How do you make dancing fun for followers who can't stay on beat?

if someone is dancing off time, its probably because you are grooving to something that makes no sense to them.....like if an On2 dancer dances with an On1 dancer that doesnt know what dancing On2 is.........my only advise is to figure out what makes her basic comfortable, dance THAT, and THEN do nice, simple moves =) but chances are that if you do just that...you will realize that she can do more than you thought =)

People usually dance off beat unintentionally for two reasons, I think. One is that she has a hard time finding the beat. You can tell this by dancing a few basic steps. Two, is that you lead her to do something that she doesn't have the skill to do yet, so she slows down to think it through (It's as it you can see the wheels cranking in her head). And then she realizes she's off beat but she doesn't know how to get back on because she's not experienced. In the former situation, you have to be really solid on your beat and have to have very good- solid, body rhythm. If you can pull that off, you can keep her on the beat to a great extent. In the later, you'll have to find a modification of the moves you lead like a single turn instead of dble, outside traveling turns instead of inside, etc. I have stopped trying to use my arms to get her to move faster. That'd just get her off of her balance, and then it'd get messy. And then try to get her on the beat again on the next measure.

Kudos to you for trying to make the basics more fun. I know what it's like to look at a girl when you know all you can do comfortably well with her are just a few basics meanwhile knowing in the back of your mind that she's expecting to be swept off her feet.
Good advice...

Hmmm, lots of good answers here...but I find it hard to believe that "a lot of the girls just cannot lock into the rhythm of salsa" and "some of them are even teachers". Perhaps the leader is hearing something different?? It's possible. I have danced with guys who think they're on the beat, in fact they're convinced of it, and they are not. I guess I am saying if the original poster finds THAT many followers can't stay on the beat, maybe it's him. Just saying.:confused:

tangotime

Hmmm, lots of good answers here...but I find it hard to believe that "a lot of the girls just cannot lock into the rhythm of salsa" and "some of them are even teachers".
/quote]

Dancing on time and dancing rhythmically are mutually exclusive in many cases . Its one of the most common faults ( in all genres ).. and, dont confuse " teaching " with dancing.. there are many great dancers, but that does not always correspond into great teaching.. teaching takes many years to develop the requisite skills ( note the many 123, 567 types )..

Dance Ads