to think about...

JANATHOME

Really interesting lesson.

I drive an hour to the studio I take lessons at. Well Pro found a small floor to practice with his partner who lives in the same town I do. So after his practice session we did a lesson, 10 minutes from my house... I have always done a commute and never thought much about it. I was amazed how different it was taking a lesson without the hour drive... I was so alert and ready and also found my retention after the lesson had improved.

Also being on the smaller floor was a benefit. I REALLY had to follow because I had no idea what was coming next. Was a good learning experience for me to realize how much I had in muscle memory what was coming next... Well LOL, the studio we normally dance at has a floor that is competition size so the floor was not that small, only small in relationship to our usual lessons.

Was great on so many levels!!

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
apparently the thought of competing has ruined my capacity to dance...and no one has faith sufficient to believe that I can overcome it...so...okay...two months of bliss followed by....apparently, nothing

latingal

apparently the thought of competing has ruined my capacity to dance
I can empathize, most the time I feel like 50% of my practice skill level shows up on the lesson and comp floor - truly disappointing. :(

....and I have faith in you fasc! You can and will overcome it! (does it help to know that I'm in the same boat?)

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
well thanks....that is very kind ....it would help except that I think it is something I have to believe and he has to believe...and I think that right now we are at 0 and 2....but, you have a long history of success and you will be great

latingal

I think it is something I have to believe and he has to believe...and I think that right now we are at 0 and 2....but, you have a long history of success and you will be great
Thank you fasc....and I know how important it is for your pro to believe that you can do it; it helps the student believe they can do it too.

Even with a history of success, I still struggle with belief in my own skills....it's a struggle I wage even today as I go in to my lessons this afternoon, and this year I am bound and determine to beat it.

I still believe you can beat it......

latingal

Speaking of lessons, it was rounds and review day. After awhile you get tired of hearing that you still have not gotten rid of various weaknesses you've tried to get rid of. :confused:

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
interesting lesson...long talk...which never...and I mean never happens......I say my stuff... and I have to own up to some personal shortcomings...and that wasn't so bad....and then there was better dancing which really is the whole point...not sure where this whole competition thing is going...but it looks a bit less bleak than yesterday

FancyFeet

Last night's lesson was good. New QS routine, as apparently the old one (learned 3 weeks ago) was "too easy" and didn't show off my "power" enough... since I'm roughly 2.5 hours (including last night) into learning QS, I'm considering this to be a good thing. A little more chatting than usual, which is normal for new choreo nights. Also hadn't had a lesson in 2 weeks, so more than usual to catch up on.

Will be back at it in a couple of hours, first time I've done lessons without at least couple of days to work on what we talked about before the next one - which means I'm about to find out how much things sink in for me simply by sleeping on them.

Also somehow got talked into doubling today's lesson, making it not only a make-up for pro cancelling on me last week, but also for him missing a lesson in a week or so while he's away at Blackpool... he's nicknamed today 'Ballroom Bootcamp'. Colour me slightly afraid...

cornutt

Sigh... tough time this week. All of a sudden, it seems like all of my dancing is being rebuilt from the ground up... someone tell me again why I am having to go through this? Bolero has gone from having a couple of minor hitches to being totally broken, and everything I try to fix it makes it worse. Movement is extremely heavy and I feel like I'm dragging a telephone pole around, standing up.

WCS has been drastically revised. Tap steps are totally gone; everything is triples. Having to be much more careful with movement and alignments, based on what I'm told judges are looking at these days. Several of my favorite steps have come out because they aren't syllabus at our level. Yeah, my footwork needed to be cleaned up some. But now I feel like I'm having to be ultra-careful and precise with everything, which to me kind of goes against the grain of what WCS is. Pretty much everything that I've ever done to put personality into the dance is gone. Yeah, I'm probably dancing more "correct" and precise. But I feel like a robot doing it.

Thursday we were going through some cha-cha during our lesson, and I asked to work on a spot turn combination step that I've been having problems with. We went through it a few times, and then at some point during one of the run-through, at one point I I chose to lead a free spin in place of an underarm turn. I don't recall why, but it seemed that on that particular time through, we were set up better for a free spin. Anyway, my DW raised my arm and led herself through an underarm turn, which knocked me off of my balance, and then she stopped and asked me what the heck I was doing. When I told her that I had tried to lead a free spin there, she said, "That's not the way the book says to do it!". And given the fact that we had just completed the syllabus purgatory that is WCS for me right now, that just really got under my skin. I bit my tongue, but I was a marionette for the rest of the lesson; I was basically allowing myself to be back-led. I kept thinking "She's going to do whatever step she's going to do". I was tired of fighting it.

latingal

As for me, totally confused....but choosing to ignore it right now. Too much going on to stop and wallow in that. Will figure it out later. Just going to have to go with what I've got right now!

FancyFeet

Survived bootcamp! (But was indeed bootcamp-like... worked my tail off did have to soak my tired, tired feet when I got home. A little stiff and sore this morning!)

Turned out to be lots of QS, and I'm loving that I got the new routine, with some new-to-me steps at Friday's lesson, and after working on it for an hour and change on Saturday, it's starting to look (and feel) really good! Piles of work still to do, but the footwork is clean and the musicality/expression is coming...

Also got some new exercises to do, a first wall for a foxtrot routine and ran waltz for a bit, with a couple corrections to practice applying.

The concluding comments from pro: 'really good work today. QS was your best dance today, but overall, really good job.' Yay me! Two solid lessons (well, three I guess) in a row, breaking my traditional up and down pattern!

Dance Ads