Jewelry - competing/costume

Miss Silly

I'm in the process of moving/trying to sell my condo so most of my things are in storage. I couldn't find the necklace but I did have the bracelet on hand. It is a double-layer (except for where the velcro is).

Miss Silly

No problemo! You can see i have a few stones missing on it. I don't think the best glue was used in the first place, so that's probably an easy fix. The velcro was just glued as well, so it's a total non-sew project (although i know you sew because i like to follow your blog ;-P) but good to note for anyone else who doesn't like to sew.

kckc

A friend and I debated about the base of this necklace and finally decided it was a caramel color microsuede fabric. Whether that is correct or not we don't know, but she ordered some on Ebay and decided it was more than adequate for necklace purposes. We figured the applique and stones glued on there would help to hold its form but still retain some pliability.
It is gorgeous, isn't it! And no, I didn't make it :)

mindputtee

Thanks for that! How do you (or your wife) think it would differ at all with the silicone backing? I've noticed some of my necklaces the stones and glue are peeling away, I suspect it has something to do with the glue not mixing well with the silicone.

jiwinco

I bought some great earrings at Yankee last year, but they're orange and my new rhythm dress is turquoise. I've tried random department stores and DanceShopper, but haven't really found anything that works. DanceShopper only had rhinestone hoops, which I can easily make myself. I tried Etsy and the like, so I guess I'll just make some hoops if I have to. Are there any other good ballroom jewelers?

also, I've been looking at hairpieces. I've stoned a dress before so I'm thinking about just making my own, but I haven't found any tutorials. What is the material used to make them? something soft like leather or moleskin? and how is it attached? pins?
Yes, me! Sorry for the self promotion, but I am proud of my work. I will do custom colors upon request

middy

About how much does all this cost for a necklace - to make it yourself? I'm sure it saves a lot of money compared to the $100-250 that a vendor will charge. I'm guessing it would take about 5-7 gross of stones? Obviously will cost more if you use sew-ons or multiple sizes.

Last edited:

Egorich

About how much does all this cost for a necklace? I'm sure it saves a lot of money compared to the $100-250 that a vendor will charge. I'm guessing it would take about 5-7 gross of stones? Obviously will cost more if you use sew-ons or multiple sizes.
I guess it depends what kind of stones they use and the amount of time spent on the application. Vendors have it hard! I spoke to a couple at the competition, they have to pay a certain amount to the organizers for the space and sometimes even the percentage of sales.

jiwinco

I guess it depends what kind of stones they use and the amount of time spent on the application. Vendors have it hard! I spoke to a couple at the competition, they have to pay a certain amount to the organizers for the space and sometimes even the percentage of sales.
It is really tough on vendors, they have to charge enough to cover the cost of the event. Table fee ($800+), plus 10% of the gross, plus hotel, food, shipping of all the merchandise, or driving to the event. There is a reason that it is expensive at competitions. I do know that several of the jewelry vendors do very well, so don't feel too sorry for them. But there is a reason their prices are what they are.

Middy, you don't need that many stones depending on the design, but most designs take lots of sizes and shapes, so it requires a large inventory of stones, and the cut out designs are very labor intensive.

Egorich

It is really tough on vendors, they have to charge enough to cover the cost of the event. Table fee ($800+), plus 10% of the gross, plus hotel, food, shipping of all the merchandise, or driving to the event. There is a reason that it is expensive at competitions. I do know that several of the jewelry vendors do very well, so don't feel too sorry for them. But there is a reason their prices are what they are.

Middy, you don't need that many stones depending on the design, but most designs take lots of sizes and shapes, so it requires a large inventory of stones, and the cut out designs are very labor intensive.
You said it!

Dance Ads