how are your lessons going? thread II

FancyFeet

At lessons this week: Pro's pushing me to make decisions about shows in December and competitions next year... and I'm trying to tell him that I'm seriously struggling with motivation. Pro's all "a whole group is going and it will be fun"... and I'm saying "being one of a huge group is the opposite of what I find motivating".

Felt like we were having two separate conversations. I've been leaving him out of everything going on in my head over the last couple of months as he's been going through some heavy personal stuff, but I see now that was maybe a mistake... because we're in completely different places at the moment.

RiseNFall

Very good lessons today, also with New(ish) Guy. I requested Tango and Waltz because I felt that they were the two dances where it would be relatively easy to work on upping the overall level. We went through all of my current repertoire in both dances, then chose specific figures to pick apart. We both really enjoyed it and I made some excellent progress. Some (most) of it is "to be continued", but we were able to improve everything we wanted to.

FancyFeet

Hot mess last night in lessons... and continued to be less than spectacular in ballet. My brain was tired, and wasn't really communicating with my body. Here's hoping today will be better.

Because I'm new and I'm not that confident without any prior dancing experience, every week's group class is a bit intimidating for me. That's not a bad thing. That feeling of uncertainty and discomfort is when I feel most alive.

I had my first Latin dance lesson with Rumba. I didn't know much going into it other than there was going to be some unique body and arm movement. My experiences so far has been with Waltz and Foxtrot. So this was going into totally different territory.

I'm glad that I can push through my fears and take a leap into each and every one of these classes. It has always ended up with me learning a lot and having fun. I smile, laugh, and I'm very grateful every class. I've started to socialize with the various instructors and students that go to the studio regularly. We're all warming up to each other. I feel right at home there now.

I'll probably still have that discomfort before every class, but I know to embrace it and do it anyways now.

I can feel my life expanding in an awesome direction the more that I immerse myself with dancing.

It's hard work, but when I get the moves down after lot's of practice, it's very rewarding.

I don't know how far I'll go or what I'll be able to achieve in this new world, but I'm not waiting for the future. I'm focused on growing and dancing in a way that makes me smile. Every class and practice session is an event for me. Every small progress is an achievement to be celebrated. Every person that I come across on this journey is someone to be appreciated.

cornutt

Lesson with alternate-alternate am partner tonight, since alternate am partner is out of town... We worked on something I don't believe I have ever worked on before: synchronization when dancing choreo apart. We started out with a sequence in which partner and I, in a side-by-side position, do a back lock step (same foot) and then spin, ending up facing each other, in position to return to closed frame. We were trying to do spins in opposite directions and we could both tell, even without video, that it was a big mess. The instructor worked with us on developing a different sequence that has us both spinning in the same direction and doing the last 360 together, although we have to do different things beforehand because she does two full rotations while I only do one and a half, in order to end facing each other. After that, we worked on some other intricacies of doing spins and other apart work, such as how to create the look of being together by which way our heads face at what points, and which beats need emphasis in movement and which beats to slur. Very different from the usual lesson fare, but worthwhile.

had my lesson time in my calendar wrong yesterday and so completely missed it. grrr argh. double this wednesday to make up for it, but i had really wanted the two separate days to run rounds. DANGIT TO HECK. It's been a snowball of external crap for me since the beginning of november and i would really like dance to not be part of that.

I'm getting more and more hooked on dancing. The more I practice and show improvement, the more my instructor pushes me out of my comfort zone into many new lessons. I'm surrounded by amazing dancers there while I try to clumsily navigate out of their way. Each session is jam packed with so many things I have to work on.

My reward for working hard is that I get to work even harder. It's uncomfortable and strangely addicting. Like I'm caught in a loop of perpetual growth that I don't want to stop. I don't want to let my instructor down, the people in the studio down, or myself down.

I'm surprised by how many different styles and various techniques I can learn all at once.

I have a great instructor.

RiseNFall

I don't want to let my instructor down, the people in the studio down, or myself down.
The "don't want to let my instructor down" is usually only helpful as a minor motivator. It sometimes becomes an overblown concern--and, really, this should be pretty much all about you, not the teacher. ;)

(And I say that as somebody who tries to be supportive of the studio and my teachers.)

double lesson went well for rhythm. ran rounds twice, worked on some little things that need continued cleanup and practice. felt good, despite the rest of life KINDA SUCKING HARD.

