how are your lessons going? thread II

FancyFeet

Had the beginnings of a much needed conversation with pro about goals, and what's possible, and making a plan further out than a few months last night. I had planned to hold the chat until after his run of competitions and my upcoming one... but apparently I just couldn't wait that long. It's really been on my mind, and I needed to get it out of the way.

After that chat, following two rather dramatic/exhausting days (the stress level is HIGH at the studio right now), on next to no warm-up given a studio situation and considering my level of distraction/frustration/irritation/stress last night the dancing was... rather shockingly good!

middy

Working on the usual hip swing and shaping, cause contrary to popular belief, you use your hips a LOT in standard. And making myself wait for the lead instead of just going. Fixing a bunch of quickstep issues and hopefully it'll all stick!

dancelvr

First lesson in three weeks. (DP has been out of town on my days off for training and competition with his professional partner) Wow...did I ever feel rusty. *sigh* And, here is the dilemma, brought to the forefront by some thing DP said to me today.

I've had more than one person ask me why I'm not doing Latin anymore. To be honest, I only switched to Latin for a short time about 2 years ago due to tendonitis in my knee which made Standard more painful than I could stand. However, I had more success at comps dancing Latin than I ever had dancing Standard. I'm struggling with Standard, but it's my passion, and why I started dancing in the first place. I enjoy Latin very much, but can't afford to train and compete in two styles. Argh. I'm starting to rethink things just a bit at this point.

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
First lesson in three weeks. (DP has been out of town on my days off for training and competition with his professional partner) Wow...did I ever feel rusty. *sigh* And, here is the dilemma, brought to the forefront by some thing DP said to me today.

I've had more than one person ask me why I'm not doing Latin anymore. To be honest, I only switched to Latin for a short time about 2 years ago due to tendonitis in my knee which made Standard more painful than I could stand. However, I had more success at comps dancing Latin than I ever had dancing Standard. I'm struggling with Standard, but it's my passion, and why I started dancing in the first place. I enjoy Latin very much, but can't afford to train and compete in two styles. Argh. I'm starting to rethink things just a bit at this point.
sounds like it is about what you love versus how you mark....

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
well, here's the thing...it may be as simple as that....or it may not...I don't know her situation...the other considerations that I would have are; is there a genuine physical issue that makes competing in standard no longer advisable?...if so, maybe you enjoy standard lessons and simply work more on improving technically in ways that are not related to any limitation...and compete in latin if you feel you must compete...if there is no significant limitation effecting standard but progress seems to be slowing, maybe you get some outside coaching on the areas most in need of improvement... maybe, the field in standard happens to be stronger in your area than the field in latin?.....many things to consider there ...and to consider in terms of why you compete and why you take lessons in addition to why the latin is marking better...good luck in assessing it

dancelvr

well, here's the thing...it may be as simple as that....or it may not...I don't know her situation...the other considerations that I would have are; is there a genuine physical issue that makes competing in standard no longer advisable?...if so, maybe you enjoy standard lessons and simply work more on improving technically in ways that are not related to any limitation...and compete in latin if you feel you must compete...if there is no significant limitation effecting standard but progress seems to be slowing, maybe you get some outside coaching on the areas most in need of improvement... maybe, the field in standard happens to be stronger in your area than the field in latin?.....many things to consider there ...and to consider in terms of why you compete and why you take lessons in addition to why the latin is marking better...good luck in assessing it
Lots of things to consider here, Fasc. Thanks! :)

There is a knee issue (chronic tendonitis). I've been nursing this thing along for years. When it was at its worst, I switched to Latin during a period of treatments at the request of my doctor, so I wouldn't keep damaging the tendon. And, I learned to LOVE it. Oddly enough, Latin doesn't bother the knee at all. Pfft.....go figure! I currently wear a patella band whenever I dance, and try to warm up completely before we dance full out.

As far as competing goes, I'm not one of those people who always has to win to be happy. I use competitions as sort of a barometer of my progress and a means of setting goals for myself. Besides....comps are sparkly and fun! The shocker to me was that, after nailing down some basic technique, my progress in Latin was so much quicker than in Standard, both on and off the competition floor. I don't know why.

I'm going to seriously consider some coaching, as I'm feeling...a bit unsettled in my dancing lately. A fresh perspective may be what is called for here.

At the very least, if my knee blows out again, I have Latin on which to fall back, and this would not be the end of dancing for me.

Ok.....time to shake off the rusty lesson yesterday, and soldier on. :)

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
latin, except occasionally samba, and separation in paso, does not bother my tendonitis either...only bending deeply into the knee...fortunately I have had much less problem with it in my standard as long as I am warm before I dance...and I attribute a lot of that to a change in technical emphasis...I think getting fresh perspective is almost always a good thing..I have even taken outside coaching alone and found it helpful

JANATHOME

Smiled all the way home driving home from lesson! Very happy with new standard pro.
Gold foxtrot tonight and it is coming along great. We decided to do first comp( small comp) in November and quite excited about it all!

chomsky

i've been getting whoas too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!it's so nice when you are taking lessons!!!!!!!!!!!!!and it's so nice when you're happy at yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wannabee

Lessons have been just ok lately. I have a comp coming up end of Oct. It is a smaller, local comp, not NDCA, and so we decided to debut my silver smooth and rhythm. I have worked on silver in my lessons for the past year or so but have never done silver on the comp floor. I'm super excited at the prospect of finally doing some silver "in public", but I will admit to feeling a bit overwhelmed with learning 9 new routines by the end of Oct.

Pro and I have decided that if I really feel under prepared that the first dance to go will be Bolero (in which case I would just dance my bronze routine in silver category). This made me feel a little better.

I actually LOVE the detailed work that has been going into my lessons as I learn these new routines. But we can easily (and do) spend an entire lesson on one dance. I'm thrilled with the progress on that particular dance, but I can't help but feel like I have eight others that need equal attention.

How should one proceed?

Wannabee

discuss the concern with your pro
I have and I do. It was more rhetorical, though I do appreciate the advice. He listens to me and comes up with a plan of attack that on the surface satisfies me. The problem is one of us will get wrapped up in technical aspects of this or that and before we know it, 15 minutes of foxtrot turned into 40.

I'm getting more comfortable with the routines, but I just wish I had another few months lol

raindance

One approach for lessons I have seen is to do rounds first, then start working on things. Then at least all the dances for that style got danced once during that lesson, regardless of where the focus goes for the remaining lesson time. And both you and pro would get a chance to see/feel how all the dances are going, which could be a good thing with newer routines.

Dance Ads