Philly Fest 2008

I will be there.

I was looking at all the events, and I have a newbie question... What's the difference between "open scholarship" and "closed scholarship"? Just curious!

samina

I will be there.

I was looking at all the events, and I have a newbie question... What's the difference between "open scholarship" and "closed scholarship"? Just curious!
closed is limited to the syllabus figures defined by the event -- in some cases there are separate bronze, silver, and gold closed scholarships. at the philly comp, it's one combined bronze/silver/gold closed scholarship.

open allows choreography outside of syllabus. the elite level of dancing for pro-amers. :)

Thanks, sam!

Another newbie question: The rules say "ALL PRO-AM EVENTS WILL BE UNISEX AND JUDGED TOGETHER." Does that happen a lot in ballroom comps? This is my first ballroom competition. I have done country dancing competitions before, and they always judge the men and women separately - at least, that's been my experience!

samina

Thanks, sam!

Another newbie question: The rules say "ALL PRO-AM EVENTS WILL BE UNISEX AND JUDGED TOGETHER." Does that happen a lot in ballroom comps? This is my first ballroom competition. I have done country dancing competitions before, and they always judge the men and women separately - at least, that's been my experience!
In my experience, the men are generaLly judged separately in single dances, but the men & women are judged together in the scholarships. This may be the only event I've done where they are mixed for all events.

Thanks, sam!

This doesn't ever happen, but I really hope its true. It's no fun for me dancing uncontested.

Larinda McRaven

Site Moderator
Staff member
Yes, it is the norm at a few competitions I know.

Specifically American Star Ball and New Jersey State. COnsidering the organizers of Philly and the ASB/NJS are friends I can see how they might share similar ideas.

Thanks, everyone! You all have been so great with answering my questions!

I have one more: Do pro-am heats regularly contain more than one level of dancing and/or more than one age group level? Or is that only done to combine uncontested levels? (I noticed that there is at least one heat where I am listed along with someone competing at a different age level, and at least one heat where I am listed along with someone competing at a different "skill level", if that's a good thing to call it - I am Newcomer and the other person is Full Bronze.)

latingal

I have one more: Do pro-am heats regularly contain more than one level of dancing and/or more than one age group level? Or is that only done to combine uncontested levels?
Hi CGITS! In my experience with pro-am, many age and level categories (whether contested or uncontested) can be on the floor in the same heat/dance.

Katarzyna

Just a quick off topic comment, anyone planning to do rutgets on a way to philly??? looking for someone to share car rental with :)

Pro Latin:

1. Ilya and Nadya
2. Nikolai and Tanya
3. Nikolai and Natasha
4. Alex and Lydia
5. (not sure of guys name) and Irina Boubnovskaia
6. Plamen and Radostina
7. Rene Ostarek & Bronislava

Dance Ads