how are your lessons going? thread II

debmc

Lessons are focusing more on smooth as that will be my style at next comp. This is my second time competing in smooth. My first time, I had no idea how little I knew, so it was fun and I enjoyed it and placed well. This time I am very aware of how little I know and I am abit nervous.

sbrnsmith

Lessons going really well. Eleven hours scheduled this week! Felt energized and did everything my instructor asked of me to the point where he asked why I was so happy. I told him I love dancing, he's an awesome partner and I am so lucky I get to dance and have the time and resources to devote to it. This put him in a really good mood which is good for all the people that came after me, as he had a full day of lessons ahead of him.

debmc

Lessons going really well. Eleven hours scheduled this week! Felt energized and did everything my instructor asked of me to the point where he asked why I was so happy. I told him I love dancing, he's an awesome partner and I am so lucky I get to dance and have the time and resources to devote to it. This put him in a really good mood which is good for all the people that came after me, as he had a full day of lessons ahead of him.
Eleven lessons in a week! Wow! How many styles do you dance?

sbrnsmith

Eleven lessons in a week! Wow! How many styles do you dance?
I dance 3 styles. This is my week off and I took advantage and scheduled as many as I think I can handle. I am also doing my workouts/training with my trainer. Next week when I am working, I will have no time to do anything. Also, my teacher is out of town for the following week, so will have 2 weeks with no dance :(

Wannabee

Double lesson tonight, then going with pro on a little road trip for a coaching lesson on Sat. This will be my first coaching lesson with a pro outside of our little studio. I'm nervous but my instructor seems to think I will benefit greatly from the session. Fingers crossed.

latingal

Rude awakening from my technique break....LOL! Unannounced round and then proceeded to tear into cha-cha like I was a first year student. Hug at the end was nice though.....

New samba routine (also first open samba routine)!!! So far manageable, but the goal is a full length routine in three 45-minute lessons, so we'll see if it stays that way.

Our coach decided that since we're short we're doing a ton of direction changed and few, if any, held poses. Not quite in my wheelhouse so it looks like I'm on another development journey for the foreseeable future.

danceronice

We've decided the showcase will just not be ready by Indiana. But that leaves more room to focus on seeing how I handle competing Silver for the first time. Will be doing full bronze and the bronze scholarship, and pre-silver and the silver multidance. I fully anticipate getting my butt kicked in Silver, but at least it makes bronze feel easier. Now if I can just get over everything aching from the cold weather...

JANATHOME

Final touches made to changes to gold international foxtrot routine to flow better on comp floor...I could not be happier with the "new and improved".

Now if only I can get past the mental block of the running finish in the QS.

FancyFeet

Had one of those "I suck, and can't dance" sort of lessons last night.

I arrived frozen from the super-awesome weather, and not as early as I would have liked, meaning I started out not totally warmed-up, and it took me a while to get there. First 10 minutes or so, legs were stiff, transitions were rough, and I just wasn't working through the floor as much as usual.

Pro is still in super-focused pre-comp mode. I got a LOT of fix-this, fix-that last night. The constant stream of rapid-fire corrections for an hour had me in a bit of a funk by the end. Oh, and the blaring music from another lesson that gave me a headache didn't help. Confidence was pretty low by the end. Pro may have suspected I was a bit off as the lesson concluded with multiple hugs, which is atypical.

This morning, I am feeling moderately better. Lessons have been really good lately, so I was due for a bad one... and I know I can dance. I had a bit off an off night, and pro was in a mood is all. Really just wish pro and I could get on the same comp-prep timeline though. I'm about a week away from shifing to run-throughs and polishing up only as I feel the heavy work should be done, and he seems to be just upping the intensity now. Something to table at a future discussion, I think.

Wannabee

That's funny because my lesson was underwhelming last night as well, and my pro was also in a mood. Though probably less so than I. I felt like I could have bitten everyone's head off and spit it back out. I'm feeling better today, to my husband's great relief.

Dance Ads