how are your lessons going? thread II

Wannabee

We reviewed my comp video from this past weekend today. It was my first lesson back. Pro had some good things and some bad things to say about my dancing. Smooth is definitely my strongest discipline. We worked a little on cha cha and rumba. Then we started choreographing my quickstep routine. I'm so looking forward to this one!!

mmm. this is an interesting thread. May help to read it frequently to see that we're not all alone "out there" and that we all have similar problems from time to time.

Right now we're trying to overcome a bad year in international standard. We feel our dancing has not improved a single bit and the results have gone accordingly.

In latin not a very good year: our dancing seems to have improved but we got mixed results.

So this summer we're trying to work in a more sedate way, talking things a lot and rethinking all our learning and practicing process. I hope it helps because it sure is frustrating to dance 5/6 days a week and not achieving what we'd like.

Oh well, let's see how the season goes.

cornutt

Did spin and balance class in my socks. I do that sometimes because it helps me feel things that I'm doing with my feet better. Found a couple of places where I'm letting my foot roll onto the outside edge and it shouldn't be.

SwayWithMe

Thurs lesson with the pro I compete with was great. Fri lesson with studio owner / coach was dynamite. Today's lesson with Standard pro was awesome. This more than makes up for all the times I feel like I will *never* get what they're trying to teach me! :)

We did a ballroom show on Sunday and we faced it as a practice to see how things are going. The outcome was surprisingly good all things considering. I saw a couple of photos yesterday and - oh my - the big difference a nice and clear posture can make.

Can't wait to see if the videos confirm this first impression. However there's a lot of stuff still to be done and we start competition in mid-September, brrrr. We never seem to find enough hours for both std and latin. I wonder how you guys manage. Do you try to train both styles the same week? Do you split weeks or months? Just curious.

Did spin and balance class in my socks. I do that sometimes because it helps me feel things that I'm doing with my feet better. Found a couple of places where I'm letting my foot roll onto the outside edge and it shouldn't be.
you're not the one with that problem, I'm afraid.

Good idea to try that!

Purr

Lesson tonight, and lesson tomorrow afternoon...new tango routine and entrance to the foxtrot routine...tango routine seems to have everything but the kitchen sink in it....but wait...looking more closely....there's that kitchen sink...going to take lots of effort to make this work....ah, what else have I got to do on my lessons. ;)

Aura

I haven't posted on this thread in a while. I have a local competition coming up this Saturday that I'm very excited for, so most of my weekly lessons have been dedicated to that. After that, the focus will be on testing out, I believe.

mindputtee

Can't wait to see if the videos confirm this first impression. However there's a lot of stuff still to be done and we start competition in mid-September, brrrr. We never seem to find enough hours for both std and latin. I wonder how you guys manage. Do you try to train both styles the same week? Do you split weeks or months? Just curious.
My partner and I split our practices. I lose focus after a little while, and switching styles helps me get it back and lets us practice effectively for longer at one time.

JudeMorrigan

My partner and I generally split our practices between standard and latin for much the same reason that mindputtee says. That said, I'll add that we try to vary which style we start with, as whatever style we practice in second always seems to get at least a little bit of a short shrift. Of course, we seem to wind up starting with standard a disproportionate amount of the time. Likely because we're far more comfortable with it. Which means it really gets more attention. You see, I'm sure, the cycle that results.

Sania

I had a very nice coaching session last night. I believe the coach had a stronger background in anatomy than most of the instructors I've worked with, and she explained some postural things in ways that I had never heard before. I think they'll be quite helpful.
I love that type of lesson!

latingal

I can't wait for lessons in a couple of weeks. Competitive pressure is something I always try to resist, but having big comps on the horizon means lessons are very focused and have a sense of immediacy and utmost seriousness.

The lessons I love the best are centered on learning, discovery and stretching one's boundaries....I can't wait to have a big long stretch of those!

Great lessons today, for the second time in a row. I am finally starting to come out of a (very long) dance lull, feeling motivated and excited about dancing again. Turns out I have to have a goal, and it has to be challenging. Plus I have been missing rhythm, after switching to smooth...dancing it socially just isn't cutting it. Not because I want to compete in it so much as I just want to be able to consistently dance it at a high level...so, added rhythm back in, still focusing mostly in smooth, and checking the calendar for the next available comp all = yep, you guessed it, nine dance it is. This will be new, and definitely challenging. Still trying to get my smooth halfway to where my rhythm left off, and now after a long many-month break, my rhythm feels better than ever. Wish that worked for smooth! Now the challenge is splitting time between both, and being able to seamlessly switch between styles...but hey, I wanted a challenge!

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
last pre comp lessons...rhythm amd latiin went fine...was too tired an sore to do anything but hobble through the smooth and standard...he was tolerant...but well, not amused

Dance Ads