Ostrich Feather Boa

Hi Gang!
A quick question(s). Where can I get a good Ostrich feather boa? How Can I tell the quality? How many plies?

I never thought that having a dress with feather could be so complicated!

I want it to be as thick as the layer she has on top in the following picture:

Please HELP!

and123

Vintage ballgowns usually have 2-3 rows of feather poofs. Are you looking for a particular color? I have harvested quite a few of them from old gowns.

and123

Ack, red is the one color I avoid. I have lots and lots of orange boas. They can be dyed, IIRC. Never tried it myself though.

Ron

http://www.ostrich.com/shop/cat?cmd=feather-index

This is where I have bought all my feathers. They are very expensive.

and123

I have bought from them as well. If you can get information on how to dye feathers (seems to be some info on Google, or maybe someone here has tried it?), I'd be more than happy to sell you orange boas reeeeally cheap. Unfortunately I do not have red.

As for ply, you can either use multiple lesser ply or fewer higher ply. I think I have some 4-ply ostrich boa from them, and it's pretty sad looking. Definitely not the happy fluffy poofy hem effect you're looking for.

BTW Chrisanne sells 5 plies. I wish I could have a real picture of what 4 or 5 plies looks like Ostrich.com has a close up, but I would like to see the whole thing :(

and123

Well, they do give an approximate "poof" diameter on the ostrich.com site, so that helps a bit. Perhaps what I bought was 2-ply.... not 100% sure. But their 4-ply doesn't quite look poofy enough either, even if there were two rows.

(~8 inches wide)

I am looking for where to buy for good quality Ostrich Boa's too. I have checked ostrich.com, DSI Chrisanne...they are all very expensive... I think I like 5ply or more in white. Please share information if you know a good place to buy the Ostrich Boa. Thank you!

I bought mine from Chrisanne. I don't think you can get too cheap with them b/c when they're unreasonably cheap, they tend to mix the feathers w/ marabo. How many boas do you need?

I bought mine from Chrisanne. I don't think you can get too cheap with them b/c when they're unreasonably cheap, they tend to mix the feathers w/ marabo. How many boas do you need?
I would like to apply boas to the hem of my standatd gown. I mesured my skirt hem, it's 13m long. If I buy it from Chrisane, I need 8 pc Boas cost about $700!

I would like to apply boas to the hem of my standatd gown. I mesured my skirt hem, it's 13m long. If I buy it from Chrisane, I need 8 pc Boas cost about $700!
oh i feel your pain... i needed 7 boas for my latin dress. It really jacked up the price of the dress. hmm, i think i saw a site with slightly cheaper boas before, lemme see can i dig them up.

Joe

FWIW, Ostriches Online (ostrich.com) is closing and I guess they're blowing out their product. Boas are 75% off, feathers are 80% off, etc. Promo code CLOSEOUT2011. If you're going to be needing some ostrich feathers in the near future, might be a good time to stock up.

Dance Ads