Limits

dancingdragon said:
We have a similar problem in our studio - many people just come for fun and don't take their dancing as seriously as I do, they don't practice between classes and don't pick things up very quickly when we learn a new step. That holds back the people who are ready to advance. Unfortunately, it's a small city with not very many options - e.g. privates, or moving to a different studio - so we all have to accomodate each others' goals and try and make the best of it. I have heard that people who don't do competitions and medal tests get annoyed with the focus that our teacher places on exam routines and technique in the weeks approaching exam time - guess you can't please all the people all the time, right?
Mine is a big studio, in fact the biggest I have yet to come across, and the classes are specifically for the exam. They do have social group classes for people who arent interested in exams and medals, Thats why it irritates me so much, if they werent interested in their medals why sign up for the medal class when the social class is cheaper and you pay as you go.

I have to agree with everyone on the partner issue...sure there are lots of people I dance with regularly but only socially. Id love to have a regular practice partner!

ShyDancer said:
Mine is a big studio, in fact the biggest I have yet to come across, and the classes are specifically for the exam. They do have social group classes for people who arent interested in exams and medals, Thats why it irritates me so much, if they werent interested in their medals why sign up for the medal class when the social class is cheaper and you pay as you go.
Well in that case you have an excellent point ShyDancer! It's pretty inconsiderate to sign up for a specicifcally medal-focussed class then not put in the work. What do the instructors have to say about that?

Dance Ads