how are your lessons going? thread II

Purr

Lessons last week were good...did run-throughs of 4 am. smooth routines...tango went really well...did 2 back-to back run-throughs that pro said were the best I'd ever done...foxtrot seems to be holding steady...not really sure why other than I have a better understanding of my parts of the routines...and making an effort for more engaged hip/leg/ankle usage...can't really explain it other than saying I'm dancing a lot lower these days...looking forward to seeing favorite coach in a couple of weeks

latingal

Yesterday's lessons were awesome! I wanted to discuss and work on the way I was dancing in the partnership. It was time to stop being careful and correct and instead try to dance "to the edge" with my pro as my partner.

It was an interesting couple of lessons, my pro was able to expand my understanding of what I needed to be trying to achieve to "just dance" with him. I was only thinking of body weight and commitment in "dancing to the edge"; it turns out there was more to it then I thought. We ended up talking about and working on how, in being externally aware to the lead, you need to be more internally focused on your own body. The more I focused on maximizing my oppositions and body action, the more aware I was of his body and leads.

There have been so many instances in my learning that what it seems like is the exact opposite of what it is. LOL - I thought I needed to be more active with my energy toward my partner, and it turned out I needed to be more active with my energy within myself.

Lessons were going so well...and then I got laid off unexpectedly. So no more lessons after what I've already paid for is up! It's depressing, I'm missing the competition coming up soon as well. This is such a bummer.

aw, thanks for the sympathy. I realize now that my post was a rather blatant post for sympathy, but it's still nice to have some come in. At least I got to do my quickstep showcase! Hopefully something new will come my way soon.

latingal

The good thing about lessons today, verified that almost all of the conclusions I drew from a recent coaching are correct. Couldn't quite make all the connections as to what was causing what though. Figured it all out with pro and then decided what to apply to my dancing and what was good information, but was not going to work in accomplishing the dancing I want to show.

Not much dancing going on, but a whole lot of talking and understanding.....

Wannabee

Now that the mad few month rush of comp, then another comp at a different level with new routines, then showcase is all over, I am enjoying my lessons again! lol. Pro and I had a discussion about what we (I) want to accomplish these next few months and how best to go about accomplishing said things. Smooth, rhythm, and one latin rumba to work on, just for fun. Overall, lessons are going well right now. Won't be long before it feels like work again, but I'm enjoying the easy-going feel to my lessons right now.

Been working with a different teacher recently... they basically vetoed half of my waltz routine last night as un-necessary... stating, "are you dancing in a show, or a competition?" Then do you ever have those moments when your teacher mimics you? ...Shows their perception of how you look (but exaggerates it of course)? :oops: Sort of irritatingly effective... ;)

debmc

Now that the mad few month rush of comp, then another comp at a different level with new routines, then showcase is all over, I am enjoying my lessons again! lol. Pro and I had a discussion about what we (I) want to accomplish these next few months and how best to go about accomplishing said things. Smooth, rhythm, and one latin rumba to work on, just for fun. Overall, lessons are going well right now. Won't be long before it feels like work again, but I'm enjoying the easy-going feel to my lessons right now.
Yep... It is nice to have 'no upcoming comp' lessons. We have touched on a little of everything....last lesson we even did a little rhythm, and bits of open work.

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
me: I dreamt of you
himself: raised eyebrows
me:yep...I was running away from you screaming "it's never enough, nothing is ever good enough for you, I can never please you"
him; happiness, twinkle in eye
me: just thought you should know that at least one woman is in fact dreaming about you
him: continued satisfaction

him; why do you talk to yourself so much on lessons?
me; would you rather I spoke to you?

(end of conversation)

that pretty much sums it up :)

FancyFeet

Mine went more like:

Mid lesson, dance new short wall # 2 of waltz, learned just before pro went away for 2 weeks. We were working on adding styling to it for the first time.

Him: pause. "Ok. Do it again, and make it... not terrible this time, ok?"

Me: look at him blankly for a minute, then start to laugh. "Way to motivate there, slave driver."

Him: starts to laugh, then starts backpedalling with "no, I mean it was good, but it can always be better, so let's make it better."

We pull ourselves together, and after a few times with an "ok, but more" response, I fnally get a simple "that was beautiful".

Overall, it was a good lesson, and I'm happy he's back.

Last edited:

FancyFeet

I'm sorry that's on your list - I find it supremely motivating... mostly because I chase hearing it or something like it :) Does sound like you had some fun this week, though!

And I don't think I could put together an "unlikely to be said" top ten. Some odd, random stuff gets said in my lessons.

Dance Ads