FancyFeet

There was crying (not bawling, just a few tears), and intense discussing... and only about 10 minutes of actual dancing. Pro may finally get where my head is at, and how unhappy I am being just one of the pro-am gaggle - which made the light dawn for him on why I don't want to do things that 'everyone else' is doing, like perform at the annual studio showcase, and why I'm hesitating on committing to things next year. I've never made a secret of the fact that am-am is where I want to be, but I don't think he ever realized that it was way more than an idle "oh, that'd be nice" wish.

We cancelled my second lesson this week. Here's hoping this tough chat was where we turned a corner toward the better.

There was crying (not bawling, just a few tears), and intense discussing... and only about 10 minutes of actual dancing. Pro may finally get where my head is at, and how unhappy I am being just one of the pro-am gaggle - which made the light dawn for him on why I don't want to do things that 'everyone else' is doing, like perform at the annual studio showcase, and why I'm hesitating on committing to things next year. I've never made a secret of the fact that am-am is where I want to be, but I don't think he ever realized that it was way more than an idle "oh, that'd be nice" wish.
That's a rough talk. Have you got prospective partners? I miss AM-AM as well, and spent a lot of time looking for a partner. Never found one in my age group and skill level that could make it work. I hope you can move to that!

RiseNFall

Pro is back and we're not doing what I expected. I expected to do more on some major improvements in quality we were working on before the comp--ones that, as expected, did not quite show up there. Instead, we're working on some new figures. The VW I had worked on before, but dropped before the comp because there was no way it was going to be ready. At the moment it's got an eminent train wreck feel to it, but that means my dancing will be better once I've gotten it under control. :) The Foxtrot is jazzier than what I've done before, so that's fun, but getting it to look good will be a challenge. Waltz we had already worked on and it just needs to get a bit more consistent. Tango is a figure that is not train-wreck difficult (like the VW), but I'm having to learn quite a bit for it to feel or look good. In fact, after we did it the first time, I asked him to do it with New Guy so that I could get some idea of what I was aiming for.

Pro is being smart in that I am one of those people who is perfectly happy working on making the stuff I already know better more or less forever. This is a good time to introduce new material because we won't be competing for a while. I can at least pretend that I'll have it under control before them. ;)

cornutt

The VW I had worked on before, but dropped before the comp because there was no way it was going to be ready. At the moment it's got an eminent train wreck feel to it,...
I've long wondered about the experience of following in VW. Because leading it is a hanging-on-to-the-cliff-edge-by-your-fingernails experience... :eek:

RiseNFall

There was a looonnng period in which all of my VW felt like an eminent train wreck. I have now been dancing for something like seven years, though the first several I wasn't doing much VW. It was only the last year or so that even the basics became solidly consistent over a range of professional leaders. And down right fun only the last six or so months. I'm not sure I've ever danced VW with an amateur, because I haven't been doing much social dancing recently and before that it wouldn't have seemed fair to the leader ("hey, I can barely do this with my teachers, wanna give it a shot?"), let alone safe. I agree with the :eek:.

Went to my first waltz group class. It's the first style I've learned during private lessons. It's my bread and butter. I did really well. It was all familiar stuff, but I still took the basics seriously. Dancing with a lot of different people with varying skills.

I'm getting confident with leading. I'm not so apologetic anymore during mistakes. I feel at home at the studio now.

Some of the people I've met won't be around anymore. Some will be back around 2 months. Kind of sucks since we just started to get to know each other. A new guy showed up. His first lesson ever. Feels weird not being the new guy anymore. Mix of consistent goers and people I've never seen before come to each class.

I'm starting to get compliments from various people.

I love coming extra early just to warm up, chill out, and watch the children who are amazing dancers practicing. They're the most consistent people. Always there when I go there.

My private instructor has high hopes for me. She's keeps amping up the lessons everytime. I welcome the challenge. I'll be ready for our next one.

Only 1 group class and 1 private lesson left for 2017. I'll make the most of it. I'll practice hard during the time off in December.

I wanted to do so well for this private class. I went into it so confident, but for whatever reason it just wasn't my day. Everything just fell apart and I felt slow mentally.

I learned a lot and I know it's all just part of the process.

A little frustrated, but I'll be back at it again tomorrow.

It was a humbling experience.

FancyFeet

@entheos we all have days where it's like we've completely forgotten how to dance or left our brains at home. As you improve, you get better at camouflaging and working through those days... but they still happen. I've learned that - for me anyway - getting frustrated is the worst way to deal. I try to just accept how it is that day, and keep working at it.

Dance Ads