how are your lessons going? thread II

Possible, but also possible/likely that you just don't see their efforts to extract money from the other students, and/or they've had enough discussions with those other students that they know to apply less pressure or how to optimize their efforts.
So I guess teachers don't like their students...it's like any other business...it's all about the money.

IndyLady

So I guess teachers don't like their students...it's like any other business...it's all about the money.
I'm not sure how you gleaned that from my reply, but those two things are not mutually exclusive. Teachers can like their students and studios still want to maximize profits.

On topic:
- One more lesson with each instructor before Showcase. I think I'm as ready as I can be at this point, but will probably fubar some things anyways because that is how it always goes.
- Prepping for January comp with other instructor. No idea how we are going to learn/practice all we need to know before then. But I always feel invigorated after his lessons - I really appreciate the physical exertion - feels productive.

RiseNFall

I have finally gotten smart(er) about preparing for a competition. I'm trying to show up at the last sets of lessons as warmed up as I would be if I were stepping onto the competition floor. It's not that easy to do because I need a fair amount of warm up and life (including traffic) tried hard to to interfere today. But I liked the result quite a bit. Pro and I were both pleased, both with the pretend we're at a comp part and the lesson part. At one point during the "pretend we're at a comp" part, we had stepped off of the floor while a song we didn't want to dance to played and he asked if he could talk to me or if he was supposed to be out of the floor with somebody else. :rofl: I said he could talk to me. When he wanted to demo something, he said, "It's OK, there's some general dancing going on at the moment." :rolleyes:

FancyFeet

Think pro may have noticed the girl in the mirror too... he's been super nitpicky all week.

For example: in the last 2-3 minutes of my first lesson this week, he showed me a change that he wanted to make in tango. I was confused, and made him demo it a couple of times. The next day - when I have logged exactly 0 practice minutes - he want to work on it. We do it, to music - having never tried it before - and in my head I'm all 'yes! Figured it out! Did the right steps, with the right timing, and managed to commit and throw myself sideways and no one died or fell over!'. Pro's response: "NO! Head to the right. (annoyed tone>) I told you this yesterday." My response was a silent stare, raised eyebrow, and turn away to walk back to the start position. (He may have gotten the message at that point, because he backed off a little.)

On the upside, he has sought me out after both lessons to state that he's "really pleased" and that "we did some really good work"/"made some really good progress", etc. It's making me want to kill him a little less, but still not really in the mood to be pushed super hard right now.

Oh, and he wants to start rounds (maybe just 3 dances to start) next week for "conditioning". I have no comp on the horizon... am in a technical fixes phase, and haven't even been running full dances in practice. Cardio is happening in the gym right now, and have zero concerns about my level of conditioning given where I am in my prep. When exactly did I become his practice partner?

RiseNFall

Last comp that I'll be doing this year is next weekend, and Pro just substantially moved the goal post on my dancing. Not because he has a bad sense of humor, but because I was ready to learn a couple of things. And I asked to work on some of it. :hilarious: It'll be interesting to see what happens in my lessons next week and to what extent he tries to incorporate it at the comp. Some of it is just me dancing better and I can hope it will at least begin to show up; some is a matter of how he chooses to lead. In an act of remarkable intelligence, he varied his lead on the move in question during today's lesson. Me, confused: uh, did I screw up or did I do what you led? (I had done what he led.) We also discussed competitions for next year and some dancing goals. To be continued, but I gave told him my approximate budget for the year for competitions--for the entry fees and his charges--and told him he could choose; his first choice was Hawaii Star Ball. We're on the east coast. :rolleyes:

I'm doing line dancing routine and I saw a video of myself rehearsing. I don't like the way my body looks. The more I watch myself dance, the more I wonder why I'm doing this. Why can't I have the great body types like the instructors at my dance school?

Even though I'm in the best shape of my life and I'm the healthiest I've ever been.

Had a frustrating session today with my partner, we weren’t happy with our results at our last comp and so have been trying to fix the issues we saw and there were some improvements but we also ended up getting short and annoyed with each other. Called the practise off earlier than normal so that we would still be friends!

scullystwin42

first rhythm lesson in a while due to the smooth-only comp last week and vacation. worked the kinks out of a couple of spots in bolero and cha cha. since rhythm pro was able to watch most of my smooth heats, he had some good feedback on the competition and things i need to work on in both styles. 1. turn quality 2. partially broken lines in checks 3. more contrast! I've added a lot more contrast over the last year, but need to add more. Looking back on the year, my best comp in rhythm was the one with the most/highest level of competition for me - WI state. I've heard it said you get better when you compete against the best -so I wish I could do more of those comps, but not enough people from my studio go to make it financially feasible. post-comp smooth lesson tonight!

good post-comp smooth lessons. working on even more movement and shaping through the upper body. rhythm double lesson last night was very interesting. reviewing concepts that we have reviewed before, but they made more sense this time. working on pushing through the floor to control movement, and how you focus on pushing the floor away with the standing leg, instead of focusing on the landing leg. if that makes sense lol.

RiseNFall

Nice lessons this week with New Guy (who has now been there for a couple of years, so I need to think of some other way of referring to him). I felt like I was on semi-vacation as I competed last weekend but Pro wasn't there for typical post-comp lessons. We did work on a couple of things that were a little rough, or at least uneven, during the competition. He also taught me a new Foxtrot figure and reviewed some VW and W that I had been working on but dropped before the comp--they clearly weren't going to be ready. And we started working on some rhythm dances for the next team match. I spent a lot of time marveling at how comparatively good and consistent my dancing was. :hilarious: And being pleased that when he wanted something improved, for the most part I was able to deliver. I'll enjoy this for another week before tackling the next set of Difficult Improvements.

Dance Ads