Nasty feet/shoe smell. How to deal?

Dancing makes the feet sweat and smell, and worse still, the smell often stays with the shoes. How to make the smell go away or at least reduce it? Any recommendations?

you can buy sprays for removing/suppressing shoe odor. another options is to rotate between two shoes, and leave the 'unused' shoe in the open. that way, each of the shoes will accumulate the stinkiness at a far slower rate ;)

Our coaches use cedar shoe trees. We meticulously dry our shoes, and use a sheet of Bounce to spruce the scent up. Also, you can prep your feet with powders etc. to reduce smelling :).

tuxedosam said:
Dancing makes the feet sweat and smell, and worse still, the smell often stays with the shoes. How to make the smell go away or at least reduce it? Any recommendations?
My wife has that problem. I put her shoes on the air purifier in our basement for a day, right after we get home from dancing. That seems to work pretty good.

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
lots of past threads on this...my solution is gross but works...i make a paste out of comet and bursh it inot the inside then let it dry in the sun and brush the residue out with my shoe brush...and I alternate my shoes alot

Peaches

Twilight_Elena said:
Have you tried wearing a latin sandal with socks? It's very slippery. I can't even wear stockings!

T_E
Hmmm...seems like stockings are slippery-er than socks.

There's a girl/intern/teacher-in-training at "my" AT studio--she's always wearing socks with her latin sandals. I have yet to figure out why...or to ask.

Peaches

fascination said:
lots of past threads on this...my solution is gross but works...i make a paste out of comet and bursh it inot the inside then let it dry in the sun and brush the residue out with my shoe brush...and I alternate my shoes alot
Do you do this with leather shoes? Does it ruin the leather?

It sounds like a great idea, but I'd hate to damage my good shoes, especially since I can't really get a replacement pair.

OTOH, sweat and whatnot is kind of damaging anyway...

I put on clean socks before donning my shoes. They get transported in a light cloth bag which can breathe (no plastic bags). Once home, the shoes get set in front of a small fan for an hour or so to dry them out. Works well.

I spritz mine with Febreze deodorant spray whenever they approach ripeness. It's been working fine. Supposedly the deodorizing ingredient is a modified starch with a trace of zinc chloride. Doesn't seem too toxic and it hasn't done any damage to the shoes either.

Dance Ads