Recipes thread

pygmalion

btw, does anybody besides me find it ironic that this, the recipes thread, has been totally hijacked away from containing any recipes? Yet countless other non-recipe threads are full of the darn things! :lol:

pygmalion said:
A former dance teacher of mine used to use the illustration of his pet bird to help me understand the concept of balance as it relates to dance. But I think the same concept applies here, too. He told me that he used to spend time watching his bird stand on the perch (or whatever that thingie that birds stand on is called. :lol: ) The bird, to a casual observer, appeared to be balanced and standing perfectly still. But, if you looked closely, you'd see the bird constantly correcting his balance -- always in motion, even when he was asleep.

I agree with you, Rosa. I think it's impossible to find equilibrium. I think it takes constant motion or corrections (or whatever the emotional equivalent of what birds do) in order to find some balance in our lives. At least that's what I've seen. :cool:
Yeah, a process of constant change and correction...

Sounds like life!

Rosa :)

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
pygmalion said:
btw, does anybody besides me find it ironic that this, the recipes thread, has been totally hijacked away from containing any recipes? Yet countless other non-recipe threads are full of the darn things! :lol:

lets see:

roast pork loin in the crock pot:

a quart of apple cider
fresh rosemary (the more the better)
two cloves of garlic....

throw it all in and cook the daylights out of it

really good meatball sauce

2 cans of sauerkraut, 2 cans of whole cranberry sauce, 2 btls of heinz chili sauce...homemade or frozen meatballs...same concept....throw in crock pot

:cool:

pygmalion

:lol: Love it!

Has anybody ever made the crock pot roast beef with a bottle of beer? One of my dance teachers used to swear by that recipe. It was roast beef, beer and one other ingredient. I just can't remember what the other ingredient was. Anybody know?

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
pygmalion said:

Has anybody ever made the crock pot roast beef with a bottle of beer? One of my dance teachers used to swear by that recipe. It was roast beef, beer and one other ingredient. I just can't remember what the other ingredient was. Anybody know?
no but my mom always boils her sausage on beer before browning it

pygmalion said:

Yeah, I've often done beef with beer. Or steak in ale, as we call it over here. :D

Think the other ingredient would almost certainly have been onions.

pygmalion

Rosa said:
Yeah, I've often done beef with beer. Or steak in ale, as we call it over here. :D

Think the other ingredient would almost certainly have been onions.

Yeah. That's what I was thinking, although I couldn't remember. :cool: Or he may have recommended dried onion soup mix. (Do you have that in the UK?)

pygmalion said:
Yeah. That's what I was thinking, although I couldn't remember. :cool: Or he may have recommended dried onion soup mix. (Do you have that in the UK?)
Yeah, we have it. But it's just as easy to chop up an onion and fling it in. No worries! :D

pygmalion

Rosa said:
Yeah, we have it. But it's just as easy to chop up an onion and fling it in. No worries! :D

I prefer fresh onion, but sometimes use a combination of the two, since the soup already has salt and some other flavorings in it. :cool:

AHA! I found it. :D

C is for Cookie...

Chocolate Double Chocolate Chip Cookies

1/2 pound unsalted butter at room temperature
1and a half cup light brown sugar, packed
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 extra-large eggs at room temperature
2/3 cup good unsweetened cocoa
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 pounds good white chocolate, coarsely chopped (I used both white chocolate and dark bakers chocolate for this)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Cream the butter and both sugars until light and fluffy . Add the vanilla, then the eggs, 1 at a time, and mix well. Add the cocoa and mix again. Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt and add to the chocolate with the mixer on low speed until just combined. Fold in the chopped chocolate.

