list of dance books

liz

Every now and then someone will name different books that are a good read for dancers. I would really like to order some of them.But, I haven't kept track of all the names. I thought we should have a list... Anyone want to start?:p

CANI

Some I recall...

Dance to Your Maximum: The Competitve Ballroom Dancer's Workbook by Maximiliaan Winkelhuis

Dance Anatomy and Kinesiology: Principles and exercises for improving techinque and avoiding common injuries by Karen Clippinger

Inner Focus Outer Strength: Using Imagery and Exercise for Health, Strength and Beauty by Eric Franklin

Ideokinesis: A Creative Approach to Human Movement & Body Alignment by Andre Bernard, Wolfgang Steinmuller, Ursula Stricker

Zen Body-Being: An Enlightened Approach to Physical Skill, Grace, and Power by Peter Ralston

SDsalsaguy

Administrator
Staff member
There's an excellent list of recommended books (including reviews of each) by Michael Mead at:

dancesportcomps.com/Visitors/Recommended_Books

tangotime

Every now and then someone will name different books that are a good read for dancers. I would really like to order some of them.But, I haven't kept track of all the names. I thought we should have a list... Anyone want to start?:p

These are probably more Historical than than technical........

Dance in Society.... Dr Francis Rust

Folk Dances of Latin America.... Lisa Lekis

Social Dance, a Short History.. Arthur Franks

The Dancers Heritage... Ivor Guest

The Dancing Master... Frank Borrows

World History of Dance... Curt sachs

A History of English Ballroom Dancing ( 1910 - 45 )... PJS Richardson

QPO

thanks to everyone some great choices. I heard of one this week but not necessarily about dancing "So you think you can change your Mind" by Michael Venezuela, how to stay off illness in the mind and he highly recommends dancing for everything mentally, spiritually and socially :)

mamboqueen

How helpful are dance books? I'm very much of a visual learner, so I would need "book on DVD"
I'm the same way, Bella, but I think these books are still suitable (at least if they're not showing you step patterns). Funny...many of them teach visualization techniques. Not sure you can visualize visualization *lol*

Dance Ads