how are your lessons going? thread II

Purr

Had lessons Thursday and Friday...reasonably ok with where I am in smooth 3 weeks out from an event...the answer to everything smooth seems to be dance more into the floor (or lower, or use your knees more, it's all variations of more or less the same theme)...

Did a little rhythm for fun to finish lessons...loved rumba...partnering with pro was really nice...joy to dance, which isn't something I say lightly...also trying different technique things with dance...really danced on a bent knee...can't say this was all correct, but with partnering and quality of movement, I'm going to say this was a win...

Fixed my check and dev in smooth!!!!! Been doing the step 100% wrong for years, so glad I finally have a smooth coach to fix things!! Also now have a long and a short wall of smooth waltz, or something thereabouts. Not sure where I'm even going with my smooth, but I'm loving the journey!

danceronice

Apparently I really want to be the Cyd Charisse character. We're working on a showcase (to Mike Weatherly's "Bitter and Blue" from the NCIS soundtrack) and he's really letting me be creative and have concept input (I'm sure we'll offend the purists with things like broken-legged and weirdly turned in/out poses AND the outre with distressingly classical slow fox) and I've realized that I just function better if I don't think about throwaway/tumble turn/inside lunge are not exactly bronze. Also it's odd how much easier it all is when I wear Latin shoes...

cornutt

Full-of-scary-gold-stuff waltz routine is actually kind of together. There are only a few parts that still feel like we're hanging on to the edge of the cliff by our fingernails.

Purr

Lesson yesterday evening...ran through 3 smooth routines in preparation for upcoming event...had been experiencing pre event jitters prior to lesson but seem to be ok now, hopefully it's passed...practice went ok...the answer to most everything remains lower down and use your legs more...if that's not the answer then it's stretch/shape something or draw out/differentiate the timing more is...received random comment from another student leaving...you looked good out there...uhmmmm, thank you...me thinking that's out of nowhere, I sure don't feel like an elegant dancer

One side effect of dancing, and working out at the gym, is I'm developing some interesting muscles in my legs.

Purr

Learning is a process, and it takes time.

Yesterday during my lesson I had a conversation with pro about the introduction to waltz routine. I said we're doing this to start currently, which isn't what the coach gave us. Pro said I was trying to make it simplier for you, because it (movement) looks a little forced. I said I don't want to make it easier, because I'm never going to get any better otherwise. Pro said ok.

I don't really care how stupid I might look, I'll get there in the end, and at least I tried. It's one of those things I wished I was more elegant and refined, but I'm not there yet.

FancyFeet

Frustrating lesson this week. I was cranky and out of sorts a bit at the beginning, and definitely by the end.

Finished choreo for tango and quickstep... not loving one of the tango walls so far, but maybe it will come.

Discussions with pro about:
- whether the new tango long wall needed another figure (Him: maybe, yes. Me: No. We're just stepping through it right now. Add a figure and dance it full out, and we'll be out of space.)
- more changes to tango hold to try and find a comfortable and strong connection. The new thought is that the issue is in my right wrist angle, not the arm/shoulder/back use, and in the height of his right hand.
- why I couldn't seem to run QS from start to finish. Um... I learned two of the walls about 10 minutes ago, don't totally have the ones from 2 weeks ago down (and we just made a couple changes to them), and I have new figures learned oh, today, that I am trying to do. Give me a week or two, will you? Or at least a day of practice? Sheesh.

dancelvr

Had second Latin lesson yesterday. We haven't touched Latin for three years. Oy. I'm excruciatingly rusty. But, we are rebuilding the basics, and I am enjoying the change.

Dance Ads