how are your lessons going? thread II

latingal

Last lessons with am partner and pro were awesome! Finally feeling some amount of freedom in my dancing. Incorporating momentum and body weight; controlling the balance in every step is no longer the goal nor in fact desired - which is highly amusing to me now that I've spent so many years developing it and honing it. Going out on the edge and hanging out there to generate speed and elasticity in the dancing.

Dancing with both partners has taken a big leap and I'm enjoying the heck out of it while I can!! LOL!

debmc

Theme in latin continues: I need to be solid on my own feet, grounded, balanced. In smooth Viennese waltz has become so much fun.... And before I learnt it, it seemed very intimidating. Doing reverse and natural turns around the floor with pro reminded me once again of how amazing it is to dance connected to a strong pro. That is the beauty of ProAm!

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
my lessons today were a combination of comp prep without comp stress...he was merciful in not noting the many issues he could have nagged me about..but I am okay with that at this juncture...there is a time for that...called most of the time...but right before a comp I am enough of a critic...so we reviewed all dances but we also worked many dances to music that had nothing to do with that dance and also to dances with varying tempo...and with work on lead and follow...which I love

dlliba10

Just got a new section of our waltz, with a (really freaking difficult) section in closed hold that is going to be AWESOME (once we get the footwork and dynamics down and practice the living bejeezus out of it). Plus a lot of really cool open work with telespins and duck turns. Super jazzed.

danceronice

In the dark. No, literally, the power was out. We were sort of using R.'s phone for music. At least hte windows are big enough we had plenty of light, but it was different!

middy

Got some more open standard tango routine, woot woot. Both fun and terrifying/confusing when my coach is playing around and leading me into who knows what. Apparently I make funny faces when this happens. And it's awesome when he makes a happy exclamatory noise while watching my partner and I dance something (though I have yet to learn how to distinguish happy noises and that-was-no-good noises).

I need to remember to wait and settle before taking off.

FancyFeet

I got to provide input into my QS choreo!

There's this one part in the routine that just wasn't feeling right. I can do it and it looks okay, but at Wednesday's lesson, I pointed out that I felt like we (pro and I) were losing the flow in that spot. I asked if there's something I should be doing there to make it better, and in response got 'yeah, you're right. I don't like how it feels either. Let's change it. What would you like to do instead?'

Gah, total shock - since when did I graduate to knowing enough to help build the routines? (P.S.: I totally don't.)

Also learned a new wall (well, 3/4 of one) in waltz, with some more so-not-bronze steps... beginning to suspect that the competition I've decided to work toward as my debut (in the fall) will not be done at debut levels... or we'll really have to tinker with the routine in the run-up...

Purr

Middle of lesson yesterday...pro asks what do you want to work on now...I reply I don't know...he says, ok, it's v. waltz...really??!! I have no opinion and you bring out the v. waltz...talked about dynamics of basics, right and left turn...also talked about holding my topline...mostly this have been a self-realization...it's not that I haven't received correct information, it's more me figuring out how to apply it...practice went ok...pro seemed happy with it...this dance motors a lot..anyway, it's all good...never thought I would say this in a million years, but this dance is kind of growing on me...lots of potential here

latingal

Rounds today. Was happy to be controlling my energy better and more efficiently, but having to focus on that of course takes me out of the dancing a bit. Noticed that my dancing needs to remain more compact, as I tire energy gets thrown about a bit too widely and my vertical axis takes a flying leap.

latingal

A learning by doing lesson, not much talk but a whole lot of opportunity to learn to focus energy much more efficiently when approaching exhaustion. Managed to do it quite nicely for a bit, hope my subconscious mind was paying attention....it was quite a lesson. Very happy with the work yesterday!

chomsky

never better!!!never better!!!very happy with my lesson yesterday...pure dancing and being in the moment. such an achievement for me, to manage and be in the moment. what a relief after such a long time of not being able to focus.I'm just happy at myself and at my choices and at the best teacher in the world...happy happy happy...for as long as this may last, I don't care. I managed to live the experience once again, that's all that counts!

FancyFeet

Pro is starting to freak me out about "the plan" that exists for me... today makes three times (two lessons and a random chat on the weekend) that we've spoken about it, and it seems alarmingly detailed... and includes input from his partner, who I take class but no lessons with. Happy and flattered (and scared) that there's a plan, I think.

On the plus side, cool moment in lesson today, during foxtrot. I asked what a figure in a new part of choreo was called, and got told "oh, I don't know. I saw a couple dance it at Blackpool, and I thought it would suit you." We dance it twice, and then he goes "I was right. It's your move." Dudes, I have a move!

On the negative side, my feet hurt. Big time.

regis

well, in my lesson this week ... let me preface be informing you that I am currently preparing for a showcase event this December. My instructor and I have had three practices preparing for it and we will be dancing to a medley of Tom Petty. The first song is a Rumba so my instructer is throwing some moves into the routine which are more advanced than I am (I am beginning Bronze III). So this practice she decided to teach the real step to me, tells me it is a Bronze IV step, and that learning the real step will help it look so much nicer in the routine. I was fascinated. It turns out to be such a nice move and putting more of the real technique into it makes it soooo much nicer. The problem portion for me is the few measures where all I really use to lead is the fingers on the left hand and then having to move that hand in a way so as to get the follow to give the desired results (fine when dancing with ladies who all ready know the figure) but they paired me with a lady who had not yet learned it to see if I could lead her (by this time another male teacher had joined us in the lesson). Of course I failed in getting her to go where I needed her to go, so the male instructor steps in and leads her through it just fine. It was amazing to me watching how he was able to do that with her. He made it seem so smooth and effortless and she followed right along - and, no, they had never danced that moved together. In a way that whole lesson put me in my place because I am constantly getting compliments on my dancing, and in another it opened up a whole new world to me and showed me how I can improve so much more, gave me something to aspire to!

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
yep...the more you know, the more you know that you don't know much..when I think back now about when I first wanted to start doing open smooth, I realize now that I was nowhere near where I thought I was

chomsky

well, in my lesson this week ... let me preface be informing you that I am currently preparing for a showcase event this December. My instructor and I have had three practices preparing for it and we will be dancing to a medley of Tom Petty. The first song is a Rumba so my instructer is throwing some moves into the routine which are more advanced than I am (I am beginning Bronze III). So this practice she decided to teach the real step to me, tells me it is a Bronze IV step, and that learning the real step will help it look so much nicer in the routine. I was fascinated. It turns out to be such a nice move and putting more of the real technique into it makes it soooo much nicer. The problem portion for me is the few measures where all I really use to lead is the fingers on the left hand and then having to move that hand in a way so as to get the follow to give the desired results (fine when dancing with ladies who all ready know the figure) but they paired me with a lady who had not yet learned it to see if I could lead her (by this time another male teacher had joined us in the lesson). Of course I failed in getting her to go where I needed her to go, so the male instructor steps in and leads her through it just fine. It was amazing to me watching how he was able to do that with her. He made it seem so smooth and effortless and she followed right along - and, no, they had never danced that moved together. In a way that whole lesson put me in my place because I am constantly getting compliments on my dancing, and in another it opened up a whole new world to me and showed me how I can improve so much more, gave me something to aspire to!
We all feel the same, don't we? Thanks for putting it into words, the very last bit, it's such a paradox but so true at the same time!

Dance Ads