Manhattan Dancesport Championships - 2008

What??? No thread on this comp yet? It's one of the best comps of the year!

FYI, got word from a fellow dancer that the discounted rate for the Brooklyn Marriott is not available anymore as the rooms for the comp/group rate are all booked.

Discuss.

Laura

AAA rate for this hotel during the comp is $279, far more than the comp rate. It pays to plan ahead! I always book the hotel well in advance when I think I'm going to a comp, so long as I can cancel without penalty if my plans change.

Anyway, yep I'm going...very excited!

Laura

Maybe "they" don't know it's sold out -- the hotel doesn't actually tell the organizers this when it happens. When NorCal ran Nationals in 2006 we had to "up" our room block (also at a Marriott) three times due to it selling out, and we only knew about it selling out when competitors called or emailed me to complain, or posted here. So try calling the organizers and telling them that the room block has sold out and see if they can help.

Maybe "they" don't know it's sold out -- the hotel doesn't actually tell the organizers this when it happens. When NorCal ran Nationals in 2006 we had to "up" our room block (also at a Marriott) three times due to it selling out, and we only knew about it selling out when competitors called or emailed me to complain, or posted here. So try calling the organizers and telling them that the room block has sold out and see if they can help.
Already contacted them. Hoping they can work it out.

mamboqueen

You can always get a hotel in Jersey and commute over. It's not that bad, time-wise. I think most hotels in the Secaucus area have shuttles to the Port Authority, where you can then catch a subway to Brooklyn.

mamboqueen

Actually so much of the competition is in the tri-state area....I think because of the holiday you may not get as many non-locals there. But I could be wrong. It just seemed it was mostly NY/NJ competitors when I was there.

The room blocked was increased this year by 20% as we sold out last year as well but we have never sold out this early. I talked with the hotel yesterday about adding a second room block which they are going to do sometime today or tomorrow. The rate won't be as low as $169 but it will be much better than the regular rate of $316. I would love to block out the whole hotel but if the rooms dont fill then the organizer is responsible for paying for them which is a bit of a scary risk. Thanks to all of you that continue to make this event such a success.

Dance Ads