how are your lessons going? thread II

Janson

Learning Reverse Wave section in Foxtrot - never really got it before, and still not entirely sure what's going on. Although my general foxtrot is streets ahead of what it used to be.

Purr

I had a lesson yesterday afternoon...lesson a little all over the place for me...but something happened in the rumba...while I knew it's supposed to be danced on a bent leg, I didn't give it that much more thought, and it didn't hit home until yesterday...I made an adjustment which is a carryover from changes in other style...effect was immediate...felt more stable, better movement, and felt a few times like I was dancing into the ground...while I wouldn't say what I was doing was technically correct - don't really know that yet - it is an opportunity to strike out in a different direction and make the most of what I can do...rhythm isn't my strongest style, but was nice to see there still make be more room for improvement than I previously thought.

3wishes

I gave up my lessons, coaching, etc., to fix the built in pool.
I gave up my lessons for #2 Grandson to continue dancing, when he voiced,,,in the car,,,without warning,,,,"Nana, I really like dancing - it's way fun with all my friends at the studio...I don't want to stop...I would be really sad".
Tug at heartstrings....sniff sniff.

flightco

Now trying to learn bolero. I know a lot of you love it but OMG, Waltz, Rumba and Tango in a blender, at least it is on the slow setting. Really having a difficult time just getting the feel for it. Doesn't help that I don't know any smooth dances.

Sania

Spent most of the lesson on various ways to make cha cha quicker...also talked how to make vertical lines more pronounced and how to articulate the body separate from feet in cha cha without losing the percussive (ties in pretty directly to making it quicker)
Sounds awesome - would have loved to be the fly on the wall!

Just did open quickstep to full speed music...definitely didn't think I had *that* in me!!!

Also getting cha cha drills up to full speed and starting to hammer out an open routine for cha...fun stuff all around.

Wannabee

Due to family obligations, I cannot attend the comp I was planning to go to at the end of March. I was sad and bummed, and honestly, a little at a loss as to what to do with myself during lessons now. So my pro stepped up and gave me plenty to focus on instead of the comp prep, including some opportunities in place of the comp. Back to happy!

middy

Worked on right side connection, approaching line figures with some more abandon - whoosh, then stretch, rather than grow slowly and steadily. Also, subdividing tango into 1-2 counts helps with intensity and sharpness.

FancyFeet

This week's lesson was the second since comp, and we are at the "make routines" part of the process again.

Changes to waltz and FT last night to up the difficulty and make them show better (yay, bounce fallaway, throwaway oversway and multiple sucessive spins). Brand new QS routine - well, the first two walls anyway- hugely more dynamic than the old one (jumps, hops, scatter chassés and double locks).

Tons of work to do, but at first blush, I like these routines, and they look awesome. T-4 months to the next competition, and starting to feel motivated again.

And funny moment:
Near the start of my lesson, and the ballroom is pretty empty - maybe a lesson and one or two people practicing. Pro demontrates one QS option for me (full 4 walls) - dancing his part though, not mine. I spend the time standing in the middle of the floor, watching. He comes back, we chat for a minute, I apparently at some point shake my head and point to a spot in the room. He nods, and goes to demonstrate a different QS routine variation. I stand in the middle, watching, until he finishes. I then apparently nod approvingly when he looks at me upon completion. Pro's partner and an advanced student bust out laughing from their spots in the room. Pro's partner found the apparent complete role reversal hilarious. I completely didn't realize what it must have looked like until she told me about it later!

This week's lesson was the second since comp, and we are at the "make routines" part of the process again.

Changes to waltz and FT last night to up the difficulty and make them show better (yay, bounce fallaway, throwaway oversway and multiple sucessive spins). Brand new QS routine - well, the first two walls anyway- hugely more dynamic than the old one (jumps, hops, scatter chassés and double locks).

Tons of work to do, but at first blush, I like these routines, and they look awesome. T-4 months to the next competition, and starting to feel motivated again.

And funny moment:
Near the start of my lesson, and the ballroom is pretty empty - maybe a lesson and one or two people practicing. Pro demontrates one QS option for me (full 4 walls) - dancing his part though, not mine. I spend the time standing in the middle of the floor, watching. He comes back, we chat for a minute, I apparently at some point shake my head and point to a spot in the room. He nods, and goes to demonstrate a different QS routine variation. I stand in the middle, watching, until he finishes. I then apparently nod approvingly when he looks at me upon completion. Pro's partner and an advanced student bust out laughing from their spots in the room. Pro's partner found the apparent complete role reversal hilarious. I completely didn't realize what it must have looked like until she told me about it later!
That is bloody brilliant!

I started smooth this week!!!! Learned a ton of technique pointers, talked a bit about integrating arms into what the body is doing, and started to clarify CBM. I can carry some of the stuff over to standard, which is awesome because I'll probably become a 14-dancer in the not so distant future (with three different amateur partners...yay logistics!!!)

Latin lesson was equally amazing!!! Our coach was in rare form tonight and did an awesome job transforming the rough sketch we brought him into something with real pizazz.

OK. So i just switched Latin Partners and now i'm dancing with my GF/Standard Partner. She wants to be a 10 dancer. I've been dancing Latin for about 3 years now, but my GF has little to no experience in Latin so its been really frustrating. especially since she can't COUNT BEATS! It's so frustrating! I ask her what she does in Standard and she says she just follow me, but Latin she can't keep time at all! Anyone have any advice? Maybe a good trick to learning how to count music?

RiseNFall

I have the same issue. I spend A LOT of time listening to music, finding the beat, having other people check for me that I'm doing it correctly. Sometimes I have to listen to the same song repeatedly for the layers to separate for me and for me to hear the beat. If I'm having a lot of problems with a song, I have been known to check the sheet music to see what's going on. I am getting better, slowly. Sometimes my teacher has me count him in on a dance, sometimes he counts it for me for a bit to help me hear it.

It IS learnable, but will time, commitment on her part and patience from anybody helping her. I feel like an idiot sometimes, but continue to work on it because it's important to me. And I'm stubborn and don't give up easily.

Dance Ads