Patterns in swing

Alias said:
What is meant more precisely by "technique" as focused in a class?
I like the "how" explanation.

If you focus on technique, you teach fewer moves and go into detail on them, working on whatever that make people perform them better.

blue said:
2) Doing my steps by myself. Quite a few leaders will like this. They do not know they do, though, because they do not know they are not actually leading the moves.
This is it exactly! In the class, all the leaders thought -and the instructor thought-they had the moves!!!!!! But the followers were doing the steps. We knew what would be next and did it.

blue said:
Alias said:
What is meant more precisely by "technique" as focused in a class?
I like the "how" explanation.

If you focus on technique, you teach fewer moves and go into detail on them, working on whatever that make people perform them better.
I would like to (and I would like my dh to) learn more technique. I suppose the only way to do that is to do it in private lessons. In the original post, I did say that this was an intermediate ec class and I guess that is what I thought we would be doing. Not just learning patterns.

Alias said:
In swing dances (and salsa dances) there are a few basic steps that allow to do almost all the moves (in WCS and Lindy you can learn figures with specific steps but that's another story), and as a follower you'd better know them in order to be able to follow almost any move, this is not the same concept as in Ballroom where you learn the steps for each figure.
One learns these basic steps in beginners or low intermediate class, then the moves are about the lot of combinations of arms and hands connections between the leader and the follower.

The leader is the one who has to learn the moves (with the possibilities with the arms and hands) and will have to manage them on the fly.
That was an interesting observation. I wonder if this is why swing classes often look the way they do: possibly they are originally modelled after ballroom classes. I hear people saying that in their scene, there are lots of women in the beginner classes and more women than men at the venues, but more men than women in the more advanced classes. Not strange, if what is being taught almost entirely focus on the leader's perspective.

The follower can improve the technical execution of her own movement in some various moves in class, and in a pattern she knows what will happen so she can try footwork and movements with her body.
Personally I can think of many other things of working on that, that I prefer to patterns. Patterns teach me how to do stuff without being led, and I think patterns give me bad habits.

Swingolder said:
I would like to (and I would like my dh to) learn more technique. I suppose the only way to do that is to do it in private lessons. In the original post, I did say that this was an intermediate ec class and I guess that is what I thought we would be doing. Not just learning patterns.
It depends. I have been in classes where quite a lot of technique was taught. I would search if I could find teachers that teach differently.

Alias said:
randomMysh said:
... I don't like learning steps, that's for the leads!
In swing dances (and salsa dances) there are a few basic steps that allow to do almost all the moves (in WCS and Lindy you can learn figures with specific steps but that's another story), and as a follower you'd better know them in order to be able to follow almost any move, this is not the same concept as in Ballroom where you learn the steps for each figure.

The follower can improve the technical execution of her own movement in some various moves in class, and in a pattern she knows what will happen so she can try footwork and movements with her body.
Um, it isn't the followers responsibility to do anything but follow. There are no social dance moves in lindy hop that require the follower to do anything other than:
1. maintain proper posture
2. keep a dynamic frame
3. let the leader begin her movement, alter her direction and increase and retard her momentum
4. keep her feet moving and under her body
5. have fun

That is it. Any move that requires the follower to know how to respond is either being lead wrong or is not a social lindy hop move.

About the only real exception to this is Charleston... but then again that is technically a different dance, even though it is included in the lindy hop lexicon.

I wonder, are you really talking about the same thing? It is often said that to follow a dance you need certain basic elements of it. I would guess that both eight count and six count steps belong to those basic elements; the rest of the moves are the variation that Alias talks about.

Or?

Dance Ads