Drop the dough on a baking sheet Dampen your hands and flatten the dough slightly. Bake for approximately 11- 12 minutes for soft chewy cookies.
Classic Peanut Butter Cookies

1/2 cup of butter
creamed in 1 cup of brown sugar
mix in 2 teaspoons of vanilla
add to this 1 cup of peanut butter
1 egg beaten into this mixture

Then fold in
1 cup of flour
1 teaspoon of baking soda

Roll the cookies into balls and press a fork into them. Bake them at 350 for about 9-10 minutes

These are super good with chocolate chips in them too.
Dru's Fudgy Triple Chocolate Cookie Recipe
Super-rich and super-decadent, I came up with this recipe yesterday.
6 oz of unsweetened or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
10 Tbsp butter or margarine
1 1/2 C brown sugar
1/2 C white sugar
4 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 C cacao nibs
2 C flour
1/2 C cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Melt the chocolate gently over a double boiler (unless using Baker's chocolate, which can be melted directly in a pan, or even in the microwave); set aside and allow to cool to body temperature.

Preheat oven to 350º F. Sift tothether the last four ingredients; set aside.Cream the butter and sugars together until light and fluffy; add the eggs and vanilla and beat until fluffy. Add the cooled chocolate and cacao nibs and mix until well combined. With a wooden spoon, stir in the dry ingredients until uniformly combined.

Drop cookies by rounded tablespoons onto a parchment- or waxed paper-lined cookie sheet 1 inch apart. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes - cookies should still be soft! Allow to cool on the cookie sheet at least 10 minutes before transferring to the wire rack to finish cooling. This will make fudgy, delicious cookies, almost too rich!

Modifications: If you're not at a point in your chocolate addiction where you can enjoy cacao nibs you may use bittersweet chocolate chunks.

Okay, to prove that I'm not only chocolate-centric, this is what I'm making for dinner tonight:

Chicken Pot Pie

1 tablespoon each olive oil and butter
1 large onion, chopped
2 teaspoons finely minced garlic
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons dried tarragon
3 carrots, halved and cut into 1-inch pieces (1 1/2 cups)
1 cup peeled and diced (1/2-inch) russet potatoes
1 Granny Smith apple, cored and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas
1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
1 medium-sized ripe tomato, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice
2 1/2 cups diced cooked chicken
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 sheet prepared puff pastry (1/2 pound), thawed if frozen
1 egg mixed with 1 tablespoon water

1. Heat the oil and butter in a pot over low heat. Add the onion; cook, stirring, for 10 minutes. Add the garlic; cook 2 minutes more. Sprinkle with the flour and tarragon; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 to 2 minutes more.
2. Add the carrots, potatoes, apple, and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cook, partially covered, until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Add the peas, dill, tomato, and chicken; season to taste with salt and pepper, then cook 5 minutes more.

3. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spoon the mixture into a 2-quart round ovenproof casserole. On a lightly floured surface, roll puff pastry out to form a circle 2 inches larger than the casserole. Brush some egg wash around the inside and outside rim of the casserole. Lay the pastry over the top, trim the overhang to 1 inch, and crimp the edges around the rim to seal. Cut several slits in the pastry to release the steam, then brush with remaining egg wash. Bake until crust is golden, 40 to 45 minutes.

samina

yummmm....

haven't made chicken pot pie for ages... next time i roast a chicken that's what i'll plan to do with the leftovers

Well, my ankle flared up during my lesson earlier today, so I'm not going into the studio to practice tonight. That means I can go home and take the time to make a proper dinner.

samina

Well, my ankle flared up during my lesson earlier today, so I'm not going into the studio to practice tonight. That means I can go home and take the time to make a proper dinner.
you're going home to stand in your kitchen for an hour cooking?

see, if it were me and my ankle flared up, i'd pick up pizza on the way home and eat it with my feet up and a glass of zin by my side... :rolleyes:

Not quite. I can do most of what I need to while sitting down. Also, I have a nifty little tensor-like wrap that has a pocket for an ice pack, so I can keep it iced while I'm up and about.

Other than dinner though, the order for the night is to curl up on the couch with my book and a big, comfy blanket.

Dance Ads